3D Printing. Is it UV and Heat resistant (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
This is a question I have asked myself many times.
3 years back when I knew very little about how 3D printed materials would last in the sun, i started a little experiment to really test ASA filament which is used in 3D printing. Would it last last. ?
This was a test for UV and severe heat from a Truma boiler flue.
I made a replacement cowling with integrated deflector and watched, expecting the cowling to just gradually deform and fail. Well. 3 years on, this 3D printed cowling is still in the same condition it was when first made it. So the answer to the question, will it last. Most definitely it will.
So anyone thinking of printing parts for outside use or subject to heat. ASA is the the filament that can do the job. 3 year old part below.

IMG_0640.jpegIMG_0641.jpeg
Happy that it was robust and could take the abuse thrown at it from the boilers hot exhaust gases, I’ve made a new one incorporating design improvements I’ve learnt over the last 3 years making it look smarter.

IMG_0606.jpegIMG_0612.jpeg

Hope this was informative for funster 3D printing enthusiasts.

PaulandChrissy 👍

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
3 years back when I knew very little about how 3D printed materials would last in the sun, i started a little experiment to really test ASA filament which is used in 3D printing. Woul
Does 3D printing in ASA cause memory loss and an inability to finish sentences .... LOL 😆 😆

Seriously though, I think you're one of the most experienced on here, so if anyone would know, I'm sure you would .. (y) I know that you have helped me out a couple of times so thanks.

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
3 years back when I knew very little about how 3D printed materials would last in the sun, i started a little experiment to really test ASA filament which is used in 3D printing. Would it last last. ?
This was a test for UV and severe heat from a Truma boiler flue.
I made a replacement cowling with integrated deflector and watched, expecting the cowling to just gradually deform and fail. Well. 3 years on, this 3D printed cowling is still in the same condition it was when first made it. So the answer to the question, will it last. Most definitely it will.
So anyone thinking of printing parts for outside use or subject to heat. ASA is the the filament that can do the job. 3 year old part below.

View attachment 931744View attachment 931745
Happy that it was robust and could take the abuse thrown at it from the boilers hot exhaust gases, I’ve made a new one incorporating design improvements I’ve learnt over the last 3 years making it look smarter.

View attachment 931751View attachment 931752

Hope this was informative for funster 3D printing enthusiasts.

PaulandChrissy 👍
If you've made and installed a "new, improved" version can you judge (non-destructively) whether MK1 has become brittle due to UV?

I find the plethora of choices of filament types bewildering, what with printer manufacturer's own consumables and 3rd party suppliers. It's inkjet cartridges all over again ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PaulandChrissy
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
If you've made and installed a "new, improved" version can you judge (non-destructively) whether MK1 has become brittle due to UV?

I find the plethora of choices of filament types bewildering, what with printer manufacturer's own consumables and 3rd party suppliers. It's inkjet cartridges all over again ...
I have given Mk1 version a bit of twisting and stress and it feels no different to the new Mk2. The makes of ASA I use is Prusa, Winkle from Spain or Filamentum.
Sunlu is another good make for PETG.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I have been using a creality 3 pro and been happy with it and am considering moving up to an enclosed printer so I can print in ABS and also improve my prints

Any recommendations under £400??

OP
OP
PaulandChrissy
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Does 3D printing in ASA cause memory loss and an inability to finish sentences .... LOL 😆 😆

Seriously though, I think you're one of the most experienced on here, so if anyone would know, I'm sure you would .. (y) I know that you have helped me out a couple of times so thanks.
My fat fingers pressed post before I had finished. Plus my hands have a tendency to shake. All part of the aging process
🤣🤣🤣🤣

OP
OP
PaulandChrissy
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
I have been using a creality 3 pro and been happy with it and am considering moving up to an enclosed printer so I can print in ABS and also improve my prints

Any recommendations under £400??
Make your own enclosure. It makes printer maintenance easier. Just lift your enclosure off for good access when working on it. As long as your printer has an all metal hot end you will be fine. I only have personal experience with Prusa printers. The only one in the £400 range is the Prusa Mini, but it’s only 180x180x180. If you’re going to try ABS, just go straight onto ASA. It warps less. Watching UTube reviews, the Bambi machines seem very tempting.

OP
OP
PaulandChrissy
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Make your own enclosure. It makes printer maintenance easier. Just lift your enclosure off for good access when working on it. As long as your printer has an all metal hot end you will be fine. I only have personal experience with Prusa printers. The only one in the £400 range is the Prusa Mini, but it’s only 180x180x180. If you’re going to try ABS, just go straight onto ASA. It warps less. Watching UTube reviews, the Bambi machines seem very tempting.
Fat fingers again. It’s Bambu Labs not Bambi. 🤪

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I'm tempted to follow your suggestion re building my own enclosure. I suppose it really only needs one clear side to see through, the rest could be plywood?
Is the top also enclosed, if so what about the heat generated and keeping the temp from overheating?

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I'm tempted to follow your suggestion re building my own enclosure. I suppose it really only needs one clear side to see through, the rest could be plywood?
Is the top also enclosed, if so what about the heat generated and keeping the temp from overheating?

Computer fan cowled over the top?

OP
OP
PaulandChrissy
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
I designed and printed the corners, and bought Perspex sheets pre cut to size. Plywood is just as good. Then just assemble it. Don’t worry about it overheating, it will find its own level. I have 2 printers in one enclosure that I made and it levels out at about 30-35c. Just perfect for ASA or ABS. Not a great picture below showing it, but it’s all I can find at the moment. The top is enclosed as well.

IMG_5787.jpeg

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Just seen this

OP
OP
PaulandChrissy
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Just seen this
I can’t get the link to work 😢

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
The Hope bikes that GB team are using in olympic velodrome are printed titanium. Made in Barnsley. £50k a pop if you want to buy one.
EDIT: Not Barnsley, Barnoldswick which, as any fule noes, is on the right side of the Pennines

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
The Hope bikes that GB team are using in olympic velodrome are printed titanium. Made in Barnsley. £50k a pop if you want to buy one.
EDIT: Not Barnsley, Barnoldswick which, as any fule noes, is on the right side of the Pennines
The 3D printed metals are amazing, some of these metal parts are done by a process called Direct Metal Laser Sintering, very simply put the laser melts metal powder and it forms into the designed shape.

Every Formula 1 car has some DMLS 3D metal printed parts, also one of the airliners (cannot remember if Airbus or Boeing) has window frames that are metal printed.

Here is a part that I had done in aluminium.
DSC03134.JPG

And some parts from the recent 3D print show in Birmingham.

20240605_152922.jpg

20240605_152838.jpg

OP
OP
PaulandChrissy
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
I’ve been watching these (Selective Laser Sintering) SLS printers. Still a bit expensive and they are very messy. They are getting cheaper though. Give it another year or two and someone will start making a hobbyist version at a good price. Very exciting. 😉

Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Just got a Flashforge 5M pro that is enclosed and gets good reviews, I will test this week. £395.00
Last night I set up the Flashforge Adventurer 5M Pro. The setup was straightforward: unpacked the printer, loosened the travel clamps, and loaded the filament.

The printer goes through a setup routine that takes about 8 minutes and is then ready to print.

In the video below you can see the first trial print taking place, I must stress that this video is not speeded up in any way, it is real-time. The speed and quality is unbelievable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back