Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 22, 2018
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey 68-2
Exp
Since 2019
I noticed my two leisure batteries had died the other day (one showing no charge and the other less than 10v) despite being on hook-up at home. They were around 5 years old, so bought a pair of new ones and just fitted them.
Control panels still dead, so started investigating and eventually found the main 30A fuse in the cable from the leisure batteries had blown.
Have new ones on order, but wondered why it had blown?
Everything was fine when it last used the Motorhome (2019 Bailey 68-2). Could trying to charge two dying batteries have pulled more than 30A? Seems unlikely. I will fit a new fuse when they arrive, but wary it could blow again. I’ll turn off all circuits and then turn each one on in turn.
Everything works fine if I switch to 240v.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I would test your old batteries after a full charge. They may be OK.
Main fuse between leisure batteries and what had blown?

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
To prevent using up more new costly fuses to diagnose fault. Find the biggest wattage 12v bulb you can find. With the fuse removed, wire the bulb across the two vacant fuse terminals. Now you can turn the power back on, if there is a short the bulb will illuminate brightly, otherwise it will just glow as you test al systems.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KNWH
Nov 22, 2018
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey 68-2
Exp
Since 2019
I would test your old batteries after a full charge. They may be OK.
Main fuse between leisure batteries and what had blown?
I took the old ones in re recycling when I collected the new ones, but I did try charging them when I first took them out. One didn’t take any charge and the other soon dropped off again after charging. The fuse is in the positive cable from the batteries, so the power wasn’t going anywhere! Thanks for the suggestion though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KNWH
Nov 22, 2018
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey 68-2
Exp
Since 2019
To prevent using up more new costly fuses to diagnose fault. Find the biggest wattage 12v bulb you can find. With the fuse removed, wire the bulb across the two vacant fuse terminals. Now you can turn the power back on, if there is a short the bulb will illuminate brightly, otherwise it will just glow as you test al systems.

Geoff
Interesting idea Geoff, thanks. I have got some new fuses arriving Thursday, but because we are supposed to be going away in the Motorhome in the next few days I was keen to try and find what the problem was ASAP.
I found that Halfords did a fuse that, although not quite the same design, could be modified to fit, so to speed things up I’ve just fitted that and it seems to be OK so far. At least it didn’t blow immediately. I’ve turned stuff on and again it seems OK but I’m still curious as to what the original fault was.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Did the original fuse blow cleanly or melt due to overheating? Remember that for some time the charger has probably been delivering maximum output continuously, trying to charge two faulty batteries. With the new batteries it will have a much easier time.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Interesting idea Geoff, thanks. I have got some new fuses arriving Thursday, but because we are supposed to be going away in the Motorhome in the next few days I was keen to try and find what the problem was ASAP.
I found that Halfords did a fuse that, although not quite the same design, could be modified to fit, so to speed things up I’ve just fitted that and it seems to be OK so far. At least it didn’t blow immediately. I’ve turned stuff on and again it seems OK but I’m still curious as to what the original fault was.
I have used the idea to test for short circuits for some 60 years. Always used to carry a pre-wired sealed beam unit (remember them?) in a box with foam cushion. If testing a high current circuit, I would join main & dip together.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KNWH
Nov 22, 2018
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey 68-2
Exp
Since 2019
Did the original fuse blow cleanly or melt due to overheating? Remember that for some time the charger has probably been delivering maximum output continuously, trying to charge two faulty batteries. With the new batteries it will have a much easier time.
Picture of fuse attached. Not sure if you can tell how it failed from looking?
Hopefully it was just the failing batteries pulling too much current as you suggest.

IMG_1635.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KNWH
Nov 22, 2018
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey 68-2
Exp
Since 2019
I am intrigued how you ‘modify’ a fuse

Genuine question not challenging you 👍
Picture of the correct fuse at top (they just arrived, a day early, yippee)
Middle is Halford fuse (it was a mixed pack, so that is actually the 40A one) and bottom is the blown one.
The two piece plastic surround provides some additional strength to the fuse (pins locate in the holes in the fuse) and also helps contain the molten metal if it fails)
I just had to file away non-critical parts of the Halford fuse so it didn’t foul the pins and I could fit the plastic surround to contain the bits if it blew.
I’ve just checked this morning and fuse still OK and batteries up to 13.4v so will fit the correct fuse and keep my fingers crossed

IMG_1634.jpeg

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Interesting fuse, is it screwed in place ?
It's a standard midi fuse avalible in 30 up to 150 amps a larger version is a mega fuse they go from 100 amps up to 500 amps.
Very common in vehicles and used quite a bit in Motorhomes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back