3 months away without a house sitter (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 31, 2022
Zürich, Switzerland
Funster No
MH
liner-for-two
Exp
Hi funsters! We're about to start travelling for a longer period of time, and we don't plan to have a house sitter. We'll have security cameras, inside and outside, and we would be able to ask someone to go and check/do something, if really needed.
We'll do the following:
  • shut off the water (except for the garden pipes)
  • shut off most of the electrical circuits
  • drain the dishwasher and the washing machine
  • insert the sink plugs (hope this is the right term) to avoid evaporation from the drain
  • set the forced ventilation to the lowest level
  • set the heating to 15 degrees (I'm thinking to not set it lower because the heating system is pretty slow, and when we get back I don't want to sleep in the MH, for two days :) )
Am I being crazy for not planning someone to do any maintenance on the house? What do funsters do when leaving for longer periods of time? Did I miss anything obvious?

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
We did basically exactly the same, we let the neighbours know and give them contact numbers for both us and the daughters, and we had someone drop in once a week to check over the place and open the mail etc.

Oh, and also had a gardener to mow the lawn every 2 weeks

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Hi funsters! We're about to start travelling for a longer period of time, and we don't plan to have a house sitter. We'll have security cameras, inside and outside, and we would be able to ask someone to go and check/do something, if really needed.
We'll do the following:
  • insert the sink plugs (hope this is the right term) to avoid evaporation from the drain
  • set the heating to 15 degrees (I'm thinking to not set it lower because the heating system is pretty slow, and when we get back I don't want to sleep in the MH, for two days :) )
Am I being crazy for not planning someone to do any maintenance on the house? What do funsters do when leaving for longer periods of time? Did I miss anything obvious?

I do some of the stuff above but not all. Personally i think you are overthinking it. Basically lock the door and go is my prep. I don't have an alarm, cameras or ring door bell. I think that would give me more stress. Not been a problem for 30 years so far.

Just make sure you are insured!

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our next door neighbours water the garden plants, so I couldn't turn the water off. The house just gets left, a few cobwebs hit your face when you return.. And the toilet water has usually gone off 🤢 but never had any problems

Upvote 0
OP
OP
optimus-prime
Aug 31, 2022
Zürich, Switzerland
Funster No
MH
liner-for-two
Exp
I agree with you. I'm not really worried about thieves, the cameras were already there... so would use them to keep an eye on the surroundings because quite often we get very stormy weather here. My only concern was about the water, because we never lived in a house before, and when we moved in someone told me I should drain the pipes.... which sounds a bit exaggerated... that's why I thought asking around here. We've been away for 3 months+ before when living in an apartment, and never had any issues. Nevertheless, here at the house the climate is quite dry during the winter and the water evaporates from the drains after just two weeks, and then it starts smelling not that pleasant :), hence the sink plugs (I hope they work).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We have some lights that come on at set time plus others that randomly turn on and off after dusk.

Check what your insurance says you have to do.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Just make sure you are insured!
Not sure if rules are the same there but my insurance required someone to visit house weekly to check ok and remove visible post.

We were away for 6 months at a time and just turned the water off over winter.
12°heating on constant which was also an insurance requirement.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We'll do the following:
If you keep your heating on why switch off the water? We keep our heating on at 15 degrees. Our insurer requires that other wise they will not pay our for any water leak damages. And if we didn't we would not only have to drain the domestic water but also the water used for the central heating. So freezing cold house on our return.

We do not switch the electrics off as they are needed for wifi, so the alarm and cameras can work and show us what is happening. And we have our lights coming on and off at different times in the evenings and early warning to make it look that the house is occupied. We can adjust the times using our Hive app via Amazon Alexa.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
What sort of heating have you got and what controls? If it's gas I'd personally set it for about 8 degrees with a short period of say 18 for half an hour twice a day to keep everything aired.

Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Make sure everything is insured and forget about it (y)
Sounds fine, but many insurers make stipulations for longer absences. We’re with NFU, who require a named person to visit the house weekly for absences over 60 days, and heating set to 15C between 1 Nov and March, unless the water is turned off.

At one time we were with Lloyds, who demanded that the burglar alarm was set and the electric turned off!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back