2021 Ducato Chassis Rust ….

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Hi All

So I have an issue I just found while going over my van before winter when I touch up any underseal etc.

I noted when installing and measuring for airbags a little while ago the chassis legs where the leaf spring had poor paint and a little surface rust and I have a few areas underneath are like that.

When I noted it I sprayed on some bilt hambler rust protection for later review.

On a three year old van …

The issue is I have two holes - I do not know if they were there when I noted the very light surface rust.

I am in two minds are they just poor missing welds that’s have not been seam sealed or rust holes there is no rust inside the chassis member I can see …. Thoughts ??

Daniel

IMG_7215.jpeg
IMG_7214.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
They look to be welding blow holes to me, untreated they will rust quickly as metal subjected to heat such as welding will rust much quicker…. Rust killer and a sealer should help and get as much inside those holes…

OP
OP
danielf
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Thanks Just smiffy.

It has me worried I must admit on a three year old van, if it is rust.

The other side has seam sealer all around it and this side does not.

When looking inside the box section I cannot see any rust, and when I scratch the area it goes back to clean metal.

I may be on for a visits to Fiat as this van has already had loads of paint issues and has a rust warranty.

In the meantime I have covered the area in bilt hambler s-50 corrosion protection.

Daniel

Last edited:
OP
OP
danielf
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
I thought that too.
Same - I don’t know if these holes have always been here or a new development - I don’t remember seeing them before when fitting towbar etc when new …. But you don’t look for rust in a new vehicle ….

I recently fitted rear airbags and had to cut the bump stops off as they were rusted in place and the captive nuts also broke off and only had three tiny dabs of weld on each one. Replaced with rivnuts to mount the airbags.

I wonder if anyone else’s looks the same ? That may indicate a manufacture fault.

Daniel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back