2010 Fiat Ducato. 'Secret' air vent in dash?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We've had our current van over two years and only just discovered a 'secret' air vent in the dash.
Opposite the passenger seat their is a shallow lift up "glovebox" on the dash..

IMG_20190728_130813.jpg

When this it open there is a sliding hatch about 3" x 1" which when slid across to the right reveals a mesh.

IMG_20190728_130411.jpg

IMG_20190728_130427.jpg

Am I right in assuming that it is simply an air vent??

Barry

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Is that not the secret cocaine smuggling compartment or is your design different to ours ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
It's the poor man's cool box that stays the temperature of the heating system, we rarely use it in fact I had forgotten about it :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
My MH is based on the Citroen Relay which allegedly is ""identical" to Fiat/Renault, so I'm told...
And yes I have a small glovebox on top of the dash....
And yes I knew it was a "coolbox"...
But it differs from the OP's inasmuch as there's no sliding cover;

20190728_191512-800x450.jpg

However, there is somesort of stop to the right, suggesting that a slider is/was/could be an option.

Deneb

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
My MH is based on the Citroen Relay which allegedly is ""identical" to Fiat/Renault, so I'm told...
And yes I have a small glovebox on top of the dash....
And yes I knew it was a "coolbox"...
But it differs from the OP's inasmuch as there's no sliding cover;

View attachment 320894

However, there is somesort of stop to the right, suggesting that a slider is/was/could be an option.

Various items are altered or deleted during production as part of the continuous improvement process AKA cost cutting. Current vans no longer have the vent at all I'm told, at least on the base specification.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I’m going to have to check mine. I have the storage compartment, but can’t recall ever seeing a vent (unless it’s a ‘current’ van as described above) ?

Deneb

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
I’m going to have to check mine. I have the storage compartment, but can’t recall ever seeing a vent (unless it’s a ‘current’ van as described above) ?

This coolbox subject was mentioned recently on an owner's forum, from where it became apparent that it wasn't present on any of the newest Euro 6 vans.

However, just because the grille may be present in the storage box, it doesn't necessarily follow that it is connected to the air distribution pipes behind the dashboard! The easy way to find out is to switch on the Aircon or heating and see if hot or cold air is blown through it :)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I have one in my Peugeot base Eldiss, euro 6 and it is connected to the fan blown air system, hot or cold

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper PVC
Exp
Since 2014
Vent present on my Euro6 also (y)

Deneb

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
How old are they? The vans without have all been manufactured within the last few months and also no longer have the dashboard tablet holder as standard, only as an extra cost option.

But I am personally aware of vans going back several years which have the grille in the storage box but which do not have the cooler function.

Wellington

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
My daughter discovered hers, keeps her chocolates solid in this heat. I thought she was just wittering, but it really dies keep things chilled while the air con is on.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper PVC
Exp
Since 2014
How old are they?

Mine's 2018 on a Peugeot base. I don't have the slidy-cover but I the vent is in place.

Mine also didn't come with the tablet holder, just the pop-up clip board, which I've since replaced with the tablet holder (y)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Bit of a thread bump here, but our 2019 has one of these without the slider. Is it ok to blank it off? On a few occasions it has cooked my phone, causing it to power down! Don’t see the benefit.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Bit of a thread bump here, but our 2019 has one of these without the slider. Is it ok to blank it off? On a few occasions it has cooked my phone, causing it to power down! Don’t see the benefit.
Yes because with the slider that is all it does, blanks it off from heating or cooling.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Expedition
Just recently picked up my new van based on a Ducato and same issue. Installer had brought the USB cable to the head unit in through that and on the way home, my neatly packed away phone cut out due to being fried. I guess I just blank that off somehow. Seems weird they have removed a sliding vent door.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Just recently picked up my new van based on a Ducato and same issue. Installer had brought the USB cable to the head unit in through that and on the way home, my neatly packed away phone cut out due to being fried. I guess I just blank that off somehow. Seems weird they have removed a sliding vent door.
I ended up taping it over.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
It is where I put my phone to keep it cool, it gets the benefit of the air con.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
We've had our current van over two years and only just discovered a 'secret' air vent in the dash.
Opposite the passenger seat their is a shallow lift up "glovebox" on the dash..

View attachment 320815

When this it open there is a sliding hatch about 3" x 1" which when slid across to the right reveals a mesh.

View attachment 320816

View attachment 320817

Am I right in assuming that it is simply an air vent??

Barry
Location and details in owners manual along with other useful info😉

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back