2009 transit base - prone to rust? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Chansons of that age may have a floating aluminium roof which can become pickled with small holes and admit moisture.
I thought it was a floating polyester resin roof ours certainly was on a 2014 and I think it was on our previous 2009 one although as I didn't cut any holes in that one I can't be certain!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Interesting mot history part in miles part in kilometres and some probably wrongly recorded. But it looks like the mot inspector making a mistake rather than anything dodgy.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Interesting mot history part in miles part in kilometres and some probably wrongly recorded. But it looks like the mot inspector making a mistake rather than anything dodgy.

Could be, but I notice it is left hand drive, might that indicate it was originally registered and used on the Continent ? Possibly asking where the first servicing was carried out would solve that ?

A left hander should be lower cost than the equivalent right hand drive if bought in the UK I would have thought.

I also notice that the blurb says it has a new cambelt. Not an expert on what engine will be in it, but I think the engine will have a timing chain rather than a belt, needs checking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
A left hander should be lower cost than the equivalent right hand drive if bought in the UK I would have thought.
You would have thought wrong then.Either no difference or a premium.Left hand drive cars have always been twice the price secondhand of a rhd Uk one.

OP , as Sandancers says you want to ask the seller why it has had a cam belt as the engine is chain driven_.
amazing ! 33 photos &not one of under the bonnet or underneath?

got all the kit on. cruise, electric heated adjustable mirrors, air con, electric windows, remote locking

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
You would have thought wrong then.Either no difference or a premium.Left hand drive cars have always been twice the price secondhand of a rhd Uk one.

OP , as Sandancers says you want to ask the seller why it has had a cam belt as the engine is chain driven_.
amazing ! 33 photos &not one of under the bonnet or underneath?

got all the kit on. cruise, electric heated adjustable mirrors, air con, electric windows, remote locking
I agree that LHD is no cheaper than RHD (The bit about twice the price makes no sense however). It is quite a hassle to import something and thus doing so with an older vehicle in particular is disproportionate.

I have trawled the pages of AutoTrader and Ebay motorhomes over many months before and since buying my Hobby T500 and have never seen an under bonnet or under chassis photo on any post. So nothing suspicious about that. And in any event you really need to hear the engine not see it

OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
Could you ask the seller for more or close up pictures of certain areas. Cills, chasis rails , suspension mounts etc.
Tell them if they look ok youll be travelling along way to look at it.
We did this and the seller sent loads of photos . We then drove 200 miles to view and buy it.
Take some overalls or shitty clothes so you can crawl under it .
All the best 👌
Have asked for pics - thank you 😊

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
is my 2007 mark 7 Transit as well as being undersealed from factory
That's unusual as I've had 3 transit vans a 2005, a 2009 , and a 2013 and they were all rotten . No underseal from new and weren't galvanised. They rusted for fun.

But they were former workvans.

I don't think the chassis cabs used in motorhomes are galvanised either but I'd expect them to have less rust than a works van.

But I'm still not sure I'd ever want another.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Not overly prone to rust more than other vans, but a common place for transits to rust is underneath behind the door steps. They get muddy and wet which promotes early rusting. If well maintained it should be good for many years

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yeah I think it's a nice little van - just a pity it's in WSM and I'm in Glasgow so its making it a challenge 🙄
To be honest every motorhome I've owned has always been at the other end of the country when I bought them. I've driven/used the train and even flew down to view them. If its the right van you're looking for then it's worth the distance to view it. It's sods law they're never where you are.

I was in Fife, my burstner was in Bristol, my frankia was in Evesham, my hymer was in the Midlands, euramobil was south Yorkshire. Mobilvetta in Guisborough, and the n&b I've agreed to buy is in Wales.. never found one in Scotland.

That van you're interested in looks good in the photos and the mot history looks OK on it. I'm surprised it hasn't sold already

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back