2009 transit base - prone to rust? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
We are considering buying a motorhome - it has everything else that we need but it's on a ford transit 2009 base and opinions seem to be they're prone to rust - any thoughts / experience of this? The van is in Weston super mare and we are in Glasgow so not easy to get a proper look ourselves and don't know anyone down there 😞 thanks 👍

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Ask for more photos of wheel arches check mot history for advisorys for corrosion by reg number on goverment site

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Also you have 5 free posts and then you need to subscribe but you wont regret it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
Have you looked at the MOT history ?
That is often very telling
Yes there's nothing specific about corrosion to chassis. There was a comment about brake pipes as follows:
  • Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material O/S & N/S - Axle pipes (1.1.11 (c))
  • Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Front to rear pipe - Mid (1.1.11 (c)
But I thought this meant that it was either rusted or coated and tester couldn't be sure? 🙄

OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
Ask for more photos of wheel arches check mot history for advisorys for corrosion by reg number on goverment site
Yes I checked MOT history and only mention of potential corrosion was this:
  • Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material O/S & N/S - Axle pipes (1.1.11 (c))
  • Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material Front to rear pipe - Mid (1.1.11 (c)

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Yes I checked MOT history and only mention of potential corrosion was this:
I havent read all the posts but did see another member on here say theres has no rust
And i did mean to say earlier every van is different even though they have a reputation of being rusty
I hope the van you like isnt a bodged van good luck and dont be afraid of asking the seller if its had any paint work done and is there any rust bubles showing
It doesnt mean they will tell the truth but its a start

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We had two transit based MH no real rust on either of them. I think you need to actually see it or pay someone else to. I don't think there's any make of that age where you could guarantee no rust

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
We had two transit based MH no real rust on either of them. I think you need to actually see it or pay someone else to. I don't think there's any make of that age where you could guarantee no rust
Partly true but renault masters are galvanised so unless they have had a scrape or repair will outlast most vans for rusting

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Partly true but renault masters are galvanised so unless they have had a scrape or repair will outlast most vans for rusting
So are a lot of the fiats but how would you know on a vehicle that old with several owners if it's ever had any accident repairs? I think I've seen several rusty Renault masters!

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
So are a lot of the fiats but how would you know on a vehicle that old with several owners if it's ever had any accident repairs? I think I've seen several rusty Renault masters!
Thats interesting i hadnt heard of another make of base van being galvanised or are you refering to the alko chasis that is bolted on by the motorhome manufacturer afterwards
I too have seen some renault masters rusty but it doesnt change the fact since about 2001 they have been galvanised

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thats interesting i hadnt heard of another make of base van being galvanised or are you refering to the alko chasis that is bolted on by the motorhome manufacturer afterwards
I too have seen some renault masters rusty but it doesnt change the fact since about 2001 they have been galvanised
I suppose there's galvanised and galvanised! It probably helps but unless it's properly assembled with no parts that tend to flex and expose ungalvanised metal it's just going to rot in less places. Someone else might know but I thought the sevel cabs were galvanised.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I suppose there's galvanised and galvanised! It probably helps but unless it's properly assembled with no parts that tend to flex and expose ungalvanised metal it's just going to rot in less places. Someone else might know but I thought the sevel cabs were galvanised.
When your better informed purhaps you can come back instead of picking holes in maybes

OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
Thanks - I've subscribed :giggle: and hoping there is someone local who might be able to help!

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
Could you ask the seller for more or close up pictures of certain areas. Cills, chasis rails , suspension mounts etc.
Tell them if they look ok youll be travelling along way to look at it.
We did this and the seller sent loads of photos . We then drove 200 miles to view and buy it.
Take some overalls or shitty clothes so you can crawl under it .
All the best 👌

OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
Could you ask the seller for more or close up pictures of certain areas. Cills, chasis rails , suspension mounts etc.
Tell them if they look ok youll be travelling along way to look at it.
We did this and the seller sent loads of photos . We then drove 200 miles to view and buy it.
Take some overalls or shitty clothes so you can crawl under it .
All the best 👌
Thanks - I guess I could ask them this but I dont really know what Im looking for either in pics or if I travel down there to see it / get it. Ive just put a post up to see if anybody offers this as a service - fingers crossed! Cheers

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Is is definitely a coach built motorhome and not a panel van.?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
When your better informed purhaps you can come back instead of picking holes in maybes
Looked it up all sevel cabs dip galvanised since 2007 I hope that keeps you happy!. The thing I would say is that rot in the habitation part of the motorhome can be just as bad a problem as a rusty cab section. I think on older motorhomes a proper inspection is important there have been a lot on here over the years who buy something that looks good on the surface only to find a big issue with rot. Also worth looking at the mileage history in the first few years a lot early on could indicate a previous hire van it wouldn't put me off but could affect the value.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Looked it up all sevel cabs dip galvanised since 2007 I hope that keeps you happy!. The thing I would say is that rot in the habitation part of the motorhome can be just as bad a problem as a rusty cab section. I think on older motorhomes a proper inspection is important there have been a lot on here over the years who buy something that looks good on the surface only to find a big issue with rot. Also worth looking at the mileage history in the first few years a lot early on could indicate a previous hire van it wouldn't put me off but could affect

I have been educated and pleasantly surprised there are other vans galvanised, Reading back my reply was quite grumpy
Appologies

OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
I have a 2009 transit based coachbuilt and no chassis or cab rust. There was mention on a past mot of a brake pipe covered in crud (technical term) replacing a brake pipe not a major matter
Only other faults have been a handbrake repair and a split turbo pipe.
Thank you that's comforting to hear 😊 I'm hoping to get someone to have a look for me before I travel / commit 🤞

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Chansons of that age may have a floating aluminium roof which can become pickled with small holes and admit moisture.

OP
OP
H
Jul 30, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't have it yet
Chansons of that age may have a floating aluminium roof which can become pickled with small holes and admit moisture.
Thanks for the heads up - if I find someone to check it over I'll add that to the list 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back