2008 Peugeot Boxer leaking fluid (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Bravia
Hi all,

My 2008 peugeot boxer 2.2l is leaking fluid from the engine, I think it is probably gearbox fluid as it is not black like the engine oil is. The van was parked up for over a week in the same place and when I moved it there was a fairly large stain on the ground. I parked it soemwhere else last night, here's a picture of the underside of the engine, you can see where the drip is coming from, it looks to be dripping from the bolt there, but as you can see there is a large stain all around it.

Any past experience or advice would be much appreciated!
gearbox 1.jpg
leak.jpg

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Could be
Engine oil via the rear crank seal. Very black oil, slight drop in engine oil level
Gearbox oil via input oil seal. More smelly oil, cleaner, drop in gearbox oil, possibly unkown. No dipstick
Clutch fluid leaking from slave cylinder. Very clear fluid, not much smell, drop in clutch, possibly brake fluid level.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Give the whole area a really good degrease, the you will have a better idea of the source of the leak. If it is transmission oil, then don't drive it far before topping up with oil.

Geoff

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Looking at it again. Is the oil not coming from much higher up the front of the engine, and dropping down, and being blown backward whilst driving..

Even the exhaust down pipe looks like it’s covered.

OP
OP
dayman1
Aug 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Bravia
Hi all,

just had it diagnosed as two leaks, one at the driveshaft seal leaking gearbox oil, and one at the crankshaft seal leaking engine oil.

Does anybody have experience with these issues? The quote for repair has been quite high from the garage I've gone to, particularly for the crankshaft seal, they have said the driveshaft needs to be removed to replace this and it will be 8 hours of labour but from my albeit fairly limited knowledge I thought it was a simpler job than that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7010
Exp
Since 1974
To do both jobs I'd suggest the quote is about right, the gearbox has to be removed to do the crankshaft seal so the drive shafts will be removed anyway.
Probably worth having a new clutch fitted at same time.
Getting the gearbox out of that era of van is quite time consuming.

OP
OP
dayman1
Aug 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Bravia
To do both jobs I'd suggest the quote is about right, the gearbox has to be removed to do the crankshaft seal so the drive shafts will be removed anyway.
Probably worth having a new clutch fitted at same time.
Getting the gearbox out of that era of van is quite time consuming.
Thanks for your reply, that was how he explained it to me but I thought it was possible to just remove the pulley and change the crankshaft seal that way, but maybe that's just on the newer Boxers.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The crankshaft seal that is leaking, and you need replacing is behind the flywheel. So gearbox needs to be removed and then a new seal fitted. Whilst in there makes sense to fit new clutch. As Gbox is coming out drive shafts will also be removed, so makes that part of the job cheaper, but that is a small job compared to the crank seal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back