2007 Arto over cab bed gas struts (1 Viewer)

Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Does anyone have a generic part number for the cab bed gas struts?

Ours are pretty lazy, I can get a pair from Travelworld for £438.00 but I bet they are only £50 each from a strut supplier but to do that, you need a bit of detail that I don't have such as the force of the strut.

Any clues?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The strut should have some identification marks/numbers to identify them, then contact somebody like SGS engineering they might even re-gas yours. https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts
SGS custom make gas struts and aren't expensive. Just get the numbers off yours and call them. New struts for the boot on my Saab - about £60 pair.
There are YouTube videos of renewing drop down bed struts (y)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Does anyone have a generic part number for the cab bed gas struts?

Ours are pretty lazy, I can get a pair from Travelworld for £438.00 but I bet they are only £50 each from a strut supplier but to do that, you need a bit of detail that I don't have such as the force of the strut.

Any clues?
Just stick the number on the side into google. The one with Nm after it is the strength

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks to all who replied, I was being a bit lazy and hoping that someone would have the number of the strut to save me from stripping out the strut before buying the new ones.

So I have just pulled one strut out and they are Stabilus Lift-O-Mat 2046LV 1900 newton struts.

Not easy finding Stabilus struts however I have ordered pattern replacements as follows.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Thanks to all who replied, I was being a bit lazy and hoping that someone would have the number of the strut to save me from stripping out the strut before buying the new ones.

So I have just pulled one strut out and they are Stabilus Lift-O-Mat 2046LV 1900 newton struts.

Not easy finding Stabilus struts however I have ordered pattern replacements as follows.

How much?

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
OK to finalise this thread, the gas struts were promptly delivered and the threaded fittings from one end of the old struts were transferred over.

Fitting is easy once you know the trick !! The bed has to be raised right up into the roof space, ie higher than it's normal upper resting place. Best to take the mattress off and not leave the ladder resting on the bed either, this makes the bed lighter and also allows it to go as high as possible.

Once the bed is in this elevated position then the gas strut will just slide onto the pins, in the natural upper position (bed hanging on the restraints) there is no way that the strut will fit, there is no way that you can compress these struts as they are 1900N (193Kg) force.

I think most over cab beds will be the same and have similar high force gas struts.

The difference once fitted is amazing the bed just goes up and down with finger pressure.

20230809_163921[1].jpg

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Thanks for the replies, still doubtful about trying to do it myself.
If I come back on asking where to get a replacement windscreen then you'll know I tried and failed:envy:

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the replies, still doubtful about trying to do it myself.
If I come back on asking where to get a replacement windscreen then you'll know I tried and failed:envy:
There is practically no risk to the windscreen, just make sure that you support the bed well in the raised position as that is where it needs to be to get one end of the strut onto the pin.

Don't just rely on the straps as they will not get the bed high enough, use a pit prop. You need to push it right into the roof space which is certainly 10 inches more if the mattress is removed.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Thanks again Mzracer, I've had another look at the bed and it's impossible to get to the struts with the bed raised . It's on an old Hymer .
If I can't get a competent dealer to do it then it'll have to wait until I can figure a way to keep the struts safely compressed whilst being fitted.
I'll have another chat with SGS Eng for ideas as they must regularly come across similar problems.

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
OK I should explain better, take the struts off in the lower position, hook one end of the new strut on in the lower position, then raise the bed right up, then you get your hand up through the side of the mechanism and you will just be able to get the strut on the second pin. now lower back down again and replace your retainers, mine was split pins.

I did not think it was going to work until someone told to go past the normal raise position, also only do one strut at a time.

What sort of Hymer (year)

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Thanks again, I think that I understand better now, I'll have another look.
It's a 2001 Hymer S650.
Hymer made a limited number of them to celebrate the turn of the century, made from 2000 and discontinued the model in 2006.
It's a lovely van and incredibly well made , weighs about 4500 kilos and just 6.5 meters long on a Merc sprinter chassis with twin rear wheels.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
That sounds like a plan. I’ve got a 2004 Burstner with the same bed and I’ve had the struts in the wardrobe for 3 years not daring to do anything!! Can you let me know how you get on…?

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Will do if I retain all of my fingers to type with . :unsure:

OP
OP
M
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks again, I think that I understand better now, I'll have another look.
It's a 2001 Hymer S650.
Hymer made a limited number of them to celebrate the turn of the century, made from 2000 and discontinued the model in 2006.
It's a lovely van and incredibly well made , weighs about 4500 kilos and just 6.5 meters long on a Merc sprinter chassis with twin rear wheels.
I know the Hymer you mean, I quite liked the look of those some years ago, it looked well built.

I got onto the B class stuff and now N&B Arto which is pretty similar to Hymer (same group) very good build quality like the good Hymers.

Careful of your fingers in those beds, use a pit prop.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Thanks, I will hopefully have a prop called Dave to help.
This is the 5th Hymer I've had , all the others were B class and I've not owned any other brands.
I was looking for one of these for about 2 years before this one came up. It still looks modern even though it's 22 years old and people can't believe the age of it.
I've had it 10 years now and crazy as it is , it's worth more now than when I bought it.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Hi,

Finally got round to replacing the gas struts on my 2004 Burstner i681 Elegance.

In the end it took less than an hour to do both, much easier than anticipated.

Here’s a brief summary of how we did it. I said we as it ended up being a three man job for the final step. Obviously one of the men supporting the bed could have been replaced by a prop of some sort!

In the lowered position after taking off the retaining nut from the end of the strut furthest from the windscreen we levered the strut off the bolt. The retaining nut on the strut end nearest the screen had no clearance to the ‘plate’ which secured the whole mechanism to the side wall. So in the end we loosened the nuts on the arms which gave us the necessary clearance to get the nut off and then secure the new strut in place. In order to line up the new strut with the bolt furthest from the screen we needed one person holding the bed as high as it would go at the retaining strap end, another person lifting the bed from around the middle of the bed and another person slipping the gas strut onto the bolt.

I have to say this went much smoother than I ever imagined. The difference in the motion of the bed up and down is phenomenal no more worries of a bad back!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back