2002 Peugeot Boxer single passenger seat swap (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 1, 2024
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Hi all, I have recently purchased a 4 birth Boxer (Elddis body) and have swiftly realised there are only the driver and passenger seats that have seatbelts fitted. After much frantic internet searches I could only realistically come up with the solution of swapping the single passenger seat for a bench style seat as there will only be 3 of us travelling at any time.
I located a bench seat from eBay but unfortunately it was from a later model and does not fit the original floor mountings. But even sitting the bench seat in place the back of the seat nearest the door was up against part of the wooden panelling that is behind the door pillar seat belt..

I am at a bit of a loss what to do , we bought the van to get away after going through a tough few years but at present we can't really use it safely or at all.
The rear set up is a 'U' shaped lounge and the only forward facing seat is not really suitable to retrofit a 3 point seat belt.

Im hoping someone may have had a similar issue and have a solution..?

Thanks for reading, if you got this far..!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi there and welcome 🤗

A lot of motorhomes only have 2 belted seats unfortunately.
Fitting additional belts as you have found is not very easy or even practical in many cases.
Regrettably that does not help you’re situation.

Our van has 5 belted seats one of which has a frame bolted through the floor and a removable upper frame. A solution maybe to have a frame manufactured that incorporates part of the rear seating.
I am not sure of the legalities ( not forgetting the safety aspects ) of carrying a 3rd passenger unbelted.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
What year is the van? You would be better off going to the breakers yard and buying a seat complete with the base from a van of the same model type ie a 230 a 244 a 250 that's assuming it's a fiat ,if it is citroen or Peugeot it will be the same , I'm not sure but I think the third seat belt is attached to the 2 seat base

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 1, 2024
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Thanks for the replies… it’s a Peugeot Boxer 2002, the seat I purchased was from a much later model and doesn’t fit the same bolt mounts holes.
I’m having trouble finding and locating a double passenger seat from that era to see if that’s a viable option.
The lounge area does not really lend itself to be adapted easily for a seat belt to be fitted so I was hoping to fit the double front passenger seat as these incorporate the seat belts etc and are factory built. I realise it compromises the access which I would live with knowing everyone is safely belted up..
I was wondering if anyone else had had the same issue.

Looks like there is plenty of tips and advice on this site so hopefully I will learn quite a bit!

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would confirm the gross weight.
It may be a four berth but does it have the payload to cover all passengers and their belongings.
3500kg vans can struggle to carry more than two.
Four berth doesn't mean it's suitable for four.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Aug 1, 2024
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
I would confirm the gross weight.
It may be a four berth but does it have the payload to cover all passengers and their belongings.
3500kg vans can struggle to carry more than two.
Four berth doesn't mean it's suitable for four.
This is something i am now realising I have learnt the hard way..! And its a 2800kg van , albeit short wheelbase compared to most.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back