2-Berth Van Conversion (2021 - 24) recommendations (please) (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Hi, we had a couple of motorhomes (swift) many years ago and now we are both retired are looking for a new van. We want a van conversion with a budget of around £70k (could go a bit higher if need be). We have looked at an Autotrail V Line 610/635 sport and liked them but looking on here it seems that Autotrail are not particularly recommended. The Bailey B62 comes out well but after looking at one it didn't inspire us. We live on the S. Coast (New Forest) but are willing to travel to find the right van.
Ideally a U-Shaped back but this is not a deal breaker and we would both prefer an automatic. The most important thing is mechanical reliabilty with a decent habitation build quality.

Thank you for any recommendations

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I would suggest Malibu Van or Globecar for build quality. We chose the Malibu Van because we previously had a Carthago and had been very happy with the build quality of that. Not your preferred layout of U shaped rear lounge but you will get proper comfortable beds instead.

Upvote 0
Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
Have a look at the Wildax Europa.

'Traditional' u-shaped lounge converts easily into a huge double, or works as singles.
Might need some adjustment to the 'garage' space, depending on what you want to carry.

We're on a sturdy Renault Master but more recently been built on Citroën & Fiat.

Decent dealer network & quite a few used ones currently up for sale.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have just sold our IH630RD Automatic , we’d had the identical IH630RD but manual before that. Very nice vans. We’re collecting a brand new Consort Oslo on Thursday. 2nd hand they are as rare as rocking horse poo .

Worth keeping a look out for an IH 2nd hand, prices have definitely dropped this last few months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
OP
OP
C
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
carolyn thank you. We looked at IH and agree that a good 2nd hand one would be an option.

The Wildax Europa looks particularly good and there is a dealer around 1 hour 20 from us.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Is it the case that Autotrail V Line sport are a poor quality build?

thank you

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We have a Globecar summit prime 6.4m. Automatic, two fixed beds. Compressor fridge. We like it a lot. Had it from new, 2021. Have had lithium batteries installed for more off grid. Had one or two minor problems, a bit of an issue with the tambour shower door, which although dealt with under warranty was probably more to with the van being closed up for several months in hot weather (I had an op so we didn’t go away), water pump replaced because it stopped, although stuck rather than broken. The over a sky roof was noisy, a known problem and we had the retro fit done, under warranty, and now much better. What I don’t like is the bathroom tap over the washbasin, it takes up too much space over the washbasin.
Possle, who make Globecar, are slow to respond to dealers in the uk, and specific parts can take a while to arrive. And I know it is Possle, because I’ve seen the emails.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
hja GeoffnDee DJIT thank you

The malibu looks great although the layout doesn't work for us. We had two Swift Escapes many years ago. One was a bit of a nightmare so didn't look at them but will now.

The Vantage Max looks promising. Globecar looks a good spec. Didn't see a van conversion for Carthago.

thanks again

I really liked the layout (apart from a couple of bits) in the Autotrail 6335 sport. Shame about the build

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The most important thing is mechanical reliabilty with a decent habitation build quality.
There is less choice about the base vehicles but the habitation build quality varies enormously. Make sure the van has been properly insulated without gaps and cold bridges, not easy to see but check out what materials and construction techniques the converter uses. Checking the furniture construction is easier, the best joints will be mortised and screwed without gaps and giving a very solid feel. Robust metal hinges will last longer than lightweight ones. Proper ventilation and springing below mattresses makes for better sleeping.

I am probably biased, having made my choice. We all defend our big decisions. This video helped me choose.

Upvote 0
Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
There is less choice about the base vehicles but the habitation build quality varies enormously. Make sure the van has been properly insulated without gaps and cold bridges, not easy to see but check out what materials and construction techniques the converter uses. Checking the furniture construction is easier, the best joints will be mortised and screwed without gaps and giving a very solid feel. Robust metal hinges will last longer than lightweight ones. Proper ventilation and springing below mattresses makes for better sleeping.

I am probably biased, having made my choice. We all defend our big decisions. This video helped me choose.

But layout is key...
Do Malibu produce a model with a U-shaped lounge, as requested?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
But layout is key...
It is unlikely to get a German conversion with a U-shaped lounge. That layout is a very British thing that has lingered from the days of a typical British caravan layout. But I wait to be corrected 😉

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
But layout is key...
The op said a U shaped lounge was not a deal breaker but build quality was a high priority. One of the joys of a van conversion is sitting next to that big sliding door so for me having proper beds and a quality finish come first. No Malibu Vans don’t have U shaped lounges but they are well made.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Have a look at the Wildax Europa.

'Traditional' u-shaped lounge converts easily into a huge double, or works as singles.
Might need some adjustment to the 'garage' space, depending on what you want to carry.

We're on a sturdy Renault Master but more recently been built on Citroën & Fiat.

Decent dealer network & quite a few used ones currently up for sale.
We have a Wild Europa. Good van

Upvote 0

SRC

Aug 17, 2018
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Exp
Since 2005
We have had various motorhomes over many years, Roller Team, Bessacarr, Eldis, Autotrail and Bailey. We have now had a Vantage Neo for over a year. By far the best motorhome we have had, particularly with regards to quality. The layout suits us, the quality is excellent and it's a joy to drive. And no, I don't work them!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Thank you (now subscribed so can post).

We are going to look at a WildAx Europa on Monday at Wiltshire Caravans.

Its a bit out of our price range as there seems to be so many options that you can add on and we have to be careful it does not become a 'sweet shop'.

The options I have marked down, assuming we like the van, are Bike Rack (£700), Lithium Battery (£1400), 142W Flexi Solar Panel (£600).

They also have:

• Upgrade from Combi 4E (lpg and electric) to Combi 4D (diesel and electric) – £895 (available on certain models only)
  • Webasto Diesel Heater (Proteus) £995
It already has
  • Truma Combi D4 Diesel/Elec Heating/Hot Water with iNetx Controller
So I guess that can stay 'as is' unless there is a good reason to upgrade?

Is there anything that I should ask the sales guy or anything I can look out for?

He has already said the factory set the price but he can do things on the options (sure he can move on price)?

Would like the automatic but thats another £3k which is too much

thank you

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Don’t tick all the options and get a booking with off grid solutions. Now you’re a subscriber you get 10% discount.. Going there you will get properly installed lithium and solar panels that will last and they can, I believe, do their things like diesel heater etc.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
Don’t tick all the options and get a booking with off grid solutions. Now you’re a subscriber you get 10% discount.. Going there you will get properly installed lithium and solar panels that will last and they can, I believe, do their things like diesel heater etc.
Agreed. You will get far more solar and lithium for your money if you do not get Wildax or the Dealer to fit your solar and or lithium. Wildax vans are pre wired for solar anyway, so less of a job when/if you get Offgrid to do it for you.

Upvote 0

SRC

Aug 17, 2018
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Exp
Since 2005
I would have liked an automatic on our Neo, but non available at the time we bought it on the Fiat vehicles due in to Vantage. One thing our van did have, and something I would never be without now, is the electronic parking brake. So much better than having to reach down and use a mechanical hand brake handle. Makes hill starts a doddle as well as the brake releases automatically when you set off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Thank you

Does the wiring need to be different for a lithium battery?
I dropped a message to Offgrid. There is a 3-year hab warranty on the WildAx so would that be affected by the work from OffGrid?

thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
bubble63 looked online at Globecar but could not find a comparable layout to the u-shape. Maybe I missed something - thank you

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
You are missing something, do you really need a u shaped lounge more than storage
The Globecar dinner has a useable lounge at the front , granted not perfect but it’s good enough
As a side note we use an I pad as a telly so you don’t need to consider that and we use the bed more as it’s fixed ( no more making up beds was another biggie )

Reactions: hja
Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think with a good Ushaped lounge you get a pretty decent boot. We’ve never had any trouble with storage and we’re about to pick up our 3rd tomorrow, our Consort Oslo. We saw it this afternoon briefly when we dropped our gear off and it looks bloody lovely. Can’t imagine we’ll sleep much tonight. Met Dan who will do the handover and Ryan both of whom seemed so nice. Dan has been with Scot for 17 years, since Vantage days.

We go away for months at a time. The more storage you have the more stuff you take. Admittedly we don’t have a large toolkit as we wouldn’t know what to do with it!

The U shaped lounge is so great for lounging in when the weather isn’t so good. It’s like sitting in a conservatory when it’s chilly outside but sunny.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
The space under a fixed rear bed conversion is very impressive. Originally we were going rear U lounge until we looked under the bench seats and at the back and realised how little storage you got. Plus your bedding stays on the bed, rather than having to be packed away which also takes up most of storage under the bench seat. I’d go to the NEC have a good old poke around which is what changed our view👍

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back