68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
By centre exit, do you mean underneath the van in the middle, or that it comes out of the back of the van but in the middle.
I still find it hard to believe any manufacturer would exit half way down and in the middle of the van. Unless it is a new van it may be someone did not fit a full or correct system. Due to the Alko chassis a standard Peugeot Boxer van system would not fit hence getting a custom stainless system made up.
Of course I have been wrong many times in life.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
By centre exit, do you mean underneath the van in the middle, or that it comes out of the back of the van but in the middle.
I still find it hard to believe any manufacturer would exit half way down and in the middle of the van. Unless it is a new van it may be someone did not fit a full or correct system. Due to the Alko chassis a standard Peugeot Boxer van system would not fit hence getting a custom stainless system made up.
Of course I have been wrong many times in life.
I have just double checked my PSV MOT testers manual circa 1999 and on page 46 it reinforces my belief that when I operated Coaches, ALL exhausts HAD to exit on either the rear or the offside of the vehicle.
If they do not, it is a MOT failure!

I would suggest that, although it's an old manual and only applies to Passenger Service Vehicles, the same would be true of Motorhomes?
(With most Motorhomes being manufactured abroad, perhaps the offside reference maybe questioned but I'm sure the exit outside the line of the body still exists.)

IMO, it would make sense? 🤔

Reactions: 68c
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I have just double checked my PSV MOT testers manual circa 1999 and on page 46 it reinforces my belief that when I operated Coaches, ALL exhausts HAD to exit on either the rear or the offside of the vehicle.
If they do not, it is a MOT failure!

I would suggest that, although it's an old manual and only applies to Passenger Service Vehicles, the same would be true of Motorhomes?
(With most Motorhomes being manufactured abroad, perhaps the offside reference maybe questioned but I'm sure the exit outside the line of the body still exists.)

IMO, it would make sense? 🤔
Correct for psv but not to my knowledge class 4,or class 7 or lgv /hgv,as with many things on psv somewhat ott. ( How long would vehicle have to be stationary with engine running in perfect wind conditions before exhaust gas became noticeable let alone dangerous)I seem to remember in the early 70s Merc were the first I saw and apparently still do it ..outlet I believe was toward road surface ctr saved lhd & rhd having different systems

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Correct for psv but not to my knowledge class 4,or class 7 or lgv /hgv,as with many things on psv somewhat ott. ( How long would vehicle have to be stationary with engine running in perfect wind conditions before exhaust gas became noticeable let alone dangerous)I seem to remember in the early 70s Merc were the first I saw and apparently still do it ..outlet I believe was toward road surface ctr saved lhd & rhd having different systems
Hopefully, with Cats and DPF's, NO Buses or Coaches will have 'noticeable' exhaust gases?
I know mine didn't and they often were standing for long periods in London traffic.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that the ruling I mentioned, has been in force for a number of decades.

You say that PSV vehicles are OTT but, can you name ANY vehicle designed in the last 25 years that does NOT have it's exhaust ending either at the rear or side or up in the air (trucks), I can't! 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Reactions: 68c
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
My hymer use to have a exhaust that did not exit to the side but pointed down to the ground. I used to get some black carbon sometimes in the van nothing serious just a bit of black near vents. When the time came to replace I had a stainless steel one made which now exits to the side no problems since

OP
OP
sharpcroft
May 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just-looking
Todays experiment will be reintroducing the sealed cell link in the solar controller which drops the absorption voltage from 14.6 to 14.1 and does away with equalising voltage, fingers crossed the batteries aren't cooked with a capital F :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back