1999 B640 (Merc) exhaust (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just-looking
Mornin, the exhaust on my 5 pot 2.9 diesel exits slap bang in the middle of the hab area along the centre line, approx directly under the lounge area, is this normal or has the exhaust been shortened. I have a thermostat issue at the moment meaning the cat stinks as it never really gets to full temperature and while driving the interior of the MH stinks of eggs. Now I know I need to fix the underlying issue (the thermostat isade of unobtanium and is stupidly expensive) bit surely the exhaust should exit out of the side of the MH or the extreme rear?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Mornin, the exhaust on my 5 pot 2.9 diesel exits slap bang in the middle of the hab area along the centre line, approx directly under the lounge area, is this normal or has the exhaust been shortened. I have a thermostat issue at the moment meaning the cat stinks as it never really gets to full temperature and while driving the interior of the MH stinks of eggs. Now I know I need to fix the underlying issue (the thermostat isade of unobtanium and is stupidly expensive) bit surely the exhaust should exit out of the side of the MH or the extreme rear?

Exit side or rear is my understanding also! 🤔

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Or possibly a overheated battery from overcharging will cause that smell?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sharpcroft
May 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just-looking
I agree on the battery part, only happens during driving though and not on EHU when the batteries are charging, hab batteries are 6m old 80ah lead acid and the starter battery is a brand new (unsure of the ah) lead acid, any pointers as to what could cause an overcharge situation? MH has an EBL104-3

OP
OP
sharpcroft
May 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just-looking
That sounds like i may need n EBL repair? either that or i fit a battery isolator for the hab batteries when driving, assuming its those that are gassing

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
No not what I meant if you have a duff cell it will gas a lot less maybe not at all on mains low current mains charger but gas heavily on high current alternator charging it is supposed to get high current from engine charging

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
How can a CAT produce an eggy smell??
That's usually the grey waste tank or a dying (dangerous) battery.

OP
OP
sharpcroft
May 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just-looking
Because an under temperature cat or one that is receiving too much unburnt fuel with produce Sulphur dioxide gas which is the classic rotten egg smell, have you never driven behind a car and smelt it? Normally because the car has just experienced a cold start and the cat isnt up to temp yet

OP
OP
sharpcroft
May 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just-looking
No not what I meant if you have a duff cell it will gas a lot less maybe not at all on mains low current mains charger but gas heavily on high current alternator charging it is supposed to get high current from engine charging
I will need to check the cells later, the van is new to me but the previous owner told me that the hab batteries where 6 months old and the cab battery was brand new, ill stick it on tick over later and see if i can chase it down, if it is one of the hab batteries i will disconnect it for now and just run the one

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I will need to check the cells later, the van is new to me but the previous owner told me that the hab batteries where 6 months old and the cab battery was brand new, ill stick it on tick over later and see if i can chase it down, if it is one of the hab batteries i will disconnect it for now and just run the one
Being old and non techi, how are you going to test the cells, is there some app for that these days?
In the old day, one could just put one's multimeter across the individual cell terminals but now most hab batteries appear to completely sealed with just a + & - terminals how can individual cells be checked? 🤔

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Even a healthy batter will gas during heavy charging IE if it is "flat" so ideally should be vented to the outside (many have a breather at one end onto which a breather tube should be attached

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Being old and non techi, how are you going to test the cells, is there some app for that these days?
In the old day, one could just put one's multimeter across the individual cell terminals but now most hab batteries appear to completely sealed with just a + & - terminals how can individual cells be checked?
Easiest way fully charged leave over night and do a drop test (free at any tyre/battery outlet )

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Easiest way fully charged leave over night and do a drop test (free at any tyre/battery outlet )
I have a drop tester, where one connects up both terminals with 2prongs, but that doesn't tell me which cells are dodgy, just if the battery is.
Perhaps though, that is sufficient to return it if it's only 6 months old?

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I have a drop tester, where one connects up both terminals with 2prongs, but that doesn't tell me which cells are dodgy, just if the battery is.
Perhaps though, that is sufficient to return it if it's only 6 months old?
Yes that's right ,unless you want to start opening the battery case up to either see a gassing cell or expose the bus bars ! Most don't even have removable covers or caps to look through...progress or ?

OP
OP
sharpcroft
May 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just-looking
Fingers crossed i've sussed it. Just been to Marlene (her name) and checked the voltage at the leisure batteries with the engine running, near on 15v! took the fuse out of the solar and it dropped to 13.4v, turned on a few lights and things and both batteries have stabilised at 12.9-13v with the engine running. My solar runs through the EBL 104-3 but as i understand it its pretty much just a pass through so whatever the solar controller decides to put out will end up at the batteries, looks like im in the market for a new solar controller (the one i have is an old old sunsaver 6 with absolutely no settings except a jumper for sealed/flooded, come to think of it, its on flooded but the batteries are sealed type, hmmm!), anyway, solar fuse removed for now and will stay that way until ive driven a few miles to see if it cures the smell, cheers all for you input :)

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Fingers crossed i've sussed it. Just been to Marlene (her name) and checked the voltage at the leisure batteries with the engine running, near on 15v! took the fuse out of the solar and it dropped to 13.4v, turned on a few lights and things and both batteries have stabilised at 12.9-13v with the engine running. My solar runs through the EBL 104-3 but as i understand it its pretty much just a pass through so whatever the solar controller decides to put out will end up at the batteries, looks like im in the market for a new solar controller (the one i have is an old old sunsaver 6 with absolutely no settings except a jumper for sealed/flooded, come to think of it, its on flooded but the batteries are sealed type, hmmm!), anyway, solar fuse removed for now and will stay that way until ive driven a few miles to see if it cures the smell, cheers all for you input :)
I've got a one year old Renogy b2B with built in mppt controller it also keeps engine battery topped up in winter(or anytime van not in use) it's 30amp just swopped for same but 50a due to adding more panels..lead sealed gel and lipo compatible ...if it's of any interest

OP
OP
sharpcroft
May 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just-looking
A bit more info, the temperature sensor on the sunsaver 6 broke off ages ago, couple that with being set to flooded and not sealed and the manual states "For example,15at 0°C the controller will regulate at about 15.1 volts (for12 volt flooded batteries)." No wonder the sealed batteries where gassing with a combination of this and alternator charging (it was sunny as hell driving home yesterday)

OP
OP
sharpcroft
May 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just-looking
Unfortunately the EBL 104-3 is only rated for a maximum of 10a for the solar input, i suppose i could bypass that and just wire direst to the leisure batteries though? Hymer display panel would be inaccurate as it wouldnt detect the solar charge but a smart shunt is my next instal anyways. Have you got a link to the controller you have please?

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Unfortunately the EBL 104-3 is only rated for a maximum of 10a for the solar input, i suppose i could bypass that and just wire direst to the leisure batteries though? Hymer display panel would be inaccurate as it wouldnt detect the solar charge but a smart shunt is my next instal anyways. Have you got a link to the controller you have please?
Not off hand but a Google Renogy DC DC charger with mppt will bring it up Bluetooth or LCD displays available comes with temp probe

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
As regards taking it back very likely to be told it's been misstreated...discharged to low or to quickly left in a discharged state .
Very likely, but if he has, or can get, the receipt...if you don't try, you don't get + it's the easiest way of getting it established IF it is dud? 🤔

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I would look again at the exhaust system rather than the battery.
Are you saying the exhaust outlet is underneath the van at the centre?
If so that seems very dangerous as fumes may enter the cab and hab areas. Visit an exhaust shop and get their opinion, most will be able to fabricate a side exit pipe.
The other source of smell is the sink/shower drain. Make sure the plugs are fitted when travelling.

OP
OP
sharpcroft
May 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just-looking
I would look again at the exhaust system rather than the battery.
Are you saying the exhaust outlet is underneath the van at the centre?
If so that seems very dangerous as fumes may enter the cab and hab areas. Visit an exhaust shop and get their opinion, most will be able to fabricate a side exit pipe.
The other source of smell is the sink/shower drain. Make sure the plugs are fitted when travelling.
Thats exactly what im saying, exhaust exit is on the centre line of the MH and about halfway between the cab and the kitchen which is at the rear

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Thats exactly what im saying, exhaust exit is on the centre line of the MH and about halfway between the cab and the kitchen which is at the rear
As said done on many vehicles..perhaps not ideal on a MH but to set your mind at rest shut all doors and windows and preferably on a still day leave on tick over...do you smell exhaust ? In any event exhaust does no smell of eggs

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry Oldsontour, really do disagree with you. Centre exhaust 'may' be OK with a flat bed truck or a delivery vsn but definitely not on a motorhome. Too many gas drop out holes etc to let those truly deadly fumes in. Our exhaust broke in the middle, the stink of fumes was unbearable opening the windows made it worse. Managed to bodge the pipe together with a bean can and jubilee clips from a garage to get home but still not nice.
Had a complete system made up in Stainless steel from a company near me in Southampton.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Sorry Oldsontour, really do disagree with you. Centre exhaust 'may' be OK with a flat bed truck or a delivery vsn but definitely not on a motorhome. Too many gas drop out holes etc to let those truly deadly fumes in. Our exhaust broke in the middle, the stink of fumes was unbearable opening the windows made it worse. Managed to bodge the pipe together with a bean can and jubilee clips from a garage to get home but still not nice.
Had a complete system made up in Stainless steel from a company near me in Southampton.
As said not ideal on MH but if it's been like that from new and presumably many many more like it and no smell of EXHAUST in hab area ,but a smell and apparently evidence of gassing batteries 40 years in the light and heavy motor trade would lead me to conclude.. battery problem but to advise close all windows and doors let it tick over on a calm day thereby giving exhaust gas best opportunity to enter body and check..not for the smell of eggs but for the presence of exhaust gasses

Reactions: 68c
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My Le Voyageur has a more or less central exhaust exit (Merc 3l V6). No exhaust fumes inside under any conditions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back