1996 Hymer B694 tag axle front coil spring upgrade? (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

mrT

Jul 15, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694
Hi,i've decided to change out our front suspension springs and shocks for something more heavy duty anyone done this ? Hymer B694 tag axle (fiat ducato 2.5td based)
(obviously the base van derivatives are no good as too weak.)
coastal motorhomes want to sell me the standard van derived coil springs....not what i'm after. has anyone with the same year/model van fitted Kilen 12152 springs? (or similar upgraded springs) these are more heavy duty 21mm thick and slightly longer,as oposed to the standard 18mm springs which are totally inadequate. i've heard of someone fitting these to a Hymer before,but can't remember what model.(even though online sites says they dont fit their vehicle)....just want to see if they will fit mine. (Kilen wont speak to me as i'm not a Dealer!) :(
thanks in advance.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm not familiar with the the Ducato but Sumo springs and VB Suspension are mentioned as alternatives. If you put 'Ducato springs' in the Search box you'll find threads about uprating the front units.
Here's just one of many........

Reactions: mrT
OP
OP
mrT

mrT

Jul 15, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694
I fitted goldsmith front springs on our 694 HymeršŸ‘
yes but trouble is goldschmidt front springs are around Ā£700! (ouch!) the Kilen one's are around sub Ā£140,which i'm told are almost as good. it's an old van at the end of the day and not worth spending that type of money on just springs alone.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I fitted the Kilen springs to my 2001 B584 , I renewed everything thing so when I did it I could take old out and new in.
I had a job to find a garage to fit the springs to the struts due to size.
I bought springs from eBay and the struts from Coastal motorhomes but when I had the springs fitted I didnā€™t like how the springs sat on cup so returned struts and bought them of eBay also, so I ended up paying twice for springs to be fitted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: mrT
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I've fitted Killen springs twice now. No problems at all. They come in a crappy cardboard box as apposed to Goldschmits fancy packaging. Oh and they are black not blue.

OP
OP
mrT

mrT

Jul 15, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694
I fitted the Kilen springs to my 2001 B584 , I renewed everything thing so when I did it I could take old out and new in.
I had a job to find a garage to fit the springs to the struts due to size.
I bought springs from eBay and the struts from Coastal motorhomes but when I had the springs fitted I didnā€™t like how the springs sat on cup so returned struts and bought them of eBay also, so I ended up paying twice for springs to be fitted.
thanks for that. i take it was the Kilen 12152 springs? (apparently the heavy duty Lesjofors 4026169 springs are the same.)(kilen are part of the same company)
have you a link to the struts? (was going to get them from coastal also) also which cups were they and where from?
obviously i want to replace the lot also.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks for that. i take it was the Kilen 12152 springs? (apparently the heavy duty Lesjofors 4026169 springs are the same.)(kilen are part of the same company)
have you a link to the struts? (was going to get them from coastal also) also which cups were they and where from?
obviously i want to replace the lot also.
Yes 12152 springs and these struts

I bought strut top bearing and bump stops from coastal
1724245501565.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back