12volt socket by tv aerial (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
We are off grid and we can't get a supply from the 12volt socket by tv aerial socket, need for my cpap machine.
Any help please thank you

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Need more detail?
Have you measured voltage at the socket?
Have you got 12V everywhere else - lights, other sockets, roof fans etc?

OP
OP
B
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Need more detail?
Have you measured voltage at the socket?
Have you got 12V everywhere else - lights, other sockets, roof fans etc?
If i turn ignition on have 12v sockets in cab work ok, the one by tv aerial still nothing.
Roof fan ok 12v lights ok, everything else seems fine just this one 12v socket.
Looking at wiring diagram it should be on.
It's a Autotrail frontier navajo 2010.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I would be taking the socket off the wall, checking the rear connections are ok and at same time testing the voltage.
the outer cover will prise off to reveal screws holding the socket.
If it's been added later and not an original fitting there may be a fuse holder inline somewhere.
Make sure you test fuses with a multimeter, they can often look ok to naked eye but actually be blown.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Have you plugged anything else in to try the supply? Sometimes cigar type plugs don't make a good contact? Has the item worked previously?

Dec 3, 2021
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
6m Campervan
Do you have an "aux" switch on your control panel? This may need to be on for the 12v socket to work

OP
OP
B
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Hi took the 12v socket off the wall, the back of it are 2 wires, white and orange, yellow and white, no voltage to them.
Took the sargent unit out and there is one wire the yellow and white that looks the same size as connected to the 12v socket in the Roof plug on the circuit board of the sargent unit, in the manual is a plug Roof 4, I can't see that on my unit but this has no voltage either. Any fuses on the circuit board are good.
Any idea please thanks.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Is this with the ignition on? Some motorhomes are wired so that if the ignition is on, the sockets in the habitation area don't work.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I think you need to check the wire coming from the fusebox. What make/model is the fusebox? You said you checked the voltage at the back of the socket, was that with a multimeter?

OP
OP
B
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Sargent ec500
I've checked the 12v at the fuses and it's ok
Yes a fluke multimeter.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I know nothing about Auto Trail but some manufacturers fit wiring for options but do not connect it unless the option is selected when ordering new. Is this socket there for an optional second tv in the bedroom? If so perhaps it has not been fully connected. As I say I know nothing about your particular motorhome, just guessing based on what some other manufacturers do.

OP
OP
B
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Its a c
What kind of sockets are they?
Have you taken the backs of all of the sockets in the van?
Are they all the same coloured wiring?
It's a cigarette lighter type socket.
There is only one in the living area.
The one in the xab works when the ignition is on.

OP
OP
B
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
It's the onl
I know nothing about Auto Trail but some manufacturers fit wiring for options but do not connect it unless the option is selected when ordering new. Is this socket there for an optional second tv in the bedroom? If so perhaps it has not been fully connected. As I say I know nothing about your particular motorhome, just guessing based on what some other manufacturers do.
It's the only 12v socket in the living area, so I think it's not a optional extra.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
There seems to be a few reasons why it isnt working

no power -
blown/faulty fuse which youve checked to be ok
wiring disconnected or damaged or additional in line fuse that you havent located is faulty - can you do some sort of continuity test on both wires (you may need to have some spare cable to lengthen the cables to test them? - it might be the lack of a properly connected earth or live ? is there a switch to isolate that particular socket that you havent found?

faulty fitting -
can you remove the fitting and connect up something else that operates on 12v? are the connections faulty/loose?

have you tried testing with the ignition on aswell as off?

my experience in these issues (some of which i have created myself) is that you need to methodically go through the process of testing and checking from one end of the 'circuit' to the other. often time consuming

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Its a c

It's a cigarette lighter type socket.
There is only one in the living area.
The one in the xab works when the ignition is on.
If there is power at the fuse then you can only try and trace the two wires down the van.
You could just run two new wires to the socket .
You could extend the meter cables and test each wire for continuity, although it's not going to help much

OP
OP
B
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
There seems to be a few reasons why it isnt working

no power -
blown/faulty fuse which youve checked to be ok
wiring disconnected or damaged or additional in line fuse that you havent located is faulty - can you do some sort of continuity test on both wires (you may need to have some spare cable to lengthen the cables to test them? - it might be the lack of a properly connected earth or live ? is there a switch to isolate that particular socket that you havent found?

faulty fitting -
can you remove the fitting and connect up something else that operates on 12v? are the connections faulty/loose?

have you tried testing with the ignition on aswell as off?

my experience in these issues (some of which i have created myself) is that you need to methodically go through the process of testing and checking from one end of the 'circuit' to the other. often time consuming
Hi, there is 12v power to lights, pump, etc.
I'm going to try and do the continuity check when home.
Still the same if ignition on or off.
Diagram in manual doesn't show a in line fuse.
Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
B
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
How do I upload a photo?
Try on here to show part of circuit diagram from manual and it gets to 88% then stops.

OP
OP
B
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
This is from my hand book

img_1684833599927.jpg

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
This will need a process of elimination. Some of these you have already apparently done, but work through again to be absolutely certain.

Try at least two different appliances in the 12V socket. That rules out the appliance or plug on the appliance being the problem.

Swap the fuse from the circuit that is suspect in the Sargent into a circuit that you know is good, such as lighting. If the lights stay on you have proved the fuse and can replace it into the suspect socket. No lights = new fuse needed.

Some 12V sockets will have a fuse in the fitting, or in line close by. Have a look for this.

At the rear of the 12V socket, unplug the wires and put multimeter across the two ends. Check the wires remain fully connected to the plugs (usually push fit).
If voltage then problem is in the socket, or directly the connections to it.
No voltage then either no positive along wire from Sargent, or no connection on the negative back to the battery. Can you find an alternative positive and negative nearby? Try and test multimeter voltages between the positive to the socket and the alternative negative, and vice versa. Will establish if issue is on positive wiring or negative wiring to the socket.

At the Sargent, unplug the connector wire to the circuit. Check the plug fitting is intact. Put multimeter across the Sargent outlet pin (not the unplugged wire end) on the Sargent to any convenient negative. If no voltage problem is in the Sargent unit. If voltage you know problem is in the wiring to the socket.

Without pulling your van apart, you may be able to temporarily run a wire even directly from the battery positive to positive of the socket, or vice versa from negative to negative, to prove the socket itself can work. Alternatively, the basic sockets are quite cheap and it may be worth buying a replacement and simply fitting it to see what happens.

With only the one 12V outlet on the habitation side, I would be considering in any case creating an additional circuit, which can be direct from the leisure battery with an inline fuse, on which you can mount another 12V socket and a couple of USB points.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back