hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Ongoing problem.

Adria 2019 van

Added 2 x lithium ks energy batteries, which should work with existing charger and solar controller.

But.

Overnight between 11pm and 6am the 12v power shuts down. Control panel , everything.

Turn control panel back on and everything works OK till the next night, it's almost as if there's a timer somewhere, I've tried leaving lights on so there's a drain. Resetting everything before we retire.

Only thing showing is ks app shows different voltage to control panel. App shows 13.4 panel shows 13.1.

Adria says its battery tension . Wtf is that?

We leave a light on at night , so we know if lights off its turned off again.

Help

We getting no sleep because we keep waking to see if it's off

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
the KS energy app shows ah usage too, what ah usage draw does it show on normal just before bed. And how many ah remaining capacity does it show
and if you go into the icon that looks like 3 lines in a box are all the cells reading the same or very nearly

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The difference in voltage between the app and the panel is expected. The app is measuring it within the battery. The panel is probably measuring it at a distance and there's voltage drop along the cable. Don't worry about it unless the difference is a volt or more.

Does the KS Energy app show state of charge? Most lithium batteries have a (basic) shunt so they know their charge levels.

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
The difference in voltage between the app and the panel is expected. The app is measuring it within the battery. The panel is probably measuring it at a distance and there's voltage drop along the cable. Don't worry about it unless the difference is a volt or more.

Does the KS Energy app show state of charge? Most lithium batteries have a (basic) shunt so they know their charge levels.
Normally 95 to 97% when going to bed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
the KS energy app shows ah usage too, what ah usage draw does it show on normal just before bed. And how many ah remaining capacity does it show
and if you go into the icon that looks like 3 lines in a box are all the cells reading the same or very nearly
All cells same. Amp draw minimal amount. 1 or .2

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
My control panel (much older than yours) has a timer on it. Could yours have been activated by accident?
There's nothing anywhere that could be a timer , unless it's hidden

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
There have been earlier posts about KS Energy batteries having a sleep mode which cuts in if there is no activity. A battery that turns itself off falls into the ā€œchocolate fireguardā€ category as far as I am concerned.

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
There's nothing anywhere that could be a timer , unless it's hidden
Mine is in the control panel menu, software, not a lump of any sort. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I will be avoiding LiFePO4 batteries with built in bluetooth when I upgrade my new Malibu Van. I would rather the batteries just sat there with permanently live terminals (subject to normal BMS cutoff parameters) and external monitoring by a Victron Shunt. This has worked for me for the last 6 years. I also have a preference for cylindrical cells over prismatic ones but this has cost and minor weight implications so I have not yet decided.

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
I will be avoiding LiFePO4 batteries with built in bluetooth when I upgrade my new Malibu Van. I would rather the batteries just sat there with permanently live terminals (subject to normal BMS cutoff parameters) and external monitoring by a Victron Shunt. This has worked for me for the last 6 years. I also have a preference for cylindrical cells over prismatic ones but this has cost and minor weight implications so I have not yet decided.
I used to prefer cylindrical cells, because my understanding was the manufacturing process, and mechanical properties were better developed since cylindrical were the first mass produced types. I think the difference now is negligible, so would happily go with a decent brand with prismatic cells. What I would like is Victron compatibility just because my kit is Victron, and now there is a growing list of suppliers......

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm not sure that logic tracks. Just because you have less visibility, or doesn't mean it's not going to have the same features. Most of the BMSs are from a handful of manufacturers.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Like my KS underseat battery then. Never shuts off but there is an on/off button onit.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
But it must be the bms that sends the battery to sleep not Bluetooth as that is just to monitor the bms isn't it?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
But it must be the bms that sends the battery to sleep not Bluetooth as that is just to monitor the bms isn't it?
That is logical but it seems to be ones with bluetooth monitoring that have issues. Perhaps they only set a sleep function because the bluetooth drain needs turning off? Sleep mode is not the only issue, some Funsters have reported bluetooth failures and it seems this is often not covered by the warranty. I like to keep things simple and equipment separate so that any failure can be easily isolated and sorted. Just a personal preference, no right or wrong involved.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I'm not sure that logic tracks. Just because you have less visibility, or doesn't mean it's not going to have the same features. Most of the BMSs are from a handful of manufacturers.
Just a personal preference but I have never heard of a low use sleep mode on a battery without bluetooth. Cost is another factor, my preferred manufacturer charges an extra Ā£125 per battery for the bluetooth model and for two batteries one Victron Shunt works out cheaper.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I used to prefer cylindrical cells, because my understanding was the manufacturing process, and mechanical properties were better developed since cylindrical were the first mass produced types. I think the difference now is negligible, so would happily go with a decent brand with prismatic cells. What I would like is Victron compatibility just because my kit is Victron, and now there is a growing list of suppliers......
One manufacturer that uses both types gives a 10 year warranty on the cylindrical cells (without bluetooth) but the equivalent prismatic battery gets 6 years warranty. This suggests they still see some advantage. However the extra cost may lead me to choose prismatic anyway.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Just a personal preference but I have never heard of a low use sleep mode on a battery without bluetooth. Cost is another factor, my preferred manufacturer charges an extra Ā£125 per battery for the bluetooth model and for two batteries one Victron Shunt works out cheaper.
I think it's just this brand that has the over enthusiastic sleep function.

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Can't be the cells themselves, it can only be the bms shutting down functions to reduce its own consumption?

The only real thing for mine is I don't know what the cell balance is like with my batteries, I do know that the regime is set so the bms has every chance to balance the cells, so if the battery looses capacity at some point I'll not know if its a balance issue or a duff cell for some other reason, but my only remedy will be the warranty in either case..... unless I open it up which is unlikely unless the warranty is refused.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
I suppose you've phoned KS about this issue?
If not, call them, I did and they were very helpful.

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Contacted ks . Very helpful, took the batteries off 1s 13.38 and other 1 only read 2.3 v on the multimeter, so we think that dragging the other down.

Speaking tomorrow to ks again looks like exchange or repair if possible.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Contacted ks . Very helpful, took the batteries off 1s 13.38 and other 1 only read 2.3 v on the multimeter, so we think that dragging the other down.

Speaking tomorrow to ks again looks like exchange or repair if possible.
Good news. I always try to buy from UK companies that have real customer services like KS, not just online bots or untrained "advisors" which they usually are notšŸ˜€

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back