Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Help! Our TomTom Camper version SatNav (and Google maps of course) insist on trying to route us down roads which are sometimes not much more than country lanes (mainly talking UK routes). It’s so annoying that we now always have a road map handy to ensure we don’t take the suggested ‘shortcut’!
Is there a SatNav out there that only gives routes on A and B roads only and ignores anything smaller/narrower?? Maybe a HGV type SATNAV?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
For 30 years I've motorhomed only abroad and only use the m/home in the U.K. to attend specific events. When touring I never have a set destination in mind so everywhere is somewhere for me. I like surprises, challenges even, and to experience the geographic and architectural transitions as I pass through villages and the countryside rather than belt down somewhere and miss it all.
For 20 years I took three or four flights every week throughout Europe and the U.S.A. and never had the sensation of travelling as it was just one scene as I boarded the plane and another as I got off it with nothing to see except clouds in between, then taxis, hotels, boardrooms, factory floors and restaurants, all with people having various financial incentives to be nice to me.
I used to explain to my kids that the holiday started as our front gate closed. Totally with you re motorways.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I used to explain to my kids that the holiday started as our front gate closed. Totally with you re motorways.

Mine starts as soon as I get on the ferry - a 25 minute drive from home.

Just think what the traffic would be like through the villages and countryside if the motorways weren't there . . . . :)
Yebbut, the thing I do like about motorways is they act like Lidl stores in keeping the riff-raff out of Sainsburys.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Mine starts as soon as I get on the ferry - a 25 minute drive from home.

Yebbut, the thing I do like about motorways is they act like Lidl stores in keeping the riff-raff out of Sainsburys.
Indeed, like Sainsburys keep the riff-raff out of M&S and they both keep them out of Waitrose . . . . :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I use Tom Tom go commercial version
Don’t you mean Camper Version? What’s the commercial version?

Commercial ver may be the way to go 👍

The above seems to be the first mention of a commercial version🤔.

The Camper versions of both TT and Garmin allow you to input your vehicles dimensions and are preloaded with Camper POIs. What is it that is drawing you to this ‘commercial’ version?

Ian

Upvote 0
OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009

The Camper versions of both TT and Garmin allow you to input your vehicles dimensions and are preloaded with Camper POIs. What is it that is drawing you to this ‘commercial’ version?

Ian
Never heard of a commercial version but if there is one, and it is more applicable for larger vehicles and the subsequent routing takes this into acount then maybe it’s worth exploring. Would need to see/hear some evidence first though.
I suspect though that satnavs generally only know about weight limits, speed limits and low bridges, and the routing algorithms are based on these. Possibly there is no data on condition or width of roads, hence the inappropriate routing.

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I suspect though that satnavs generally only know about weight limits, speed limits and low bridges, and the routing algorithms are based on these. Possibly there is no data on condition or width of roads, hence the inappropriate routing.

I agree.👍

Ian

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
johnandi. The nearest Sat Nav I use, which I'd say is close to a commercial unit, is the Xgody X4 9" unit, available on Ebay, Amazon, and from Xgody direct.

An example of 7 & 9" units.

Most of us who use them are very happy with them, and (reliable) 2024 updates are available via Facebook Groups.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

P.S. I purposely chose not to have the Bluetooth or FM transmitter functions, keeping it simple and with less to go wrong.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
I thought it was car sat nav and standalone in motorhome.
That's why I raised shortest vs fastest setting on standalone. Shortest will send you down any road to achieve the shortest distance whereas fastest will normally be on better roads particularly if you set appropriate road speed criteria.
In built sat nav in sprinter based, with dimensions input, set to fastest, also using magic earth/Google maps via android auto.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
johnandi. The nearest Sat Nav I use, which I'd say is close to a commercial unit, is the Xgody X4 9" unit, available on Ebay, Amazon, and from Xgody direct.

An example of 7 & 9" units.

Most of us who use them are very happy with them, and (reliable) 2024 updates are available via Facebook Groups.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

P.S. I purposely chose not to have the Bluetooth or FM transmitter functions, keeping it simple and with less to go wrong.
Thanks Jock, I'll look into these (y)

Upvote 0
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp

Ian
Well when I decided to download the programme I was offered a 'truck version' (I used the term 'commercial' as I thought it was more understandable) and that is what I downloaded. It costs €89.99 a year and works on Android Auto, so connects to the van via the mobile. You add your dimensions and weight in the programme and, as said earlier, it should not send you down walking paths (so far it hasn't, but I'm not holding my breath). As a comparison, the car version is only €19.99 a year, but at my age, if it will save me from heart palpitations/acceleration, it's going to be worth the extra €70.

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Well when I decided to download the programme I was offered a 'truck version' (I used the term 'commercial' as I thought it was more understandable) and that is what I downloaded.

Understood. Is the Camper version (that also allows dimensions to be added) cheaper? I seem to recall a figure of around £60/year when I looked some time ago.

Ian

Upvote 0
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
That’s where you’re going wrong; there is no ‘normal’ vehicle that is 4 metres wide and the device knows that. It therefore will assume that it is an error and ignore it.
Try putting in a credible dimension.

Ian
nope, it was on default and taking us down narrow d roads, i then punched in our van size - no differance - it was then i tried 4 mtre width -also no differance and i i offer my experiance into the logic of tomtom not as a matter of debate just as a warning. I maintain my opinion that it looks at the full width of the road and declares it passable. perhaps as bigtwin says - Possibly there is no data on condition or width of roads, hence the inappropriate routing. But for the sake of curiosity i may tell it i am 5 mtrs or even 6 mtrs wide and see what happens if anything. AS per other comments i dont just use tom in europe i use waze and tom tom and they are compared depending on which way we want to go, someimes the wife gets her elderly sat nav out (a garmin) and which ever 2 devices agree to take that.it makes for fun journeys :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
whats this 60 quid a year thing ? my tom tom camper charges me nothing with lifetime maps, aware it tries to sell me updates camera details -but is that it for 60 quid ?

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
What do xgody users say?
Shaun The Sheep Movie Ok GIF

Upvote 0
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
My bloody Tom tom.camper has just done it again, and took me down a french road only inches wider than the MH, and of course met something coming the other way.. to recap its brill for knowing campsites and places, but pants at avoiding narrow roads. Down the years I have tried most of them and all have got weaknesses and strengths. So I use Tom Tom to guide me and waze to advise me, but nothing has yet to save me from narrow french and English country lanes. Anyone ?

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
My bloody Tom tom.camper has just done it again, and took me down a french road only inches wider than the MH, and of course met something coming the other way.. to recap its brill for knowing campsites and places, but pants at avoiding narrow roads. Down the years I have tried most of them and all have got weaknesses and strengths. So I use Tom Tom to guide me and waze to advise me, but nothing has yet to save me from narrow french and English country lanes. Anyone ?
I think the issue is that most roads are not mapped for width, if that information is not available,no satnav will avoid it.

Another issue is that our hedges are very poorly maintained in this country, what could have been easily passable a few years ago, now with an extra foot or so of growth overhanging each side, now suddenly becomes very tight, often scraping both sides at once😱

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
My bloody Tom tom.camper has just done it again, and took me down a french road only inches wider than the MH, and of course met something coming the other way.

Sat navs only use the width of your vehicle to avoid objects with marked width restrictions. They can’t use that data to avoid narrow roads. This is no different to looking at a map. A map won’t tell you that a particular road is too narrow for your vehicle.

Only the routing preferences/preferred road types settings will INFLUENCE the chosen route but it may be impossible to AVOID certain types of roads on certain routes.

Whatever their weaknesses I certainly prefer life with a Sat nav than life without one.

Ian

Upvote 0

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Indeed, like Sainsburys keep the riff-raff out of M&S and they both keep them out of Waitrose . . . . :)
Our local shopping centre has two separate ends of culture.
The Asda end and the Sainsbury’s end 😂😂

Then there is the M&S food hall, which has its own independent area and car park. 😳😳

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back