Lots of travelling, meeting lot's of people and I always ask! And you know what? It's amazing how many people have never heard of MotorhomeFun! (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
After one of my first posts which I now know would have been perceived as “ woke” and “leftie” ( I’m more careful these days) I was firmly told my sort werent wanted on this forum …..
Well I recognise your forum name so you obviously kept posting 👍. My views are out of kilter with the majority too so I try to avoid those topics - after all this is FUN - I don’t need any more stress in my life 😂.

I do think that if MHF wants to ensure continuity in the future it needs to attract younger members who may or may not have different perspectives on things.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I like the free posts . Free month would give too many dodgy characters access to the classifieds
I feel safe using them under the scrutiny of Jim

I may be wrong again but I think non paying members can view the classified section, they can possibly post but Jim would have to confirm this.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
On some insurance sites you are asked if you belong to a club. But never seen MHfun listed.? :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

15isto2

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 27, 2018
Funster No
Could you get people near campsites/parkups to go around knocking on the doors of motorhomes asking people to sign up, possibly you could pay them a small commission. You could leave some stickers on their windows if nobody is in.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I think you're doing very well!

I get Out & About Live's emails, but rarely use the website.
I occasionally look at Practical Motorhomes' site, but usually when someone has posted a link to a specific article.
Both sites feel like advertising sites with some other content, rather than the other way round.

I like MHF because it's clear, easy to access and the information is all specific and I can dip in and out of the bits I want to see. The home pages aren't littered with ads. It also has a good level of interaction from a range of members so that you get good conversation going and it's not always the same few people who are 'holding the floor'. There are lots of genuinely interesting posts, some wonderfully helpful members, and the 'ignore' facility is very handy!

In terms of stickers on vans, I avoid them. Even the owners group which I help run does not have a sticker on my van!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Well I recognise your forum name so you obviously kept posting 👍. My views are out of kilter with the majority too so I try to avoid those topics - after all this is FUN - I don’t need any more stress in my life 😂.

I do think that if MHF wants to ensure continuity in the future it needs to attract younger members who may or may not have different perspectives on things.

I've spoken to a few folk on sites who weren't members and had conversations with others online who joined and didn't renew. Several reported that they felt that there appears to be a reasonably big gap in culture, attitudes etc between what they they want and what they hear about / see on some of the forum posts. You can't appeal to everyone but some of the posts I see represent views and opinions that I never encounter outside of this forum and they would not appeal to the younger folk I know.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I've spoken to a few folk on sites who weren't members and had conversations with others online who joined and didn't renew. Several reported that they felt that there appears to be a reasonably big gap in culture, attitudes etc between what they they want and what they hear about / see on some of the forum posts. You can't appeal to everyone but some of the posts I see represent views and opinions that I never encounter outside of this forum and they would not appeal to the younger folk I know.
Spot on , the motorhomers I mainly speak to that are not on here are usually the sort who are always moaned about on here.
My son for one, you think I'm argumentative, you want to try him :(
Also all the ones that have a YouTube channel iv never seen any that are on here.

15isto2

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 27, 2018
Funster No
Spot on , the motorhomers I mainly speak to that are not on here are usually the sort who are always moaned about on here.
My son for one, you think I'm argumentative, you want to try him :(
Also all the ones that have a YouTube channel iv never seen any that are on here.
Were the Travel Trolls not on at one point?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Jim you should email the magazine to one of those muppets who write on a freelance basis for mail online. I am sure they would pick a story out of there like they did quite recently with the Funster who self installed security bollards on their drive.

Edit - Just say they can use any story as long as they mention motorhomefun.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I enjoy being a Funster,however,l have to say l am not keen on the name because of cogitations as others have mentioned.
I do like the idea of a rear sticker of sorts as more people would take notice particularly if it also had a message of sorts including the link which the current sticker doesn’t have.

An idea might be for Jim to set up a competition where those talented folk might design one that could be short listed and so on.
Reinvention isn’t a bad thing as Jim has already said in his opening post he is surprised by how many haven’t heard of Fun.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Forgot to say if the above happened a good promotion could start for little cost by issuing a press release of the new name etc along with information on what we are about to all Media outlets,they are constantly looking for something to fill their pages.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
if it also had a message of sorts including the link which the current sticker doesn’t have.

Our current range of stickers

1713623954740.png

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
I enjoy being a Funster,however,l have to say l am not keen on the name because of cogitations as others have mentioned.
I do like the idea of a rear sticker of sorts as more people would take notice particularly if it also had a message of sorts including the link which the current sticker doesn’t have.

An idea might be for Jim to set up a competition where those talented folk might design one that could be short listed and so on.
Reinvention isn’t a bad thing as Jim has already said in his opening post he is surprised by how many haven’t heard of Fun.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.
I agree. This is a fantastic, well administered, forum. It is the only forum I am a member of. Perhaps rebranding would be worth considering.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
They can see, but they cannot list or buy.
Why is that Jim? Not the selling, but the buying might help? If you bought membership to sell a reasonable item it could be quite cheap? £20 quid to advertise your motorhome etc is good value. But, if non members cant "buy" then its not a big audiance.

I think growing any forum these days is a huge challenge, mainly due to two things..wanna be presenters on You Tube saturating the market and the numerous facebook groups out there for every aspect of motorhoming there is.

I don't generally come on MHF for info, i come on for the community aspect. However, if you google any issue with your motorhome, generally MHF comes up with an answer.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Interesting to see the average page views on only 1.7 per vist, I'd imagine it being fsr more than that but the bounce rate is ok ?

Twitter
Insta
Tik tok
All drive key viewers, and dare I say it, Facebook.

then there is adwords..affiliate marketing via google, bing etc but youre not really selling a direct product, so would need a careful eye on the budget. Maybe chuck a few hundred at it and see what return comes ???

.Then it's a question of converting all the above to members..
Trouble is..time ?? ,

You do the shows anyway and have a large gobby base of members who talk about MHF and spread the word..(i assume) ...I certainly do. Not sure how many members are active regular.

Get us members to post their own videos promoting themselves in a mhf adorned something...give tee shirts away or flog them
You know..all that gear that you've probably done before anyway at shows.

Maybe the potential customer base is that big that having a small slice slowly but surely growing is good going.

And if all that fails..get some scantily clad ladies and gents (for balance) draped across the front of motorhomes or your landy at shows with MHF sashes on.. :LOL:

Local radio ads and interviews aren't expensive nowadays

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We've discussed the FUN thing countless times with countless people over the years. quite a few people have told us at the trade stand that they would never want to be known as a 'Funster' and think the name MotorhomeFun is a bit silly. I smile as I consider our name and the adopted term Funster to be a big ingredient of our secret sauce. Because very often those people who think its a bit naff, just wouldn't fit in well here anyway.

Not the selling, but the buying might help?

It was open to non subscribers at the beginning, but two people were scammed and there were a lot of time wasters. If you've paid a sub, I know your real name and know your address. Otherwise you could be anyone.

Oct 19, 2019
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Swift
Exp
Since 2012
I have been a member of MH FUN since October 2019, and display a funster sticker in my windscreen. I spend more nights in the motorhome than in my own home and not once has another funster made themselves known to me although I have introduced myself to the funsters I have spotted on sites. I travel all over the UK, Ireland and the EU so with the amount of members I would have expected to see more than I have.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This is a new sticker, I just got 10,000 of them on rolls. Its just an indestructable weatherproof permanant small, just 50mm square sticker. But its a grafitti sticker of the kind that you see stuck all over from other clubs on Aire wastepoints, and campsite office windows. :D. I'll be dolling these out soon.

50mm Sticker.png

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
This is a new sticker, I just got 10,000 of them on rolls. Its just an indestructable weatherproof permanant small, just 50mm square sticker. But its a grafitti sticker of the kind that you see stuck all over from other clubs on Aire wastepoints, and campsite office windows. :D. I'll be dolling these out soon.

View attachment 887944

I will have some of these please 👍

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Interesting to see the average page views on only 1.7 per vist

We have a ridiculous amount visitors from Google who read just one thread and leave. But importantly the figures above are educated guesses via similarweb. But they cannot know true picture.

For instance I know from my analytics that in the last 28 days 320,000 users have spent an average session time of 6m 30s per session here. 180,000 have us bookmarked and come direct, while almost half a million find us with a web search. Thats incredible really. No wonder we're looking to upgade our servers again very soon!

1713627241712.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back