Souillac

Wednesday 6th September 2023

Still stifling hot, we packed up the van after breakfast and dumped the grey waste off at the service point. Left Baynac around 9.45am and headed for our next site, in a place called Souillac. It’s only about an hour up the road and Del found a big supermarket on the way where we could restock our provisions! We left the shop nearly €100 lighter but the drinks, food and afew other necessities added to the weight of the van! Arrived at our next campsite around 11.30am. Del stayed with the van and I went in to book in. Our credit card was denied but luckily Del wandered in to the reception area just at that moment and was able to pay on a different card! This site is called camping Les Ondines and also has the river Dordogne running along its boundary. We pitched up, looking for a shady spot rather than the usual sunny one! After lunch we escaped the mid day sun by lazing under the vans awning with the the fans going. Later in the afternoon we walked to the village centre. I’d researched the village and apparently a visit to the Abbatiale Sainte Marie abbey church is a “ must see”. The church dates from the 12th century and is of Roman style architecture, although there was a monastery here from the 10th century. It wasn’t a particularly ornate or highly decorated church but the one thing it did have going for it was that inside it was blessedly cool! Sadly the other place I wanted to visit was permanently closed, it was a museum of automated toys produced between 1860 till 1960. Oh well, c’est la vie!! Back at the van we sat outside under the welcome shade of the trees we were parked under. Del wandered up to the reception and ordered fresh bread and croissants for tomorrow morning!
IMG_6594.jpeg

IMG_6595.jpeg

Thursday 7th September 2023

A breakfast treat today as Del walked up to reception and collected our bread and croissant order! Had our croissant with fresh filter coffee! Set off around 10 am on a 6 mile bike ride. We left early to avoid the mid day heat. Began by going up hill for the first part of the ride but the pay back was some far reaching views from the top. Passed through a tiny village and along a road with big houses either side, obviously this is where the monied people of Souillac live!
IMG_6611.jpeg

After a drink Del decided to go off again, this time on a longer 14 miler loop around the area.
IMG_6618.jpeg
IMG_6620.jpeg

I stayed behind and sewed a popper on my baggy top as well as attaching a hanging loop on our new towel. Del got back and found he had a puncture - he repaired it after we had some lunch. Quiet afternoon trying to avoid getting too hot and sweaty! I showered before we cooked tea and Del showered later after packing away the bikes, chairs, tables and mat, ready for our move tomorrow.

Heading to Millau tomorrow.

Comments

Journal entry information

Author
Old Rascal
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

Share this entry

“AS