Day 14 - Dingle Penninsular (26 June 2023)

20230626_174056.jpg
Ah the joys of family oriented campsites. Kiddies were playing until the 11:00pm curfew, including a poor rendition of something on the Irish Whistle. And then they were all screaming and crying well before 8:00am. I suppose I shouldn't complain I do now have emptied and filled liquidity. So onwards.

I rejoin the Wild Atlantic Way in not that wild a location, Foynes. Now a small port, in the late 1930s through to 1945 it was the "runway" for flying boats to the USA. Apparently there is a museum somewhere.

20230626_114716.jpg

Weather this morning became quite horrid with some vicious squalls. Fortunately by mid afternoon it brightened, but remained prone to a bit of light showers that still hindered visibility for photos.

Progressing towards Tralee Bay along the south of the Shannon Estuary the countryside was fairly plain. It was apparent the coastline was treacherous with some large sand bars around Beale Bay (top tip don't go to Beale Strand in anything over 2.1m due to height barrier and single track with no turning point).

20230626_124215.jpg

Continuing through Tralee more mountainous country could be seen even though the road was still a fairly straight course. It started to narrow with warnings of restrictions ahead. Taking a side viewpoint route I headed to Sron Bhrion, along single track barely wide enough for my PVC. This is St Brenda's country. It is thought he may have discovered the Americas hundreds of years before Columbus having prepared for his voyages in this area.

20230626_155728.jpg

The WAW signage directs you towards the Connor Pass. But as you close on it there are not particularly clear signs that over 1.8m wide and greater than 2.0T vehicles and others are banned. That rules out even many of larger SUVs, let alone PVC motorhomes. I have no idea of enforcement measures, and there did seem to be other vans and motorhomes in the area. I turned round, a long diversion back to the N86 for Dingle.

After Dingle it got interesting following the Slea Head Loop. It's recommended to do this clockwise and larger vehicles are restricted. It was debatable if my PVC was permitted on weight but I saw a few other motorhomes and minibuses on the route. It would be very challenging in places if meeting a large vehicle coming opposite way.

The Slea Head route crawls round the Dingle Peninsula, passing Dunmore Head (the most western mainland point of Ireland), clinging in places to the edge of the cliff before clambering back across a valley back into Dingle. There are, if you want, a number of weird and prehistoric points of interest such as ring forts and beehive houses, and even a place to cuddle a lamb. Short on time I wasn't tempted, although apparently the Blasket Visitor Centre should have been a must visit. There are views to the Blasket Islands and also across bays where many are wrecked including remnants of the Spanish Armada.

20230626_173608.jpg

20230626_173628.jpg

20230626_174056.jpg

20230626_174327.jpg

20230626_174355.jpg

20230626_175302.jpg

20230626_175637.jpg

I have then almost come full circle back to my overnight at a pub stop. Paidi O Se's at Ard A Bhothair. Yay Guinness!

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Journal entry information

Author
Kannon Fodda
Read time
2 min read
Views
Last update

Share this entry

“AS
Direct Motorhome Services