Building-Up

I saw a thread about creating a journal and decided to have a crack at it. I already have a blog that I use to keep family appraised of the trips we are taking and when we are out, what's happening and where we are.

So I thought as a fully paid up member of Motorhome Fun I'd see if this works as a record of the trips we are doing. Apart from our usual two night stays at sites and CL's we tend to have two longer trips. We usually restrict these to 15 or 16 days away.

Last year we did a fortnight in France and later in November, to avoid the World Cup, we did three weeks to France and Spain. We have an ageing dog and as he gets older he has begun to appreciate being away less and less. He has become nervous of walks along roads. It's not fair to force him to walk where he is frightened or simply anxious.

One of the reasons we are using CL's in East Anglia is that we choose ones where there are dog walks that can be achieved without recourse to the roads. We also choose sites carefully. We have visited East Fleet Farm and Back of Beyond several times. Neither are the cheapest sites but both have access to traffic free walks.

View attachment 754089

Our current motorhome is a 2019 Elddis Autoquest 175. It replaced our last one, a 2013 Elddis Majestic 115 on April 1st this year. So far, touch wood, we have had no problems with it. We have a two-year warranty though. Saying that, the 115 had a couple of problems that were sorted quickly by JC Leisure in Rye, East Sussex.

So that sets the stage for the Awaycation to France that begins on the 0750 Le Shuttle (to give them their new name!) from Folkestone to Coquelles. We have probably broken the rules of #vanlife by booking a few sites and camping-car park aires in advance.

Although we are self contained in the van, we never #2 in the loo. So staying at sites appeals to us. I know that many Funsters like to wild camp or use free aires and that's their choice and we have ours. Not every night though. We do aires but occasionally a nice warm loo and a shower that last longer than 3 minutes (especially in late autumn appeals to me and Mrs Moto).

As Reggie is on raw food we are pretty much b*ggered by the Brexit cock-up that doesn't allow meat products to be taken over to the EU. We did find that Picard (French Bejam/Iceland) does a chicken raw food called "dogador", it's not stocked by all their stores but Calais seems to have it.

View attachment 754093

First stop there then! Stock up the freezer with a few 500g "sausages" of it.

The first night I always like to have a place booked as it takes the pressure off looking for an aire and not finding one I like. It's June. Still not the high season and so ACSI will be working too. In fact, it's ACSI that has provided the first campsite in the lower part of the Champagne area.

That's it for now. See how I get on with this media.

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Journal entry information

Author
InvictaMoto
Read time
3 min read
Views
Last update

Share this entry

“AS
Alan Kerr,