AIB Insurance - What are they playing at? (1 Viewer)

Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
AIB Insurance, a MotorhomeFun member, is giving me grief regarding a refund of my insuance premium.

Having exported and re-registered my motorhome, in Slovenia, I needed to cancel my uk insurance and re-insure it here. The insurance policy was cancelled with AIB on the morning of the 16th of March. I heard nothing further from them and after a week I rang them again, they then sent me a email confirmation of cancellation but no confirmation of NCB. Another email request was needed before my NCB confirmation was received. Still no refund!

On the 29th of March I rang them again - they were putting a cheque in the post that day! Two weeks later still no cheque so I rang again, 'Oh the cheque was returned unpaid'!!! Could I give them the details of my original payment card and they would refund to that. Later that day they emailed me a document showing the refund amount which differed from the amount expected. Another phone call, the difference is their 20% fee but sorry they had calculated it wrongly so then correctly work out my refund. 2 days later I'm still waiting for my refund.

So what are they playing at? How can a cheque be returned unpaid when was never received or presented to a bank? This refund is a considerable amount of money because it relates to a full timing insurance policy. Why are they dragging their feet over repaying my refund??

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I reacted with a 'like' but that is not really the appropriate response here. David is my OH and he is just being given the runaround by AIB. Now I have read through a number of posts by other Funsters who have had problems with AIB in one way or another, and have come to the conclusion that they are not to be trusted.

OP
OP
Mr David
Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
Did you pay with a credit card? reclaim it
Hi Richard,
Yes I did, but how does that work on an insurance policy that was cancelled after just about 7 month of cover and a refund for just over 5 month due?
Regards, David.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Hi Richard,
Yes I did, but how does that work on an insurance policy that was cancelled after just about 7 month of cover and a refund for just over 5 month due?
Regards, David.
I’ve just cancelled my policy with them. Close to six months remaining. No refund! Tough..
2cars and a house will not be asking for a quote!

OP
OP
Mr David
Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
I’ve just cancelled my policy with them. Close to six months remaining. No refund! Tough..
2cars and a house will not be asking for a quote!
AIB Insurance terms and condition says something like '£45 or 20%, whichever is greater' as cancellation fee.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Richard,
Regards, David.
No idea but if they are tardy in there responses then reclaim the lot & let them ask you for the outstanding amount?
I have copied gus-lopez reply here as it got posted in the wrong thread.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
In defence of them, having not expected it, we got a fair % refund direct to bank card used to pay premium . Paid within 5 days of cancelling the policy

In our case we cancelled as the insurer wouldn’t take on our new electric car

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
For added interest:

The amount shown on the paperwork that David was eventually sent by AIB stated a return of £771.47. This was after the 'VM fee' of £35 had been deducted. 'VM' being VM Insurance (aka Victor Millwell) who reside at 'Comfort House' - Comfort Insurance being the other main provider of fulltiming insurance. No mention was made in this paperwork of a further '£45 or 20%, whichever is greater', which is tucked away in AIB's terms and conditions.

AIB's 20% fee works out at £154.31 - somewhat high for a bit of paperwork IMO. :RollEyes:

This is bad enough, but to be kept waiting for 29 days (and counting) for the refund is appalling. Add to this the pathetic excuses and attempted justifications for non-payment so far, and AIB are emerging as a decidedly dodgy company to deal with.

OP
OP
Mr David
Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
UPDATE

I've now received most of my insuance refund but still £35 short.
AIB have deducted 20%, for themselves, from the underwriters refund and this further £35 which they admitted, via my last phone call, was a mistake. I've now emailed them again asking that they correct the error that they had previously admitted. :unsure:

The underwriters were happy with their cancellation fee, which was a flat fee of £35 but AIB have a 'minimum fee or 20% whichever is greater'. I consider 20% excessive but I was told that that figure is quoted in their 'Terms and Conditions' and that I did not have to do business with them if I didn't like it!!!

I can't imagine I will be doing business with them in the future considering the poor service I have received from them and their lack of concern for customer satisfaction.

PS
In case you are wondering the underwriters £35 was already deducted before AIB took their 20% fee and the extra £35.00!!!!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Surprised there is no reply from AIB.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
This doesn’t sound good and I just changed from Comfort to AIB last week. Hope all will be well.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I did ask Jim to open a review section for them. Probably a busy man, but might be worth having all these comments in one place.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
I’m also having issues with AIB. Took my money no problem then I get a message on Saturday telling the underwriters won’t accept the certificate for Out Smart the Thief.

Still waiting on a reply saying they have sorted it out with underwriters.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
One other thing that AIB insurance said in the phone call (yes, I was earwigging!) was that they hadn't received their refund from Aviva yet. So it's pretty clear to me that they were deliberately hanging on to David's refund until they got their money back from Aviva. Hence the delays, the 'returned cheque' (ludicrous!) and other excuses. :RollEyes:

On most of their policies the cancellation charge of '£45 or 20%, whichever is greater' would not be that much of an issue. However, on a fulltiming policy (which already has an extortionate premium for no good reason) 20% is a considerable amount. Fulltimers beware.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back