Would you advise specifying an Oyster satellite system on a new ARTO? (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Arto 88
Hi
We have ordered an Arti but unsure as to whether we should add an Oyster satellite in this digital age of digital TVs.

What would others advise?

Thinking about those times when we’re high in the Alps or remoter places.

Thank you

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
We still use our dish regularly even thought we have streaming devices and plenty of data, use it loads abroad and when there is no terrestrial signal you will find mixed views on here I think cost puts loads off if you have the spare wonga why not (y)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
We still use our dish regularly even thought we have streaming devices and plenty of data, use it loads abroad and when there is no terrestrial signal you will find mixed views on here I think cost puts loads off if you have the spare wonga why not (y)
+1 Wouldn't be without it. Many many places without reliable data signal regardless of cost, and we've got a mimo fixed antenna.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
If I could get a 85cm dish on i’d go for a Jackson satellite at Wakefield one, imho better than the Oyster as regards build and motor quality, warranty and same or very similar GPS technology.

£1850 inc a box to get channels from the Intelsat sat as well as Astra
As Ditcha says it also saves your data when abroad 👍

Deleted User
I wouldnt buy it again if I bought a new motorhome. On most sites the trees or mountains take out the signal, and certainly on the continent we have rarely had a problem with a strong 4g connection for streaming.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Use a stand alone dish with a decent length of cable, then you can park in the shade. Far cheaper and more reliable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Marmite

I hate the stuff yet everyone else loves it. I love having a sat dish but no one else is fussed, until of course they ' need' to watch something and they have no data.
I wouldn't touch Marmite unless I was starving .....and then I would have some.

If that makes things clearer then you've got the wrong specs on ... :X3: :X3: :X3: :unsure: :giggle:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
there are places in the uk that data is an ussue and no matter which sim you have you get nowt. Then a satellite dish can be invaluable.
but i would never have a dish mounted on the roof of the van. you are restricted where you can park if you want line of site to the appropriate satelite.
so, depending on where we are going we carry a Firestick or a Firestick and a ground mounted sat dish which can be moved around for line of site while we remain in shade or even on pitch.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
It comes down to how much you need tv! If its a desperate situation......Then go for it. If not and you love each other enough to talk to each other.......save a few bob!
Joking aside....digital / Data is the way forward . That is why Sky has moved over to Glass. It does not need the dish!

Kev

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Satellite definitely, never a problem getting a picture .
A quick check with a handheld compass before pitching to check you have reasonably clear line of site south job done .
Tried the Streaming with a roof mounted antenna and find it’s far from reliable in many places both here and abroad with weak or non existent 4G .
Nothing worse than jerky tv picture and buffering because the phone signal is poor

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back