Will it damage old documents if I scan them? (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have my grandfather's entire naval record from Ordinary Seaman to Master of the Foretop (ships, ports, disciplinaries etc) and signed by each of his captains from 1852 to 1875 written on parchment which I'd like to scan on my HP Envoy 600 printer but concerned that the light beam might damage it.
I've considered asking at my local museum but maybe someone here can tell me?

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
If you have an iPhone (maybe other smart phones too?) you can scan a document the same as taking a photo. It lines up the document and will automatically take the picture when in focus without the background - results are as good as a printer scanner šŸ‘šŸ»

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If they are flat (not rolled)
Then the brief light from a scanner will do no harm

However if they are rolled or folded documents you should ask at your local museum.
(The National Maritime Museum at Greenwich would probably like a copy of the end result.)

Plus if your Grandfather was already at sea in 1852,
How old are you now ?
As a 185-190 year spread in three generations is impressive, it means each father must have been the wrong side of 62 when the baby was born.

(My sister is 100 years younger, to the day, than her grandfather)

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
If you have an iPhone (maybe other smart phones too?) you can scan a document the same as taking a photo. It lines up the document and will automatically take the picture when in focus without the background - results are as good as a printer scanner šŸ‘šŸ»
Itā€™s great as once youā€™ve discovered it you canā€™t stop scanning šŸ˜† Iā€™ve got the passports, log books, MOT certs, important letters even some receipts all nicely stored in files on phone / iMac/ cloud so can be accessed from anywhere šŸ‘šŸ»

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have my grandfather's entire naval record from Ordinary Seaman to Master of the Foretop (ships, ports, disciplinaries etc) and signed by each of his captains from 1852 to 1875 written on parchment which I'd like to scan on my HP Envoy 600 printer but concerned that the light beam might damage it.
I was able to scan my great grandfatherā€™s navel records at the National Archives in Kew. They were not written on parchment though, even though similar time frame. He was a Marine before they became Royal Marines.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Thanks all.

On second thoughts I'm rather inclined to ask the museum to advise and copy them for me as when opened up the pages are A3 size (or whatever the equivalent size was in 1852) as my printer's max is A4 so it would lose some of its appeal if copied in A4 and taped together.

However if they are rolled or folded documents you should ask at your local museum.
(The National Maritime Museum at Greenwich would probably like a copy of the end result.)
Folded and quite stiff and the creases are well set so I don't want to handle it too much.
Plus if your Grandfather was already at sea in 1852,
How old are you now ?
As a 185-190 year spread in three generations is impressive, it means each father must have been the wrong side of 62 when the baby was born.

(My sister is 100 years younger, to the day, than her grandfather)
Grandfather is shown as age 15 when he signed up but from his birth certificate he was in fact 13 and I have a copy of a document with his mother's 'Mark' (she was illiterate), falsifying his birth date and testifying that he was free from reformatory detention, rickets, fits, dropsy, pernicious anaemia, sight or hearing loss, imbecility and several other impediments.
I'm still collating the jigsaw of the exact timescales/dates but so far it seems that he married a 25 year old woman when he was around 60 (I haven't yet traced the marriage certificate) and died in 1927. My father was born in 1896. I'm 79 and my sister was 21 years younger than me. Dad was in Dad's Army (his was a 'reserved occupation') in WW2 fire watching on the South Downs (one rifle between five of them and the rounds were kept at the vicarage, a fifteen minute cycle ride away). According to my sister when my mother discovered that she was pregnant she said to my Dad: "Oh my goodness, what will the neighbours think?"
I wasn't at all welcome but that's another bit of history.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I was able to scan my great grandfatherā€™s navel records at the National Archives in Kew. They were not written on parchment though, even though similar time frame. He was a Marine before they became Royal Marines.
At the archives held at Portsmouth dockyard there's a record of all the sailors taking part at Trafalgar, their injuries and pay. My g.g. grandfather on my mother's side was on Victory and received a 'Win' bonus of 2/9d.
I almost wish this research wasn't so additive as I've never done it before but I can't seem to let go now and a 'quick ten minutes' on the web turns into hours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I can't seem to let go now and a 'quick ten minutes' on the web turns into hours.
Welcome to the club, it's taken a long time, and i'm quite lucky as my great Grandmother descended from a historically significant family, which has a well researched history, i've managed to get back to the 9th century on some family lines, much is available online and from the trees of DNA matches but I've also spent many hours researching at the British Library, it's an absolutely brilliant place and a privilege to be allowed to handle and read books/records that are hundreds of years old.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Have a work with your local County Archive. They may scan/ photograph them for you if they can have a copy. Archives are well used to dealing with very old documents, and unlike a museum are likely to have the appropriate equipment.

JnJ

Mar 15, 2019
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
You need to seek some professional advice. Not only for copying but for care and storage as they are very sensitive to environmental factors. You should only handle them with gloves on and as little as possible.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry meant to say, some local authorities call them the Record or Records Office.

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
You need to seek some professional advice. Not only for copying but for care and storage as they are very sensitive to environmental factors. You should only handle them with gloves on and as little as possible.
Thanks. I've had them with lots of old family docs in a heavy steel fireproof box at the bottom of a wardrobe for around 40 years and only started going through them last year.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I would love to do it but I wouldn't know where to start:unsure:
An older cousin started me off when I was in my teens by giving me some research he'd done whilst studying history at Uni, I went on to try and check what he'd found, got a readers pass for the British Library and later joined Ancestry, uploaded my tree to it, did quite a lot of research on the findmypast website and went from there.
If you'd like to have a go, sign up to Ancestry (there are others) start building a tree with as much information as you can get from parents, aunts, uncles etc. You may find that the software will give you hints on possible antecedents, you need to check these to ensure that they relate to your antecedent and not someone else's with the same name, I did a DNA test as well (in fact several with different providers) and found loads of cousins of varying degrees some of whose trees have filled holes in mine, some where we couldn't work out how we were connected, (it turned out there was an adoption involved) some I got on so well with that we have a WhatsApp group to keep in touch with each other, (our grand mothers were siblings).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I almost wish this research wasn't so additive as I've never done it before but I can't seem to let go now and a 'quick ten minutes' on the web turns into hours.
My wife has got into it spends hours every researching online & compiling huge spreadsheets of her family history.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Thanks all.

On second thoughts I'm rather inclined to ask the museum to advise and copy them for me as when opened up the pages are A3 size (or whatever the equivalent size was in 1852) as my printer's max is A4 so it would lose some of its appeal if copied in A4 and taped together.

Folded and quite stiff and the creases are well set so I don't want to handle it too much.

Grandfather is shown as age 15 when he signed up but from his birth certificate he was in fact 13 and I have a copy of a document with his mother's 'Mark' (she was illiterate), falsifying his birth date and testifying that he was free from reformatory detention, rickets, fits, dropsy, pernicious anaemia, sight or hearing loss, imbecility and several other impediments.
I'm still collating the jigsaw of the exact timescales/dates but so far it seems that he married a 25 year old woman when he was around 60 (I haven't yet traced the marriage certificate) and died in 1927. My father was born in 1896. I'm 79 and my sister was 21 years younger than me. Dad was in Dad's Army (his was a 'reserved occupation') in WW2 fire watching on the South Downs (one rifle between five of them and the rounds were kept at the vicarage, a fifteen minute cycle ride away). According to my sister when my mother discovered that she was pregnant she said to my Dad: "Oh my goodness, what will the neighbours think?"
I wasn't at all welcome but that's another bit of history.
Personally, I wouldn't take the chance until you receive professional advice.
Why not photograph the documents and print the photographs?
This would be much better than too much handling of the parchment!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Never heard of 'Master of Foretop' in the Royal Navy, what exactly did it involve.
Sounds like some position on a square rigger? šŸ¤”

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Never heard of 'Master of Foretop' in the Royal Navy, what exactly did it involve.
Sounds like some position on a square rigger? šŸ¤”
I have seen Captain of the Foretop recorded before, it would be the midshipmen (petty officer now?) In charge of the platform on the foremast from where sailors operated the sails on square rigged ships reefing etc. So he would be in charge of the sailors doing that work.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I have seen Captain of the Foretop recorded before, it would be the midshipmen (petty officer now?) In charge of the platform on the foremast from where sailors operated the sails on square rigged ships reefing etc. So he would be in charge of the sailors doing that work.
Yes, when I Googled, I also read that and, of course, in those days, Midshipman was an elevated position usually taken by younger rich or influentially connected people but 'Master' seems a much more senior position?
Perhaps, that is how it is logged in the written form? šŸ¤”

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Well I've rummaged and found one set of docs, stiff A3 size 'ish, honey coloured parchment. It probably remained unfolded for 100+ years until I found it last year. Too large and too stiff to flatten for my A4 scanner
I really need to take a more academic/disciplined approach using templates available on the Ancestry websites as suggested by ChrisL and L' Hobo because at the moment I keep getting waylaid down rabbit holes with side streets and blind allies, ending up with an hour or two of very interesting reading but miles away from my intended objective.
Last year I created a Word document with random extracts of dates, ships names, ports and interesting snippets from docs and my memory which have no order or timeline and now I can't remember their relevance, where I found them or why I recorded them.

Yes, my memory failed me; he was Captain of the Fore Top on HMS Sultan and other ships, not Master.
RN record all pages.JPG

Dozens of entries of ships served on, dates, ports, behaviour etc signed by the various captains.

RN record part sheet.JPG

Extract showing Cap'n of Fore Top. He was demoted a couple of times to Able Seaman (disciplinary) then reinstated.

RN record Capn close.JPG

Another doc from the National Archive..............

Captain Fore Top.JPG

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Just to add a face to the documents, when he retired from the Navy he became Brighton Beach Inspector supervising the team controlling the beaches, the shops under the prom, the fishermen, the fish market, pleasure boats, deck chair attendants, ice cream sellers (mostly Italians known locally as the Okey-Pokey men and said to keep their ice cream stock under their beds :unsure:).
I have his solid silver cap badge, truncheon and whistle.
2020-08-02 Henry Bolding c1920 001.JPG

2017-07-30 Henry Bolding truncheon etc 004.JPG

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Just to add a face to the documents, when he retired from the Navy he became Brighton Beach Inspector supervising the team controlling the beaches, the shops under the prom, the fishermen, the fish market, pleasure boats, deck chair attendants, ice cream sellers (mostly Italians known locally as the Okey-Pokey men and said to keep their ice cream stock under their beds :unsure:).
I have his solid silver cap badge, truncheon and whistle.
View attachment 883921

View attachment 883922
A great collection you have their, in lieu of advice from professional archivists I would suggest that if possible you store the documents flat with tracing paper between each document as they appear to be in fairly good condition and folded documents tend to fall apart if not careful. I have a photograph of my grandparents wedding in 1908 which has fallen apart, with grandma having disappeared from it through my aunt not storing it properly, you can't get the stuff back once it's gone.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Heres a link to an article about light levels in scanning it sounds like it's very unlikely to be a problem the bigger risk to any documents if getting them flat on the scanner

I suspect a single scan would be the equivalent of exposure to daylight for a pretty short time.

In their study the highest exposure was 2500 lux for 113 seconds I think. Daylight by comparison is about 10,000 lux on a clear day. A scan would then be the equivalent of exposing the document to daylight for 25 seconds. I suspect that you exposed to documents to more light taking photos if they were done under daylight than it would be to scan them.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I have been a volunteer at a museum for almost ten years and I regularly scan old documents of historic importance as part of the process of digitising and better logging their collection. (To make it easier, for example, to search for specific items.) The issue with scanning documents of historic interest in most cases isn't the light, it is the difficulty of not damaging the actual document, which is easier said than done when trying to scan large documents particularly, or when trying to scan items which have been fixed together in various ways, or which have long been folded or rolled and are therefore difficult to flatten sufficiently to get a good scan result. It's also important to avoid transferring dust or dirt from either the scanner or your own hands, and being careful where you lay the documents while preparing them to scan, or afterwards.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back