Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Have we any foragers on here?
We like to get what we can for free from the hedgerows and the sea when out and about.
Favourites so far have been mussels in Scottish lochs and mushrooms on grassland.
Fungi are always a little worrying though, with many possibilities for misidentification. Can anyone recommend a good pocket guide for edible mushrooms?
Here are some we pick that grow on our grass at home.
The first is field mushroom, the second a fairy ring mushroom, although that one is a bit ragged and past it's best!
20170605_201044.jpg
20170726_180741.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
"Mushrooms" by Roger Phillips is the one I use. It has big photographs and clear guidance on edibility but it isn't a pocket book. There is also a Collins field guide by Stefan Buczacki which looks good and is more pocket size. There is a Kindle version but I'm not sure how practical that would be for identification and a quick look inside it on the Amazon website didn't show it covers edibility. There is also another Collins guide by Paul Sterry.
Neither specifically covers the rest of Europe but I don't think that's a problem as I've found the same species there as in the UK and of course if I can't identify it that's not a problem as I won't eat it. :)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I wouldn't eat that second one, they make your thumb nails go green.:coffee:

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
In France we are encouraged to take our fungi to the local pharmacy for identification and you will probably be given a recipe as well.

Though not much use if you are on your island.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back