WiFi Security Abroad with VPN (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Does using a vpn offer protection using WiFi abroad?
Not much to be honest. Prior to letsencrypt and non ssl websites it may have been true. Not quite so much these days.

I could explain it but Tom Scott did an excellent video on it a while back. Just went and found it for you.
I HIGHLY recommend everyone watches it because he covers it exceptionally well in a very easy to understand way.

My view is. Providing you ensure that the site you are visiting uses SSL and the secure padlock is present, the VPN provides no more privacy/security.
The VPN is great for giving you a geographically preferred IP address. But not much more.

A VPN in a corporate environment is a different matter as it can be configured in conjunction with a firewall to lock stuff down.

But with end to end SSL in the browser all a hacker could get at worst would be the URLs of sites you visit and the DNS data.

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I use Express VPN use it most of the time and when away and want to watch BBC iPlayer just use the uk server.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Better to be with than without and for the cost these days they are virtually giving them away, my Surfshark Sub was Ā£50 for 2 years plus additional 3 months free which is one of the cheapest and with unlimited users so i give it to the kids to use for their streaming as well.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
ExpressVPN/Nord and the like are mostly now used by myself to evade geo restrictions, it has limited security benefit, but they are REALLY good at unlocking geo-fenced content (such as using iplayer abroad etc).

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
VPNs are also pretty good at stopping trackers built into sites and some services. I don't want targeted advertising and if I stream video I don't want to tell my ISP what it is or where from.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
VPNs are also pretty good at stopping trackers built into sites and some services
Sorry to disagree but they do nothing to the content of a connection. They merely encrypt one segment of the network (between you and the vpn).
Trackers using cookies, fingerprinting and signatures are not affected.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sorry to disagree but they do nothing to the content of a connection. They merely encrypt one segment of the network (between you and the vpn).
Trackers using cookies, fingerprinting and signatures are not affected.
interesting

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Better to be with than without and for the cost these days they are virtually giving them away, my Surfshark Sub was Ā£50 for 2 years plus additional 3 months free which is one of the cheapest and with unlimited users so i give it to the kids to use for their streaming as well.
I was with Surfshack, until I could no longer get past the BBC's iPlayer with it. :( That's when I moved to Windscribe by recommendation from a fellow Funster, who "knew his onions" on the matter. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Anybody using Surfshark for uk tv, bbc iplayer and C5 .
I hope so because itā€™s one of the cheaper options
Cheers

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
We ar
Certainly does, I use one for every connection while I'm on the road. I've found NordVPN to be the most reliable with excellent connection speeds.
We are in Tenerife at the mo. I have had Nord for a few years. It's working this trip even better than ever. Seamless.

Only disappointment is that BBC iPlayer doesn't let you download to PC anymore šŸ˜¤

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I was with Surfshack, until I could no longer get past the BBC's iPlayer with it. :( That's when I moved to Windscribe by recommendation from a fellow Funster, who "knew his onions" on the matter. ;)

Cheers,

works on iplayer for myself, never had issues with it to be honest, also gave it to my friend with their spanish sim so they can watch iplayer and itvx and again all working as it should.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
works on iplayer for myself, never had issues with it to be honest, also gave it to my friend with their spanish sim so they can watch iplayer and itvx and again all working as it should.
It did for the first couple of years I had it, then just wouldn't work on the BBC iPlayer, but fine on other catchup players. Maybe Surfshark have upped their game since back then. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Cheers,

Reactions: zac
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Wish i knew what you are all talking about.
Do all my stuff whilst away with the mobile hotspot on my phone. Back at home Ā£10 lasts forever,(Gif Gaf) overseas every 10/14 days wife tops up with Ā£10 something about a 5 mega bite.
At home i very rarely connct to LE VPN.................free no charge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back