who goes to a gym (on a regular basis)? (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
Many many years ago when I was 27 my very best pal was a gym freak... went every night,.
His wife found him on the sofa.. dead.. massive heart attack.
Connected, probably not, but it was enough for me to say gyms bad for you... never been in one since.. Good walk and gentle exercise seen me alright.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
We have a fully kitted out gym in a "garage" at the bottom of the garden ...Weights, bench, multi gym, rowing machine, bike, cross traner, punch bag..and treadmill TV etc etc its like the bloody local go fitness on there..., (I have 3 sons and they have done a good job of it)
the hardest workout for me is walking down the path to it :rofl: which dosent happen often.

I like a good long hill walk a little cycling, and the odd punch bag/aerobic session. I m loads over weight , resting heart of 60, BP is average (so Im told). I drink and eat too much, and there is always tomorrow ::bigsmile: oh I dont smoke tho.

Bad news but Ill get there one day :unsure:

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
As the old saying goes 'a bit of exercise can do you no harm'

Besides, when I shuffle off this mortal coil I want to go like my Grandfather did. Quietly and peacefully in his sleep and not screaming in abject terror like the passengers in his car did :ROFLMAO: ....... old jokes are the best!

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
i used to go regular 3 times a week till they took the machine i used to use ,,,,its not the same now no more mars bars ,crisps and coke ,just a water machine which is crap

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Went every day before work - meant I drove against the rush hour. Either swam 1-2 miles or 45 minutes gym.
Since retiring I walk dogs an hour a day (up and down hills) and gym maybe 3 times a week.
So glad I have over the years - investing in health and muscle to be paid off in the future.
My brother said "why don't you just let yourself go?' - that was a few months before he died at 63.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
i used to go regular 3 times a week till they took the machine i used to use ,,,,its not the same now no more mars bars ,crisps and coke ,just a water machine which is crap
I remember when the vending machines used to hold chocolate, crisps and fizzy drinks at gyms! I think they went the same way the tuck shop at schools went.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have a mate about same age as me who goes twice a week to the Gym,,in his car,,about 3 miles..I asked him what exercises he does.He said I walk about 6 miles on the Tread Mill,,,I said save your money and just walk there and back ..Think he enjoys the company though..BUSBY.

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
Went every day before work - meant I drove against the rush hour. Either swam 1-2 miles or 45 minutes gym.
Since retiring I walk dogs an hour a day (up and down hills) and gym maybe 3 times a week.
So glad I have over the years - investing in health and muscle to be paid off in the future.
My brother said "why don't you just let yourself go?' - that was a few months before he died at 63.
Iā€™ve been training in gyms for 43 yearsā€¦4/7 times a week.
I find my vanity a big motivation
I donā€™t want to be a typiCal Beer Barrel Bob or(Barbara).
I am training the exact same way as I did when I was younger!!! Just Not the same poundage!šŸ‹ full range of motion.
Trouble with a lot of people when join a gym ā€¦their Not honest with themselves.
Example..if someone is consuming say 5000 calories a day and burns 200 in the gymā€¦ the results will be that They will still gain weight !!!

Attachments

• 0006E2AD-897A-454E-8FA6-4C5A16132C64.jpeg
    0006E2AD-897A-454E-8FA6-4C5A16132C64.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 27
  • 9C16AD12-64D5-4D07-958D-9634BBA8530C.jpeg
    9C16AD12-64D5-4D07-958D-9634BBA8530C.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 29
Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
I have a gym at home. Nothing posh. An exercise bike and squat rack (bought from a closing gym), pull up bar, gym ball, barbell and dumbbells. Also heavy punchbag. Until recently I was doing some fairly heavy deadlifting, squatting etc. Probably stupid and contributed to the re occurrence of a hernia.
Now I use the exercise bike, and use light weights and pull ups etc. I think exercise is very important as you get older, I am 63. Weight training is particularly important as you age for many reasons. However, you have to adapt and not train like you did when you were 30. My favorite exercises are walking and cycling. It is best if you enjoy whatever exercise you do.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Son is in the Gym everyday for hours. He is entering some strong man comps this year. He is also negotiating a partnership to open their own.
He is a level 4 nutrition and private trainer also.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Used to go to the gym in my teens just for the boxing,,Never needed it when working because my job was quite manual and always had dogs to walk..Bit overweight now ever since I was first struck down with disilabating RA 28 years ago but have been walking a cycling quite a bit since retiring in 2000. Just lost half a stone,,need to loose at least one stone more..Easier to exercise when away in Spain..BUSBY.

panda

Free Member
Dec 16, 2011
notts
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1996
I'm 81 years old and have been going to what you would call a "spit and sawdust gym" with a brilliant owner who trains you and only charges 5Ā£ a session and 50Ā£ a year for membership! I've been going for 25years and Haganap
20211216_120230.jpg
20211216_120230.jpg
can confirm that up to a couple of years ago I could do full press ups. This is due to weight training and this is me now
20211217_150214.jpg

Attachments

• 20210928_124540.jpg
    20210928_124540.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
I worked very hard and had an athletic build but over the last 8 years due to illness mussels seems to be disappearing

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I'm 81 years old and have been going to what you would call a "spit and sawdust gym" with a brilliant owner who trains you and only charges 5Ā£ a session and 50Ā£ a year for membership! I've been going for 25years and Haganap View attachment 587080View attachment 587080can confirm that up to a couple of years ago I could do full press ups. This is due to weight training and this is me nowView attachment 587083
Garden looks nice too !
Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 15.07.26.png

P Bentley

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
Challenger 250
When I am on the ship I am sedentary, my job is driving the vessel from the comfort of a gert big comfy pilots chair, therefore I have to make a proper effort to get in plenty of steps a day, or else the kilos mount up.
When on board I try to get to the gym about 5 days a week mainly for brisk walking on the treadmill up hill, for about 30 to 40 mins each time, followed by 10 to 15 on the heli deck to catch some sun and proper air) I know some people like to jog or run but I hated running as kid so I am unlikely to start enjoying nowšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜Š, plus I do a few reps of light weights just to keep my muscles reminded that they will be doing building work when I get home.

Because I am offshore, (6 weeks on 6 weeks off) therefore there is no beer or other delicious distractions, so I can be strict about monitoring the calories I intake each day, and make sure they are always less than the calories I eat.
Much more difficult at home but then again I am way more active when at home working on the three renovation projects underway.

I have no doubt that many people who spend money on a gym membership and visit now and then would be far better off keeping the money in their pocket and walking the few miles to the gym and then back each.
That said I know some people love it as a hobby and good luck to them.

When you eliminate all the quackery, fad diets, and bogus claims about how much you can lose so quickly (just send me some money and I will tell you) it boils down to the basics "Eat less and move more" you don't have to join a gym to do that but you do need to actually "do it' as part of your life in order for it to work.
That much I know

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I will be 70 this year. I used to go to a David Lloyd Club. Tried the gym there but got bored. Played loads of tennis and badminton instead. More recently, I used to do a Zumba class and 2 dance classes every week. I thought I was reasonably fit, until Covid complications brought breathing difficulties, and heart problems. In mid-2020 I couldn't go upstairs without stopping for breath, pulse racing then almost stopping, arrythmias, chest pain; worryingly, a real low point. I could only walk a short distance without pain. How to rehabilitate myself was a challenge. Without NHS help or a personal trainer.

I tried using Zumba Gold DVDs (from the USA) which are aimed at the over-50s. At first I could only manage the 8 minute warm-up Cardio exercise, and cool down stretches. Bit by bit I added a dance exercise module. 1, then 2, until all 8 modules plus warm up and cool down, so I could do the whole DVD, which is 40 minutes of moderate exercise. I added the Zumba Gold Toning DVD sessions to my programme. Toning exercises slowly rebuilds muscle mass, using small weights with dance routines. Again, adding a module and slowly building up to complete the whole 40 minute programme. Also, gradually heavier dumbells, not overdoing it, while monitoring the cardio stuff with a pulse oximeter and setting a personal limit to avoid chest pains and maintaining a good oxygen level.

I have added the Duxette's Jane Fonda Prime Time (again for over-50s) DVDs to the mix. It's for variety, and actually JF is rather good for us oldies. Now graduated to her Level 2 programmes which are more intense. Believe me, this is hard-won progress bearing in mind the terrible state I found myself in about 22 months ago.

Each week I push myself to complete 3 or 4 exercise sessions each lasting 40 minutes. I don't know if it is possible to get back to my pre-Covid fitness level. Meanwhile, I am slowly improving and feel so much better. The chest pains and arrythmias haven't gone but are diminishing. Stairs are no longer a problem. I can walk a couple of miles once more. I might even be able to run to catch a bus if I need to. I've got an exercise bike that needs fixing. Eventually that will be added to my weekly routine.

We are going to weekly Jive classes again. I can cope with freestyle dance events too. Onwards and upwards! :dance2:

Doing things gradually and not too much too soon is the way to go at our age.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
When I am on the ship I am sedentary, my job is driving the vessel from the comfort of a gert big comfy pilots chair, therefore I have to make a proper effort to get in plenty of steps a day, or else the kilos mount up.
When on board I try to get to the gym about 5 days a week mainly for brisk walking on the treadmill up hill, for about 30 to 40 mins each time, followed by 10 to 15 on the heli deck to catch some sun and proper air) I know some people like to jog or run but I hated running as kid so I am unlikely to start enjoying nowšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜Š, plus I do a few reps of light weights just to keep my muscles reminded that they will be doing building work when I get home.

Because I am offshore, (6 weeks on 6 weeks off) therefore there is no beer or other delicious distractions, so I can be strict about monitoring the calories I intake each day, and make sure they are always less than the calories I eat.
Much more difficult at home but then again I am way more active when at home working on the three renovation projects underway.

I have no doubt that many people who spend money on a gym membership and visit now and then would be far better off keeping the money in their pocket and walking the few miles to the gym and then back each.

When you eliminate all the quackery, fad diets, and bogus claims about how much you can lose so quickly (just send me some money and I will tell you) it boils down to the basics "Eat less and move more" you don't have to join a gym to do that but you do need to actually "do it' as part of your life in order for it to work.
That much I know
May I ask what you Captain/Pilot?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

That much I know
I didn't know they had helipad etc on The Woolwich Ferry, šŸ˜ƒšŸ˜ƒšŸ˜ƒ..BUSBY..

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
I'm 81 years old and have been going to what you would call a "spit and sawdust gym" with a brilliant owner who trains you and only charges 5Ā£ a session and 50Ā£ a year for membership! I've been going for 25years and Haganap View attachment 587080View attachment 587080can confirm that up to a couple of years ago I could do full press ups. This is due to weight training and this is me nowView attachment 587083
Youā€™ve got it
Bloody flaunt itšŸ‹ļøšŸ‹ļø

P Bentley

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
Challenger 250
May I ask what you Captain/Pilot
I am the Senior Dynamic Positioning Officer / Chief Officer of a 26,000 grt Construction, Dive, Heavy Lift ROV & Pipe Laying vessel.
Length 140 long Beam 40 meters with a usual working draft of 6 meters (although we can work lighter or deeper depending on water depth below keel.) .
We lay what's known as "rigid pipe" (it is welded together on board as we move along) from 6" to 42" diameter in up to 350 meters of water.
Our main crane lifts 2300 ton, (the other two are 75 ton)
We have a 9 man saturation dive system, and work class ROV
When fully mobbed up we carry about 320 although we have accommodation for 350.
We have 6 azimuth thrusters (configured 3 fwd 3 aft) and develop 24,000 HP via 6 diesel main engine / generators.
Our average fuel consumption when in construction mode is about 20 to 25 tons a day, although when engaged in pipe lay with the bigger pipes that can be 50+ tons a day.
We are barge shaped, as opposed to ship shaped, which means because of the thruster configuration, we can maintain a footprint of about 20 cms in weather conditions up to 2 meter seas and 25 knts of wind .
In 3 meter seas and winds above 30 our foot print would be closer to 75cms to 1 meter.
In even larger seas and stronger winds we have exceptional position keeping abilities.

I have been the SDPO on the vessel for several years and have worked all over Asia (Papua New Guinea, Bali, Indonesia, Borneo Malaysia Timor, Thailand, Vietnam, South Korea, Singapore, China etc etc) and we are currently working in the Saudi sector of the Arabian Gulf (formerly known as the Persian Gulf) on a jacket/ installation program with associated control umbilicals, associated subsea infrastructure and pipelines.
I normally work 6 weeks on then have 6 weeks off.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
My Wife does loads of training - Triathlons being her sport of choice and she really enjoys keeping fit.....

So we decided to utilise our underused garden extension as an indoor gym a couple of years back.

I use the Nordictrack treadmill all the time - sometimes the Wattbike Atom, which is a great bit of kit and we are currently storing our Daughters Peloton bike for her too - but never use that

Gear is expensive to start off with, but no Gym fees to put up with and only a Zwift subscription to pay...... I know I'd never get round to finding time to get to the Gym regularly, but have no excuse to not use our stuff at home. Keeping fit has gone from being a real chore to an enjoyable part of the day šŸ‘

View attachment 586901

I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic just before my 50th birthday with the Doc saying it was pretty inevitable that I would become fully diabetic within 3 to 5 years unless I made some changes - sedentiary lifestyle & job coupled with smoking and too many carbs in the diet.

At just under 60, I'm now almost back to the normal levels vs the diabetes scoring (get tested once a year). Am 2 1/2 stone lighter than I was at 50, blood pressure now around 122/ 80 vs 135/95 (as it was), haven't smoked for 9 years and drink about a third of what I used to. The savings from smoking alone account for approx Ā£22k over 9 years :oops: so hence I really don't mind spending some of the money saved on good equipment to help keep fit (not that the equipment cost anywhere near 22K though, no idea where the balance went? :ROFLMAO:).
How do you find the Wattbike as weā€™re thinking of purchasing one for next winter, weā€™ve been using the Pro one at the gym and really like it.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I am the Senior Dynamic Positioning Officer / Chief Officer of a 26,000 grt Construction, Dive, Heavy Lift ROV & Pipe Laying vessel.
Length 140 long Beam 40 meters with a usual working draft of 6 meters (although we can work lighter or deeper depending on water depth below keel.) .
We lay what's known as "rigid pipe" (it is welded together on board as we move along) from 6" to 42" diameter in up to 350 meters of water.
Our main crane lifts 2300 ton, (the other two are 75 ton)
We have a 9 man saturation dive system, and work class ROV
When fully mobbed up we carry about 320 although we have accommodation for 350.
We have 6 azimuth thrusters (configured 3 fwd 3 aft) and develop 24,000 HP via 6 diesel main engine / generators.
Our average fuel consumption when in construction mode is about 20 to 25 tons a day, although when engaged in pipe lay with the bigger pipes that can be 50+ tons a day.
We are barge shaped, as opposed to ship shaped, which means because of the thruster configuration, we can maintain a footprint of about 20 cms in weather conditions up to 2 meter seas and 25 knts of wind .
In 3 meter seas and winds above 30 our foot print would be closer to 75cms to 1 meter.
In even larger seas and stronger winds we have exceptional position keeping abilities.

I have been the SDPO on the vessel for several years and have worked all over Asia (Papua New Guinea, Bali, Indonesia, Borneo Malaysia Timor, Thailand, Vietnam, South Korea, Singapore, China etc etc) and we are currently working in the Saudi sector of the Arabian Gulf (formerly known as the Persian Gulf) on a jacket/ installation program with associated control umbilicals, associated subsea infrastructure and pipelines.
I normally work 6 weeks on then have 6 weeks off.
Fascinating

Thank You

panda

Free Member
Dec 16, 2011
notts
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1996
Anne panda I am jealous. :(

X
Hi Joy,I only put this post on to say that if I hadn't been so fit I wouldn't have got over a T.I.A. and 3 operations in 3 months for breast cancer as well as I did and even though I'm diabetic with high blood pressure I still believe in keeping as active as possible. Can't wait to have a dance with you again(as long as my sciatica lets mešŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
How do you find the Wattbike as weā€™re thinking of purchasing one for next winter, weā€™ve been using the Pro one at the gym and really like it.
The one we have is the Wattbike Atom - it's a fab bit of kit, there are loads of free training programs on the Wattbike app which will cause you no end of suffering ;) :LOL:....... but it really comes into it's own if you pair it with something like Zwift for longer rides.

We were a bit wary when we bought it due to the initial cost, but it's honestly worth it if you want a really well made fitness bike that's easy to adjust to each user and operate.

Just a heads up, if the one you use at the gym is the Probike version, just check the Atom will match the type of training you've done as they are a little different.

Have to admit I use the treadmill a little more myself at the moment, but my Wife swears by the Wattbike Atom. I'll go back to using the Atom more as the weather improves to build my fitness a bit for road cycling

Atom Vs Pro
AtomNGFrontTP_1_1_5000x.pngwattbike-pro-trainer-full-1-1.jpg

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Home set up here. Spin bike for winter training, core training, weights for squats and then yoga for flexibility.

Only in the winter for me though, i need oxygen and to be able to see the sky to enjoy it all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back