0DF22691-6290-43A7-84D2-302D1C412575.jpeg

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We spent last night (& tonight) in an aire/overnight stop in Roses at the top of Costa brava - with about 60 other vans & we are the only UK vehicle here. We only saw a handful going through France last week as well.
Where are you all?
It's our first trip to Europe btw but at least the sun has finally come out now 🌞

cheers Chris
Just heading back now after 6weeks away.
Parked at Zaragoza Aire must be 10 🇬🇧 vans today.
I want to know who has been posting motorhome fun stickers around the Aire since we called in on the way down.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Now on Camping Rodas in Roses ( the aire had a queue waiting!). A handful of Brit vans but otherwise we have seen very few over the past four weeks. Lots of Dutch and German vans though.

Monkeynuts2215

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 6, 2020
Ashford Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 600
Exp
We spent last night (& tonight) in an aire/overnight stop in Roses at the top of Costa brava - with about 60 other vans & we are the only UK vehicle here. We only saw a handful going through France last week as well.
Where are you all?
It's our first trip to Europe btw but at least the sun has finally come out now 🌞

cheers Chris
We have not pluck up the courage to go abbroad yet,as we are not experienced enough and have a Cockapoo. Hopefully one day we will get there as we really would loved to do it.

Sep 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T494
Exp
4 weeks!
We have been in Spain since 18/04/24. Heading down the coast from Alicante. Mostly German vans, we do see the odd British van but not many. There was loads on the Ferry to Santander so they must be about somewhere!
We too have been in Spain since 18/04/24. Been tom Benidorm, Alicante, El Raso, We camp Cabo December Gata. Heading to Granada next few days.

Aug 19, 2015
Windermere
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
15 years
We too are home for the summer. In fact don’t understand touring Europe during our only chance of decent weather! Back to Spain in Jan. also - probably Nerja as we do love it there despite not very motorhome friendly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
It’s true that there are less Brit registered campers out and about on the continent these days. I’ve been doing this 30 years and I’d say the peak in terms of Brits seen on the continent was the mid 2010s. €1.50 to the £,
a relatively buoyant, strong economy and of course easier travel.

I’d venture it’s a mixture of the reduced value of the £, the ever struggling UK economy which seems to be hitting the brit middle classes quite hard, inflation driving up the cost of fuel, crossings, insurance and the additional costs and restrictions for travellers as a result of you know what which has somewhat compounded all the above and added more costs (ie insurance, AHC, etc).

It started about the time of the 2008 financial crisis and hasn’t ever really got back to where it was.

Fact is we all have a bit less cash these days and our money is both less valuable and just doesn’t go as far as it used to, especially if we are on a fixed income. When this happens one of the first things that gets cut back on are hols and travel.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In our villa after yet another horrible flight full of drunken louts and trash
It's that dodgy airport you fly from:LOL:
this ^ we only have a very small black oval one that fits near the letters on the rear of ours.

View attachment 893762
Which isn't legal as it doesn't comply with the colour & homologation requirements for 'country code' stickers
We have not pluck up the courage to go abbroad yet,as we are not experienced enough and have a Cockapoo. Hopefully one day we will get there as we really would loved to do it.

Get yourselves over.Dog needs an ahc but that can be done for about 99 pounds at the one many use in Folkstone(?) well worth it as the traveling is far easier & relaxed than in the UK.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
It's that dodgy airport you fly from:LOL:

Which isn't legal as it doesn't comply with the colour & homologation requirements for 'country code' stickers

Get yourselves over.Dog needs an ahc but that can be done for about 99 pounds at the one many use in Folkstone(?) well worth it as the traveling is far easier & relaxed than in the UK.
Totally agree. That and Alicante is a big destination for stags & hens.

2 1/2 hours of loud mouth effing, ceeing, teeing, yobs.

Groups of idiots.

Oddly, one group went from a young lad, to his grandad. It was the young lad who shouted to the group to calm down and have some respect.

Had I been with our grandchildren, I would have had to have said something myself.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
That first time can be quite daunting. But with a bit of planning and prep it’s all very doable and quite safe. We too have a Cockapoo. He’s loving the van life.

IMG_2822.jpeg

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
We are spending our money in good old blighty
Brits voted for Brexit
and we have never been really been welcome across since
(because they were not allowed a referendum themselves)
We have been made most welcome in France and Spain x

Apr 4, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum GT 185
Exp
August 2020
We're currently in Italy (Orvieto) heading to Rome today. Came down via Germany and Switzerland. Saw a few Brits around Lake Garda but apart from that, hardly any on the road or in stopovers/campsites. It was the same last year when we toured the Peloponnese.
Same situation here along the West coast of France. Been here nearly three weeks travelling Dow to La Rochelle and gradually heading back north. Probably seen less than half a dozen British number plates.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We've been in France for just over 3 weeks and had 1 conversation with a British couple on the aire at Sarlat. Other than that seen maybe 3 or 4 British vans on the move.
After posting the above, this morning we pulled onto the municipal site at Metz and on the next pitch was a British van, we had a chat with them but they were getting ready to move on.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Why is it I get the feeling that British people have a dislike for other British people..??
We are a great nation, like all nations we do have faults, but the commenting is becoming tiresome….If you loath the U.K. so much you can move away if you like…??
Has anyone on here said they loathe the UK? I thought we were just debating the lack of British mohos on the Continent :unsure:

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I think there are a few things that put Brits of going to Europe. That bit of water is getting more and more expensive to get across, the Europeans are already saving £300-£500 a trip compared to us. We've always had the hassle of the port/tunnel procedure, now a bit worse with the passport stamping malarky. I know a few folk who are genuinely scared of driving on the other side of the road, so that can be an issue. The value of the £/€ is not what it was and like UK, prices have risen in Europe making it less attractive. So adding all that up could be some of the reasons? Who knows.

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Might it have something to do with the churlish way the French (and others) are refusing to row back on the stupid post Brexit pet passport rules? Adding something like £300 and quite a bit of inconvenience to just one trip is a major consideration.
You are forgetting that the UK government were offered the opportunity to negotiate lots of things like this but chose not to do so. We Brits were party to making all these rules when we were members of the club. The “Get Brexit Done” brigade decided to make as acrimonious a split as possible and you are now suffering for what was voted for. People like touring musicians lost out badly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back