What to take to Norway (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2022
Somerset UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2016
We are planning our 1st trip to Norway in July, August , September and debating what we need to take with us. We are planning to go as far north as the Lofoton Islands. Any advice on whether we need winter or summer duvets, more UK winter clothes or summer clothes and what food stuffs are very expensive to buy locally and best taken from the UK would be much appreciated.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Had +6 degrees C in Norway in June.........dropping to +3 overnight, so winter woolies, duvets and hot water bottle......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We found it easiest to say we are teetotal at the start of the trip, to ourselves as much as anyone else. That meant we didn’t miss having a glass of wine or beer, more just automatically accepted that we drank water in Norway. This was on the Hurtigruten ship and on travels by car and hotels. We did take own travel kettle and tea though.
This recent video from Life’s too Short might be of interest.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Booze lots of it.🤣
Yep.....
Shirl had to pay £17 for a bottle of wine costing just £5 here.
The hotel bar price was nearly £30.
No idea where I heard it but Norway has the highest ratio of alcoholics by population that any other country.
At those prices I find that hard to believe.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
We went last year but returned home before the end of August. It was definitely already cool at night. If I can make a big recommendation it is that you also spend a few days on Senja, north of the Lofotens. The most stunning parking place of our whole holiday was on this island.

We took gin but should have taken more tonic as that was very expensive too, so we ended up rationing the tonic more than the gin! We didn't eat out much, apart from our wedding anniversary at a restaurant (Hildur's Uretarium near Bronnoysund) which offered a tasting menu and allowed overnight parking. Wonderful meal.

One point to make is that you will probably find that August is already low season in many places, so opening hours may be limited. Our meal at that restaurant (19th August) was on one of the last nights they were open for personal bookings. After that, it was groups only. Some ferry routes operate only on a summer basis as well.

We stocked up on quite a lot of stuff in Germany to fill the freezer. Having said that, I didn't feel food prices were as bad as people suggested, perhaps because we'd already had quite a lot of inflation by last summer (and more since).

If we went again, I'd probably buy and take a spare cassette for the loo, as we don't use sites - we paid to park for only one night in the whole holiday. Places to empty the loo are few and far between in some areas. We always managed but on one occasion ended up having to use an already blocked facility that was nearly overflowing, simply because there was nowhere else anywhere near our route that day. Again, if you don't plan on using sites, laundry is not easy to do, so take extras or be prepared to do a bit of hand washing. We did one lot of laundry, on a very wet day, at a supermarket which had a machine, but we had to wait for hours while a French couple did their washing. If the weather had been better, I'd have been annoyed, but sightseeing was off the agenda that day anyway.

Apologies if you already know all this:

Someone above mentioned the ferry 'pass' but you will also find that an arrangement to pay for toll roads helps too, along with the appropriate 'tag' for the windscreen. The two things are different (or were last year). I suspect the situation changes nearly every year, as some of the advice from previous travellers was no longer relevant to us, so my experience in 2022 might be outdated for this year.

For the ferries you set up an account and pre-load it with a certain amount of credit. The chap on the ferry then scans your numberplate and the appropriate sum is deducted from your balance. We were also provided with a card but never had to use that. The rate you get is discounted and if you have no account, you will pay as you go at a much higher rate. We were never overcharged and on two occasions were charged at car length (our van is 7.4m). Some ferries are free.

Toll roads and tunnels can be difficult to avoid, in fact it's sometimes not obvious you have entered a toll stretch. With a tag and an 'agreement', you should pay at the car rate (I think). The provider sends you a bill after the event, which you will have to pay in kroner. One bill was waiting at home for our return and another followed a month or two later, but other providers may vary. I believe that, if you don't have a tag/agreement, numberplate recognition is in use and they will charge you via one of those debt collection agencies used by parking firms. Because we were primarily off the main roads, we did avoid most tolls but had to pay for a short stretch of the E6, plus some tunnels.

We use Revolut while travelling and it worked fine in Norway. What it didn't work for was the pre-payment of the ferry account. It failed twice, with slightly different variations on the payment account details, so I ended up having to use the poor rate offered by NatWest for a transfer. I think it was OK for the toll road bill but it might not have been. We didn't really need cash and finding an ATM was a challenge, but I did get some eventually. We didn't bother with either Swedish or Danish currency.

All routes to Norway cost money in ferries and/or bridges, too. Having limited time, we went via the Puttgarden/Rodby ferry and the bridge to Malmo, then motored up through Sweden to save time, entering Norway on the E10 about level with the Lofotens. This crossing point is unmanned or was last year, perhaps handy if you have the odd extra bottle of booze. Sweden only has a couple of toll roads, which are easily avoided, and we bought a discounted combination ticket for ferry/bridge, but some of the tags can also be used to get a slightly higher discount on the bridge. We came back via a ferry from Langesund in Norway to Denmark. Other ferries are available, of course.

Tony

Jul 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Perpetual newbie
Out of the two, I'd recommend money, importing regulations are quite strict and allowances are kept low to discourage smuggling and encourage people to just bite the bullet and buy local (and seriously taxed) drinks at the Vinmonpolet. And yes, they do check, we've been stopped on several occasions.

You can check your allowance here, and to avoid disappointment - it's not a whole lot https://www.toll.no/en/goods/alcohol-and-tobacco/

Nov 1, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter
Exp
Since 2013
Check out Campervibe on Youtube; they did a Norway 3 month trip last year. They have also done a Vlog on cost - the Norway trip v a UK trip. Lots of useful info, and they do a great job on their channel 🙂

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
One plus at the moment is the value of the Norwegian Kroner against sterling, much better than the Danish exchange rate.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yep.....
Shirl had to pay £17 for a bottle of wine costing just £5 here.
The hotel bar price was nearly £30.
No idea where I heard it but Norway has the highest ratio of alcoholics by population that any other country.
At those prices I find that hard to believe.
Two Norwegians in a bar, one says to the other:

"Would you like another drink?"

The reply:

"I'm here to drink not talk."

Told to me by a Norwegian friend.
:imoutahere:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've had a few trips to Norway. Check out my threads in my signature and ask any questions.

OP
OP
OutTheOffice
Apr 11, 2022
Somerset UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you ll for some very helpful comments. One comment did slightly concern me, I was not planning on taking snow chains for the van. Is the consensus that this is necessary? Thank you

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
We are planning our 1st trip to Norway in July, August , September and debating what we need to take with us. We are planning to go as far north as the Lofoton Islands. Any advice on whether we need winter or summer duvets, more UK winter clothes or summer clothes and what food stuffs are very expensive to buy locally and best taken from the UK would be much appreciated.
Check what food you can take as big fines if caught

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I was told by Norwegian neighbours to learn how to make bread and take up fishing for our first trip to Northern Norway....The bread was a success...🤔😂😂😂

May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
We're going late April to Early July, around 70 days in Norway.
Lots of useful information on this thread, thanks, you can take up to 10kg food bought in the EU - dairy, meat, anything.
I'm off to read all the links etc mentioned above :)

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
We went 2yrs ago may, June, July. You can look at our vids on yt wend yet way or here via Norway trip. If you like.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I sat and watched this wonderfully made travel documentary on the big screen TV last week. They covered over 14,000kms in 10 weeks from July to September taking 22 ferries and negotiating 557 tunnels. They really cover many areas off the beaten track. I was surprised to see frozen lakes so late in the summer. It's had 10 million views in 18 months which speaks for itself. Grab a beer and enjoy (y)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I sat and watched this wonderfully made travel documentary on the big screen TV last week. They covered over 14,000kms in 10 weeks from July to September taking 22 ferries and negotiating 557 tunnels. They really cover many areas off the beaten track. I was surprised to see frozen lakes so late in the summer. It's had 10 million views in 18 months which speaks for itself. Grab a beer and enjoy (y)

Thanks for that 🥰 added t our watch list for our planned trip this summer.

We‘re going there as it‘s a cheap holiday vs staying in Switzerland 😂 actually it‘s probably the only place we can go in the van that is actually more expensive than where we live but not by much so some how the costs shouldn‘t be too bad for us although no cheap Italian pizza dinners.

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Don't forget that if you intend travelling with a pet it will need the required treatment prior to entry i.e. Worming between 120 and 24 hours before travelling.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I think the suggestions given are correct. Worth the visit for the experience . Had a 2 year posting there and no wish to go back. Just mind-blowingly dull to live there. I have met several expats who have set up businesses overseas and they would agree. Visitors probably come away with a different view! Not particularly helpful I know but just my experience.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Take a multi option cabinet key, I found it essential in some places where there was no handle on the taps.

1711577767593.png

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Don't forget that if you intend travelling with a pet it will need the required treatment prior to entry i.e. Worming between 120 and 24 hours before travelling.
Not for cats just dogs and ferrets.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

Watched it last night, wow very nice and super amazing quality of filming. Really nice story and well told, and finally very informative regarding Norway👍🏻

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

So in fact copy paste of UK entry then ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back