What is going on with DVLA? (7 Viewers)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
My licence renewal application has been with those useless idiots since the first week of January. How long are these taking at the moment? Anyone any idea? It's a C1 renewal. I sent them a letter from a consultant with additional information. They gave me an email address to get it there as quickly as possible, then said "it takes 10 days to scan it into our system"....... Could they be any more useless?

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Whilst frustrating if I worked for the DVLA and was trying my best to deal with a large number of enquiries every day with large staff shortages and saw all the negative comments it would not inspire me to try harder
Why not direct concerns to either your local MP or better still do what I did last time after 11 months and write to the Minister for Transport. Direct complaints to the bosses not the orders.

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Well, they're new if it's the first time it's happened to you..... And post #14 refers to a D licence not a C1. I shouldn't have to write off a year's European trips to allow for 9 months to renew a licence.
My point was, that a class 2 vocational license (C or D) for a working driver taking 9 months, means our C1 non vocational is less of a priority.

Yes I do sympathise with you, but DVLA is chronically understaffed, and those driving for a living need to take preference.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
My point was, that a class 2 vocational license (C or D) for a working driver taking 9 months, means our C1 non vocational is less of a priority.

Yes I do sympathise with you, but DVLA is chronically understaffed, and those driving for a living need to take preference.
Agree. But how long would the "vocational" licences take if they weren't receiving preferential treatment, if that is what is happening. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Whilst frustrating if I worked for the DVLA and was trying my best to deal with a large number of enquiries every day with large staff shortages and saw all the negative comments it would not inspire me to try harder
Why not direct concerns to either your local MP or better still do what I did last time after 11 months and write to the Minister for Transport. Direct complaints to the bosses not the orders.
Not sure how the comments can be anything other than negative.... And I'd like to think they would try harder without needing inspiration. It's too late now for my MP to do anything. My holiday is lost, short of a miracle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Given what’s been said earlier re Twitter/X (or whatever it’s called this week), maybe a link to this post should be put up there for all to see. Clearly, the system, as it currently stands, is failing a lot of people.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Given what’s been said earlier re Twitter/X (or whatever it’s called this week), maybe a link to this post should be put up there for all to see. Clearly, the system, as it currently stands, is failing a lot of people.
Not sure about publicising individual cases via a link to this thread. Could backfire on individual applicants. But a general airing of the subject might help.

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
But as post #14 shows this has been going on for a very long time.

The remedy would be to employ more staff at DVLA, but who's going to pay for it ?

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
But as post #14 shows this has been going on for a very long time.

The remedy would be to employ more staff at DVLA, but who's going to pay for it ?
If more DVLA employees would fix the problem then, obviously, the taxpayer would have to pay.
However, I do wonder whether a more efficient process may have a big part to play? Since the long delays seem mainly to be associated with those cases involving medical issues, perhaps this part of the process needs to be reviewed and streamlined? Just my opinion, though. 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
If more DVLA employees would fix the problem then, obviously, the taxpayer would have to pay.
However, I do wonder whether a more efficient process may have a big part to play? Since the long delays seem mainly to be associated with those cases involving medical issues, perhaps this part of the process needs to be reviewed and streamlined? Just my opinion, though. 👍
How would you streamline the process ?

Investigations need to be carried out, I've seen over cautiousness by DVLA revoke a license, only to reinstate it 3 years later, with no change in condition.

And we've all seen what can happen when a driver lied to his GP - Glasgow bin lorry.

I know delay is frustrating, but at least we (oldies) have C1 till 70 without medicals, EU it's a test for C1 end of and medicals every 5 years.

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
How would you streamline the process ?

Investigations need to be carried out, I've seen over cautiousness by DVLA revoke a license, only to reinstate it 3 years later, with no change in condition.

And we've all seen what can happen when a driver lied to his GP - Glasgow bin lorry.

I know delay is frustrating, but at least we (oldies) have C1 till 70 without medicals, EU it's a test for C1 end of and medicals every 5 years.
It’s impossible to say how to streamline the process without having in-depth knowledge of what the current process is - and since I don’t have this, I’m not in a position to comment specifically on that. However, where an application has to be passed to the DVLA medical assessment team, then the evidence of many people’s experiences on here, would suggest that the process could be much better. There’s got to be reasons for the long delays being experienced. So, investigating that aspect would be a good starting point. It may be due to a lack of staff, as you suggested, but it may also be that the current process isn’t fit for purpose - or, indeed, a combination of both. Again, just my opinion, though.

I completely agree that medical investigations need to be carried out, but the required C1 retention medical assessment form (D4 in my case, since I’m over 70) is very detailed and comprehensive and needs to be completed by a qualified doctor. In addition, the DVLA can, and do sometimes, ask for permission to contact one’s GP for further details and/or clarification as regards one’s medical history. So the process seems to be robust and thorough, and I’ve got no complaints about that side of it at all. But why does it all take so long?

My license was due for renewal towards the end of April 2022, and I have a couple of medical conditions which had to be taken into account. I applied within the 3 months early application process towards the end of February 2022. I eventually received my new license in the middle of November 2022 - almost 9 months after the DVLA received my application. At the time I thought that the delay was probably due to Covid pressures on the system, but long delays still seem to be happening to people.

As an interesting aside, as part of my application package, I sent a cheque for £17 which I later discovered was not required. This was cashed by the DVLA within 3 weeks. (So I knew that they had at least opened my application letter.)
In due course (on the 17th November from memory), I received 2 separate letters from the DVLA - one stating “Your license application has been successful and you will receive your new license within the next few days.” The second letter contained a cheque for £17.
Another 2 letters arrived the following day. One contained my new license. The other stated that, in order to fully assess my medical conditions, the DVLA would be contacting my GP.
Right hand? Left hand? 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
John was trying to get his licence back after sending every bit of medical stuff they wanted. I scouted around the website and saw that they have non-exec directors and emailed the chairperson. She replied straight away and said she'd asked someone to look in to it. I hadn't heard anything in a week and wrote again. Got a very harried email of someone who was dealing with it and a couple of days later he got his licence back.
Worth trying . Non-execs in my experience are public minded and really want things to work well. They like to be found by a member of the public and asked for help. It gives them a reason for their existence!

Upvote 0
Jan 15, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
I’m in the same boat mines been with dvla since November 23 for a C1
My license ran out January so been driving on section 88. But my insurance ran out April 24 now insurance will not renew as they say I don’t have a valid license.
Phoned dvla told them the problem of insurance and taxing van they could not give a monkey’s . Now put complaint in and contacted MP for help as I have a van value of about £30000 not insured or taxed
What can we do now
Update. Just received my license back from the dvla 6 months after sending in renewal medical forms . Received a three year non medical license back.
Finally convinced the dvla I have all my marbles

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back