What’s the cutoff point to refuse a motorhome (4 Viewers)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The list of issues we had when returning from our 7 months winter trip to europe was quite frankly growing weekly, on the very last day in France before boarding the tunnel the bloody habitation step broke.
I hope you haven't told them you used it continuously for 7 months ... some manufacturers like to use that to squirm out of sorting stuff (Swift being one I believe).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I hope you haven't told them you used it continuously for 7 months ... some manufacturers like to use that to squirm out of sorting stuff (Swift being one I believe).

We had a christmas break so no issues with continuous “over using”
How the bloody hell can you over use a motorhome, it’s bullsh!t

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Oooh no, once they sell you them, they want you to px them in 3-5 years with 3k on them, god forbid you use it!!
I agree Al it’s utter ‘ollox! You should be able to live in the things and still get summat done if it packs up for the money they cost🤬🤬

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think you will find with a lot of Brit vans they consider trips of more than 3 or 4 weeks excessive and it voids the warranty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It’s a bloody dam shame as we get on great, their setup is brilliant offering free overnight stays, with pool, showers, toilets. They put 3 entertainment weekends on all free to attend with some fantastic entertainment, the last one was superb.

Must be that dealer in Newark who have gone bust a couple of times and had a terrible reputation when they were Hymer dealers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Must be that dealer in Newark who have gone bust a couple of times and had a terrible reputation when they were Hymer dealers.

i’m not defending them when I say do you know a good Hymer dealer, cos I don’t, they’re all the bloody same once they’ve got your money

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
This may not apply to you but if you have any outstanding finance on the motorhome it could be worth talking to the finance company as they retain an interest in the vehicle until the loan is fully paid off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Sounds pretty shite mate! ☹️

Be clear on the outcome you want and then focus on a clear set of steps you want them to complete to achieve the outcome you are after.

People and companies get confused with large lists of problems. It seems you want it fixing so break it into bite size chunks for them. What’s the first thing you need doing and by when? Clearly tell them and get it done, then move onto the next.

Get them eating the elephant in bite size chunks. 👍🏻

Or go nuclear… 🤪
That’s exactly what i’ve told them to do, the Alde boiler had been faulty from day 1 so i’ve told them to make that no.1 priority

2nd job.The front motorised blind needs to function properly so I can see out if the windscreen to allow me to drive safely followed by 3rd job being the habitation step. We are both in our 70’s so having a step is paramount to us.

The TV lift is the last of the big jobs so can be done 4th

All the rest can be done as and when they get the parts needed to get them sorted but September quite frankly is too long a reasonable period to wait imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
This may not apply to you but if you have any outstanding finance on the motorhome it could be worth talking to the finance company as they retain an interest in the vehicle until the loan is fully paid off.

No i’ve never had finance i’m a pay in full bloke but have heard that before about finance companies taking an interest

Upvote 0

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
I have to say that if the dealer offers over night stays and all that entertainment and stays, why aren't you staying there in the van

Air bnb the house, then just use the car to transfer from the van anywhere

I'm sure they will get bored of you using their kindness 🤣 and generosity

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I have to say that if the dealer offers over night stays and all that entertainment and stays why aren't you staying the in the van

Air bnb the house and then just use the car to transfer from the van

I'm sure they will get bored of you using their kindness 🤣

No heating hot water or showers
would you lol

tbh we nearly went friday for a couple of nights but had other things going off this weekend

They’ve no issue with us staying there or even us taking it away, after all it’s our motorhome but if we were to continue doing it i’m fearful of everything taken longer than it already is

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
My personal opinion, FWIW. Email CEO follow up with a letter recorded and signed for to same person. Explain briefly the sage of events in chronological order Explain that you believe his aftersales department has let you down and is not fit for purpose. Highlight the fact that you purchased the goods from them and NOT Alde, Dometic or Thule etc. and faults have been recorded from day one. Give them a time limit to resolve the problems (whatever timescale you would find acceptable). Tell him or her that you expect a detailed agenda for rectification work along with an offer of compensation for loss of use, inconvenience and stress and that you expect to hear from him/her within say 14 days. Tell him/her that should you not hear within the timeframe you have asked for that you will in future only communicate through the legal system. You could give them the name and address of your solicitor in the same letter.
Do you per chance have any legal cover with your van insurance or your house insurance?
I would add that I have had dealings with them and they said " we cannot do that you will have to wait for the director to return"
I politely told them that I would not leave and may park my car in a different location!
After a couple of hours they capitulated and I walked out with my cheque.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Maybe email the CEO of Alde too👍

Alde have been great, they told me that the return kit hadn’t been ordered, they told me as soon as it was it would be sent the same day which it was, the dealer took 3 weeks to order the kit.

Alde also told me the boiler would be rebuilt with the new 3030 one which it was and returned within 5 days which it also was so i’ve no beef with Alde at all 😉

Upvote 0
Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
There’s a woman in USA called Susan brilliant or something (sure it’s not that)only watched her on U Tube once. but she tells of all the issues big RVs have and seems to have a big following and a bit of sway. We need one of her.
The OP said he had issues from day 1!
Why take it? N if you did, drop it off next week with the keys. No wonder they treat people like muck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
There’s a woman in USA called Susan brilliant or something (sure it’s not that)only watched her on U Tube once. but she tells of all the issues big RVs have and seems to have a big following and a bit of sway. We need one of her.
The OP said he had issues from day 1!
Why take it? N if you did, drop it off next week with the keys. No wonder they treat people like muck.

We didn’t know the boiler had an issue on day 1 just that it needed the expansion tank topping up.

We love the moho so why would we not want to keep it. I’m not one for demanding or laying the law down but I am getting stretched a bit a lately

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I’m not one for demanding or laying the law down but I am getting stretched a bit a lately
Unfortunately this is what all these scumbags rely on, same as house builders after a while of ignoring issues a large percentage of buyers sort themselves out and it only leaves a few diehards that they have to pay out to!!

I’m afraid it’s time to get tough👍

Upvote 0
Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
I feel for you, turns my innards every time I read these tales, and they’re not rare.
But loving something don’t make it get better.
Reality has got to be handled.
Good luck.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
No heating hot water or showers
would you lol

tbh we nearly went friday for a couple of nights but had other things going off this weekend

They’ve no issue with us staying there or even us taking it away, after all it’s our motorhome but if we were to continue doing it i’m fearful of everything taken longer than it already is

It must feel like your renting the van instead of bought it…. 🤔 you need to start getting a bit more firm…

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT630
Exp
7 years full timing
This isn't going to help you in any way, I'm sorry, but a couple I know own a distinction 1090 and they have constant problems with it, built by apes. Personally I would ditch it, but it's not my money, or time. It's a never ending nightmare for you 😕

Upvote 0
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
I know that I was just pointing out how stupid Brit manufacturers are.
Think I remember reading something like that in my Burstner warranty too on a 2021 MY van. " not for permanent occupation, occassional recreational use only" utter bs. Even my dealer thought so....well the service department anyway and they knew we lived in ours for nearly 3 years straight from new. Didnt stop them with the warranty work but we had nothing serious go wrong I guess

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
This isn't going to help you in any way, I'm sorry, but a couple I know own a distinction 1090 and they have constant problems with it, built by apes. Personally I would ditch it, but it's not my money, or time. It's a never ending nightmare for you 😕

Eyeballmike

it wouldn’t surprise me Mike if I don’t already know of them

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Al/Val - I read this with some sympathy because we had a huge problem of water ingress with a nearly new van we bought.

This is why I always have the legal support extra with my insurance. They were brilliant in helping and a barely interested dealer suddenly took notice when the legal situation was pointed out, the dealers legal responsibilities were stated, and a legal timeline for resolution was outlined. It was - we got a replacement at no cost.

My problem occurred much sooner during the ownership period, which does help, and it may be that after two years there is less that you can do. Nevertheless I mention this because if you also have the legal support 'extra' with your motorhome insurance it would be worth talking to them to get clarity on your situation. It would also help if you have documented the whole process, including having notes on every occasion you have spoken to them, the assurances you received and how they were not met.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Al/Val - I read this with some sympathy because we had a huge problem of water ingress with a nearly new van we bought.

This is why I always have the legal support extra with my insurance. They were brilliant in helping and a barely interested dealer suddenly took notice when the legal situation was pointed out, the dealers legal responsibilities were stated, and a legal timeline for resolution was outlined. It was - we got a replacement at no cost.

My problem occurred much sooner during the ownership period, which does help, and it may be that after two years there is less that you can do. Nevertheless I mention this because if you also have the legal support 'extra' with your motorhome insurance it would be worth talking to them to get clarity on your situation. It would also help if you have documented the whole process, including having notes on every occasion you have spoken to them, the assurances you received and how they were not met.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for your input
as it happens I do have legal cover but i’m hoping not to have to use it quite yet.

I’ve asked this morning via email to have the boiler fitted this week so we can collect the van and at least have hot running water and heating if we need it. I understand it’s bank holiday today and as yet not had a reply but hopeful of getting one tomorrow.

I’m still of the understanding that the sales sides of things at the dealership are causing the service side too much work and they simply can’t cope. I’d say “it’s not my problem” but actually it is causing me a problem.
Let’s see what this coming week brings 🙏

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back