whales & dolphins & porpoises (1 Viewer)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
This post is about whales. A report dated 5th March from the Hebridean Whale & Dolphin Trust local co-ordinator.
Not distressing, though it felt a bit touch and go at the time.

We had a slightly scary day yesterday with a large pod of pilot whales in very shallow water in the south of Skye. Got some great footage from one of our medics of the whales, and for those who are interested or want the details here's a detailed account of the day:
We now know the pod arrived from the north, travelled south past the Raasay ferry terminal between 8 and 9am through to the Scalpay narrows. Then spent 7/8 hours pretty much stationary in one place in the deepest part of the channel, staying within the same 200m radius.
Approx. 3.30pm there was a large commotion within the group, splashing, white water, general excitement. Only notable since there had been zero activity from the group for hours apart from the odd bit of spy-hopping.
Around 5pm the group started to move with a bit more purpose before gaining speed back north towards the northern edge of Scalpay. They would swim strongly for a few minutes before slowing and resting. This pattern repeated until the reached the head of Loch Ainort. Initially looking like they were going to head into this dead-end sea loch they rested for a 5/10 minutes before starting north again. On a sixpence they turned east and swam straight out between the south of Raasay and north of Scalpay into the deep water. We lost sight of them just as the light faded at 18:15 round the end of Scalpay.
----
Some drone footage was taken by one of our medics (I'm a professional photographer too so under my supervision and at sensible height etc). There were even more individuals than we initially estimated, I've got a count of about 45 but still difficult to get an exact number.
There are a few small calves, and if you watch carefully one very very tiny individual towards the front of the group with a large adult.
Aside from internal injuries, we can't see the group seemed strong with now no obvious weak individual. Throughout the afternoon they circled one large adult who remained in the middle of the pod. One possible idea is they came into sheltered shallow water for this one individual to give birth. Most pilot whales give birth in summer, but after discussions with a few people, they can give birth at any time of year, albeit more unusually.
-----
We had a great response from a couple of our Skye medics and good support from locals who provided hot drinks, space to park at the best access point, plus positive communication with the local MOWI station and support from them if needed. It was my first larger incident as new joint coordinator for Skye & Lochalsh so another big thanks to everyone for the support on the phones and those that began the long drive up. For the time being it seems like we're safe but we'll be keeping a careful eye across the west coast in the coming days.

Pleased to report that they didn't come back.
And here, I hope, is the video

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
This post is about whales. A report dated 5th March from the Hebridean Whale & Dolphin Trust local co-ordinator.
Not distressing, though it felt a bit touch and go at the time.

We had a slightly scary day yesterday with a large pod of pilot whales in very shallow water in the south of Skye. Got some great footage from one of our medics of the whales, and for those who are interested or want the details here's a detailed account of the day:
We now know the pod arrived from the north, travelled south past the Raasay ferry terminal between 8 and 9am through to the Scalpay narrows. Then spent 7/8 hours pretty much stationary in one place in the deepest part of the channel, staying within the same 200m radius.
Approx. 3.30pm there was a large commotion within the group, splashing, white water, general excitement. Only notable since there had been zero activity from the group for hours apart from the odd bit of spy-hopping.
Around 5pm the group started to move with a bit more purpose before gaining speed back north towards the northern edge of Scalpay. They would swim strongly for a few minutes before slowing and resting. This pattern repeated until the reached the head of Loch Ainort. Initially looking like they were going to head into this dead-end sea loch they rested for a 5/10 minutes before starting north again. On a sixpence they turned east and swam straight out between the south of Raasay and north of Scalpay into the deep water. We lost sight of them just as the light faded at 18:15 round the end of Scalpay.
----
Some drone footage was taken by one of our medics (I'm a professional photographer too so under my supervision and at sensible height etc). There were even more individuals than we initially estimated, I've got a count of about 45 but still difficult to get an exact number.
There are a few small calves, and if you watch carefully one very very tiny individual towards the front of the group with a large adult.
Aside from internal injuries, we can't see the group seemed strong with now no obvious weak individual. Throughout the afternoon they circled one large adult who remained in the middle of the pod. One possible idea is they came into sheltered shallow water for this one individual to give birth. Most pilot whales give birth in summer, but after discussions with a few people, they can give birth at any time of year, albeit more unusually.
-----
We had a great response from a couple of our Skye medics and good support from locals who provided hot drinks, space to park at the best access point, plus positive communication with the local MOWI station and support from them if needed. It was my first larger incident as new joint coordinator for Skye & Lochalsh so another big thanks to everyone for the support on the phones and those that began the long drive up. For the time being it seems like we're safe but we'll be keeping a careful eye across the west coast in the coming days.

Pleased to report that they didn't come back.
And here, I hope, is the video

Thanks for sharing Wendy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back