VB air 4c Suspension Repairs Discussion (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Has anyone ever had any major repairs, replacement struts, valve bodies etc?
I'm only asking about automatic air suspension not manual rear air bags.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Ive got my van in for repair as the 2 front air struts are leaking, apparently it requires 2 new complete front struts.
Ive had 30,000 miles over 7 years from them but was surprised that they have failed and are not repairable. Bare in mind its the rear suspension taking most the weight anyway.
The ride quality with full air has no comparison to fiat suspension so don't want to take it off.
I've complained to VB about it and they have offered 5% discount against the repair if my supplier gives 5% which Ive had no choice other than to accept. I really am not happy with getting a massive bill and am disappointed that VB wouldn't do anymore to help.
Would you be happy with a bill of around £3.5k after 30,000 miles over 7 years use? Or do I have unreasonable expectations?

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The suspension comes with 2 years warranty which for the cost does seem low. Having said that even if it had 5 years it wouldn't have been any help to me

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
That's not far off the cost of having an entire axle done from scratch. Are they literally replacing the whole suspension setup?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That sounds very expensive just to replace the front struts especially as you have a standard Fiat front end it should be an easy job labour wise.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
That’s not good🙁
Just as well your now retired and can afford it 🙂
I bet you would not have the same again?

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
That’s not good🙁
The thing is the drive is totally better, had an idiot pull out on the motorway and slammed all on and no dipping or swerve, just a perfect emergency stop. Without I may have rolled the van!
Having said that maybe full air at the rear (dont mean toy air bags) and better springs at the front if I was changing.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Concerning that it is both sides I wouldn't expect that to happen unless they had a faulty batch.
We have had Goldschmitt full air on our van for 6 years over 40k without any problems.

You have got me worried as we want air on the new van and it has to be VB as its the only aftermarket one approved by Carthago.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Concerning that it is both sides I wouldn't expect that to happen unless they had a faulty batch.
We have had Goldschmitt full air on our van for 6 years over 40k without any problems.

You have got me worried as we want air on the new van and it has to be VB as its the only aftermarket one approved by Carthago.
One went one week, but by the time it was booked in the other corner was down!

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago

Mine is going to SAP at the end of the month for 4C VB full air. I'll let you know how I get in with it. Wouldn't like to be replacing half the system after only 30,000 miles - that's only about two years use for me!

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Doesn't look like the bag that is leaking more like a fitting ?

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
That’s not good🙁
Thinking about it I would not have 4c again and have 2c air at rear and uprate the front struts. If the front struts were more reliable and VB would have repair parts rather than full new struts my answer would have been different.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Thinking about it I would not have 4c again and have 2c air at rear and uprate the front struts. If the front struts were more reliable and VB would have repair parts rather than full new struts my answer would have been different.
That’s what I have on my 5ton Carthago albeit Alko full air (2C) on the rear and heavy duty VB springs on front, no complaints from me, then again I’ve never driven full air but I wouldn’t be happy with replacing them all the time🤷‍♂️👍

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
That’s what I have on my 5ton Carthago albeit Alko full air (2C) on the rear and heavy duty VB springs on front, no complaints from me, then again I’ve never driven full air but I wouldn’t be happy with replacing them all the time🤷‍♂️👍
I have no idea what driving with the VB Springs on the front would be like. When I bought my first Morelo back in 2016 it came with VB 2C on the rear to allow lowering for the car garage. I got Mick at SAP to upgrade it to full 4C. As always, Mick and team did a great job, but to be perfectly honest I did not feel a huge difference. It just didn’t seem to feel that much better. I remember my drive home thinking “that was a waste of money” So perhaps you have found the better option with the spring upgrade.
When we changed to the Atego chassis, now that is what I would call proper air. You know you are on airbags and the rear lift is instant and lifts about 12 inches unlike the 4 or 5 with the VB

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
Doesn't look like the bag that is leaking more like a fitting ?
Looks close to the fitting to me as well.

Can't they be removed and repaired, is that an option? Unless there pressed together it couls be just a lip seal or o ring thats faulty.

Whatever you do make sure you keep the old ones once removed...........

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
This thread is getting me worried as I was planning on full air on the new van. The van is coming with uprated front springs so might look at semi or full air just on the rear.

On the other hand I'll be 74 next month so if full air front struts last 7 years I'll be 81 so is it worth worrying about.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Looks close to the fitting to me as well.

Can't they be removed and repaired, is that an option? Unless there pressed together it couls be just a lip seal or o ring thats faulty.

Whatever you do make sure you keep the old ones once removed...........
Done and paid. They can't be repaired. It's now home, bank account severely reduced.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
This thread is getting me worried as I was planning on full air on the new van. The van is coming with uprated front springs so might look at semi or full air just on the rear.

On the other hand I'll be 74 next month so if full air front struts last 7 years I'll be 81 so is it worth worrying about.
I don't think 7 yrs is bad a lot longer than Fiat's 2 yrs so VB is 2 yrs.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
When I had VB 4c on our previous van what I didn't realise was the rear bags on the fiat camper chassis are only good for 2.5t, so if I had of kept my original leafs and added air assist I could of went higher.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I didnt ask, but many people don't keep their vans that long. He has seen it before and I get the idea it's not an isolated case.
Current van we have had 7 years but last one was less than 3 years but the new one will probably be a keeper getting expensive to change these days.

Even if people don't keep the van that long the next owner will need it repairing if it goes.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I wonder how many have slow leaks that people don't notice! I suggest everyone with front air struts sprays them with soapy water to check they are not leaking.
I don't know how long mine were leaking until I noticed when parked one corner was down, then a month later while waiting to get it fixed in the other front started leaking.
It still drove and repressurised when started and the compressor didn't keep on all the time so wouldn't make you realise anything was wrong.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Ive got my van in for repair as the 2 front air struts are leaking, apparently it requires 2 new complete front struts.
Ive had 30,000 miles over 7 years from them but was surprised that they have failed and are not repairable. Bare in mind its the rear suspension taking most the weight anyway.
The ride quality with full air has no comparison to fiat suspension so don't want to take it off.
I've complained to VB about it and they have offered 5% discount against the repair if my supplier gives 5% which Ive had no choice other than to accept. I really am not happy with getting a massive bill and am disappointed that VB wouldn't do anymore to help.
Would you be happy with a bill of around £3.5k after 30,000 miles over 7 years use? Or do I have unreasonable expectations?
Did VB give you a reason why the struts were leaking?

From a, so called, well engineered piece of kit, I too would have expected a much longer life? 🤔

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Did VB give you a reason why the struts were leaking?

From a, so called, well engineered piece of kit, I too would have expected a much longer life? 🤔
Sounds like bags or seals perishing as 30,000 miles is not much.
I wounder if the van is not used a lot the materials harden and more prone to failure like tyres are.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back