Using a Remoska on the gas hob (1 Viewer)

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,

Our van doesn’t have an oven. Currently we use an Omnia oven occasionally - oven chips are brilliant, warm through rolls, that sort of thing. But the Omnia is an odd shape (torus) so not great for heating pies or shop-bought lasagnes, for example. And it takes up extra storage in the van.

I started thinking of replacing the Omnia and our largest pan with a Dutch oven type pan - maybe cast aluminium, with a similar lid, so that it would work both as a small oven and just as a normal pan. Lakeland sell these for example:

Any thoughts on that?

Then I wondered if a Remoska could be used on the hob, as an ordinary pan. I think my researches seem to be saying that that’s only possible with the Tria, which is heavier. And then, to use it off-grid as a Dutch oven on the hob, I suppose I’d need to find a decent solid aluminium lid to retain heat. Has anyone done this? Would any lid of the correct diameter work?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Ramoska work off electric which is in the lid of the pan. Years ago I had a really thick Ali pan ( like a big frying pan with a lid) I think it was called a club pan, this was filled with all your meats/ pies & veg etc sort one pan cooks all. I remember you put it on the lowest heat possible or it was easy to burn thing's but once you got it right it cooked everything beautiful 👍

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We don’t have an oven. I use an electric Remoska, which will run off the inverter when we don’t have EHU. I love the Remoska and highly recommend one.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
What about a double skillet?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Our double skillet is very good, however we also do have an oven, which is better than the DS for oven chips, but I guess we could do without the oven. It never occurred to me.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We use the Remoska a lot at home & in the van, but I wouldn't put pan on gas hob direct, as although its non stick its not that heavy duty enough.

I use Tefal Deep sauté pans, with glass lids, 2 in the kitchen at home, 1 in the van, and use them for everything, inc hob to even, as they have silicon handles.
The best part of using in the van is that you can do a fry up, or sear off meat/fish, put the glass lid on and you dont mess the hob up with fat splashes, and you can see it cook.
They also last for years, good quality non stick coating, I also polish up the circular Ali bottom with a wire wool soap pad to keep them looking good.
I had a Meyer one for years, but The Tefal is just as good.(y)
LES

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
For versatility, I would love to take my big Wok but it's too big and the rest just seem too small but, if it helps, there are some thick based Woks about, maybe that is what you are looking for? :unsure:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
A ramoska is a fairly heavy pan that you could put on a gas hob but you have to mind the wire on the lid
Joe put this but I wouldn't use it on the hob I don't think it's heavy enough! The weight seems to be in the lid.

I use a Tefal sauté pan with glass lid when we go away for any length of time but don't bother just for weekends as I tend to take stuff that just needs reheating or can be done on the BBQ.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Those Lakeland pans are good but I think they are designed to be used in ovens, as much as on a hob. They'd hold a lot more than an Omnia as well. An advantage of the Omnia is that it's very light. Maybe adjust your diet when on holiday?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I have used my remoska pan on the gas hob to start a meal off. Then putting the lid on to finish cooking. It is ideal to start off a chilli and then continue with the electric lid, which concentrates the flavour.

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
From memory, there is a warning on the "ordinary" Remoska instructions that you shouldn't use the pan directly onto a heat source - as the metal is not thick enough (and may warp?)

This is a bit inconvenient as we like to make meals which start by frying/browning the ingredients and so we have to use another pan before transferring to the "ordinary" Remoska.

Which is why we bought their newer "Tria" : - https://www.remoska.eu/en/remoska-tria
The pan is considerably heavier/thicker and the Tria has all the advantages of the normal one PLUS it's a low-pressure cooker and has a second lid so that you can use it as a conventional pan.

We really like Remoska - but perhaps they are like Marmite.

As well as the fact they they only use 2-3 amps they're lighter than a typical caravan/campervan oven

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hi,

Our van doesn’t have an oven. Currently we use an Omnia oven occasionally - oven chips are brilliant, warm through rolls, that sort of thing. But the Omnia is an odd shape (torus) so not great for heating pies or shop-bought lasagnes, for example. And it takes up extra storage in the van.

I started thinking of replacing the Omnia and our largest pan with a Dutch oven type pan - maybe cast aluminium, with a similar lid, so that it would work both as a small oven and just as a normal pan. Lakeland sell these for example:

Any thoughts on that?

Then I wondered if a Remoska could be used on the hob, as an ordinary pan. I think my researches seem to be saying that that’s only possible with the Tria, which is heavier. And then, to use it off-grid as a Dutch oven on the hob, I suppose I’d need to find a decent solid aluminium lid to retain heat. Has anyone done this? Would any lid of the correct diameter work?
You would be quite likely to melt the handles on the Remoska because the heat from the gas flame will be running up the sides and in any case the metal is quite thin and I doubt the non stick would stand the direct heat from underneath. A decent heavy cast iron casserole With a lid is probably your best option.

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
My vote is also for double skillet ..so versatile!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ramoska pan CANNOT be used on an open flame .
The metal is too thin and the none stick coating will flake.

No 5 in the list....

Screenshot_20220403-140033.png

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The double skillet comes with a glass lid and 2 deep pans.

We found our glass lid very heavy, and swapped it for a lightweight one off our big curry saucepan indoors, but yes like our double skillet. 😁
Along with our monkey, two saucepans, pancake pan, remoska when we have electric, and our oven that is used on the gas hob. 😁😎 Bob.

IMG_20210331_191409936.jpg

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
... And you too have a pvc? Where ever do you store it?. Mrs Dorwyn, who's in charge of storage would not allow all that stuff. That's why we got rid of the Remoska, which you can only really use on hook up, which we rarely have.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
I think the whole point of the Tria is that it is heavier, and with those extra lids, can be used on the hob. Those lids also mean that the electric lid is nowhere near the gas, just stored away for if you’re on hook up. Does anyone have the Tria?

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Those Lakeland pans are good but I think they are designed to be used in ovens, as much as on a hob. They'd hold a lot more than an Omnia as well. An advantage of the Omnia is that it's very light. Maybe adjust your diet when on holiday?
Two, I do adjust my diet on holiday! I’d never eat a pie or a ready meal at home, it’s all salads, fish, game, and lots of veg. This weekend in the van I cooked a rabbit stew with smoked bacon cauliflower purée and leeks. In the summer we cook on the bbq. But sometimes it’s wet, and sometimes HWMBO wants a pie, and sometimes I want a rest from cooking, and we’re not near a good restaurant, so I fancy having a lazier option.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
... And you too have a pvc? Where ever do you store it?. Mrs Dorwyn, who's in charge of storage would not allow all that stuff. That's why we got rid of the Remoska, which you can only really use on hook up, which we rarely have.
Ours is an Adria Twin SGX with the lifting bed - loads of storage underneath it. But the point would be to replace the pan in the middle drawer (and the normal lid) and keep the electric lid in the back for occasional use on hookup.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
From memory, there is a warning on the "ordinary" Remoska instructions that you shouldn't use the pan directly onto a heat source - as the metal is not thick enough (and may warp?)

This is a bit inconvenient as we like to make meals which start by frying/browning the ingredients and so we have to use another pan before transferring to the "ordinary" Remoska.

Which is why we bought their newer "Tria" : - https://www.remoska.eu/en/remoska-tria
The pan is considerably heavier/thicker and the Tria has all the advantages of the normal one PLUS it's a low-pressure cooker and has a second lid so that you can use it as a conventional pan.

We really like Remoska - but perhaps they are like Marmite.

As well as the fact they they only use 2-3 amps they're lighter than a typical caravan/campervan oven
Thanks! Could you buy another solid lid for the Tria, so that it retained enough heat to use like the Omnia oven?

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
I think the whole point of the Tria is that it is heavier, and with those extra lids, can be used on the hob. Those lids also mean that the electric lid is nowhere near the gas, just stored away for if you’re on hook up. Does anyone have the Tria?
The Tria comes with 3 lids.
1. With the heating element inside
2. The (low) pressure cooker and the
3rd which is for use as a conventional pan

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
I know, but 2 and 3 are glass lids. I was asking if the pan would take a non-Remoska solid aluminium lid. Is it a standard circle, and what’s the diameter?

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
I wouldnt put my remoska on the gas top
i have a dutch oven of the old style for stove cooking.
its very heavy, i bought it from an antique shop, but if you look on ebay and just type in ,club dutch oven you will see the sort i mean ,you can bake a cake in them ,years ago they used to have house parties ,where you could buy them,rather like tupperware ( showing my age) lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back