Urgent help needed, (1 Viewer)

May 20, 2023
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobile 770hs act
Exp
2023 very newbie
Hi guys , we have recently purchased a 2004 eura mobil 2.8 jtd fiat ducato base . We are due to leave the UK on Friday, heading for the south of spain , previous owner had it sat in a field for god knows how long.
The Vehicle has been serviced , and had a new mot when we bought it . BUT whilst husband was taking it for a drive recently , he noticed that whilst braking, he is getting juddering through the brake pedal.
The whole of the underneath has been stripped and cleaned , numerous times trying to find the issue.
We have now replaced the suspension , brake shoes , discs , pads, drums , brakes have been bled a couple of times now , and a diagnostic test picked up no faults on the van or abs unit, we are now about to replace the master cylinder , in a desperate attempt to try and save our holiday ,and sanity .
I was wondering if anyone has had any similar problems , or any suggestions as to the cause ..

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I've been following this thread, but there's so much going on, I'm not sure if you've tried disconnecting all 4 ABS wheel sensors at each wheel (there's usually a plug near each caliper) and that should rule out reluctor rings and possible faulty sensor ?
I had an ABS fault come up on my van and the easiest option was paying the Renault truck place £90 to run a diagnostic to identify the faulty axle.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thats what we thought as well , that the issue would be on the front . But the van was juddering on the way home , after we purchased it. We have discs on the front , and disc and drums on the rear.

You can ignore the drums, they are just for the handbrake.

Given most braking is on the front I’d be surprised if the rear is causing this.

But you never know 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Replacing the calipers is on the list of to do's . But they were all cleaned and inspected.

I thought they had been replaced.

I would certainly change them if the vehicle has been standing a while and you’ve got an issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
We’re they checked inside and outside?

If they are vented you need to run a micrometer around them as well.

Even if they arnt vented I’d check for consistency in size.
My opinion is that if the fault was there with the old disks and now with the new disk it is unlikely that disks are the problem.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
My opinion is that if the fault was there with the old disks and now with the new disk it is unlikely that disks are the problem.

I can see where you’re coming from.

But it’s possible it was the near side with old discs and off side with new ones.

Never presume anything I was taught as it’s the fcuk up of all engineering and the building trade 😉😊

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I can see where you’re coming from.

But it’s possible it was the near side with old discs and off side with new ones.

Never presume anything I was taught as it’s the fcuk up of all engineering and the building trade 😉😊
I did say unlikely. Also with them doing a run out test it kind of confirms to a low level of confidence that it is not the issue.
The new disk would not only have to be faulty but faulty in a way that matches a run out of the disk exactly opposite to a run out of the hub and for it be orientated exactly right.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I think by now, the OP must be totally confused with so many duplicate suggestions. I know I am and I'm a qualified mechanic but I'm sure she appreciates all the help we have tried to give her. Let's hope she gets it sorted and let's us know? 👍

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
You can ignore the drums, they are just for the handbrake.

Given most braking is on the front I’d be surprised if the rear is causing this.

But you never know 🤷‍♂️
You say ignore the drums - why did I have to pump the pedal descending the Pyrenees this year - scared the crap out of me.
After parking up that night the (hot) rear wheel was locked up. I freed off the wheel and carried on - checking the temperature of that wheel. I got to my destination and back to the UK hardly using the brakes.
The offside (hot) rear brake shoes had disintegrated.
I still don't understand how it affected the footbrake unless the brake fluid boiled.......

Upvote 0
OP
OP
michelle wilson 76
May 20, 2023
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobile 770hs act
Exp
2023 very newbie
Good morning to you all. I just want to say a massive thankyou to you all , for all of your support , help and suggestions , in trying to get our mh's issues resolved. Every suggestion has been noted , and every one, big or small will be checked , and hopefully ticked of the checkn list . But unfortunately as we're in the twelfth hour ,and we don't want to rush or overlook anything . So he's going to have to stay at home this year . We have wanted a mh for so long , to try and make our holiday journeys a bit easier on our disabled son. And as much as we are gutted and seriously frustrated, we know that its not worth the risk in trying to rush getting it done. So when we get home , we will start again , and eliminate things one by one . And fingers crossed 🤞 we may get to have a couple of weekends away ,for a test run before the winter starts . But if not! by this time next year , and with probably a lot more blood , sweat , tears and swearing , we should have a mh with no issues, and a lot more mechanical knowledge 😁 and ready for our first mh adventure. I will of course , keep you all updated on the process . the best thing that I have done so far , was to join mhf . Your combined wealth of knowledge/insight outweighs any books that we could try to learn from . I wish you all a happy summer 🌞

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Good morning to you all. I just want to say a massive thankyou to you all , for all of your support , help and suggestions , in trying to get our mh's issues resolved. Every suggestion has been noted , and every one, big or small will be checked , and hopefully ticked of the checkn list . But unfortunately as we're in the twelfth hour ,and we don't want to rush or overlook anything . So he's going to have to stay at home this year . We have wanted a mh for so long , to try and make our holiday journeys a bit easier on our disabled son. And as much as we are gutted and seriously frustrated, we know that its not worth the risk in trying to rush getting it done. So when we get home , we will start again , and eliminate things one by one . And fingers crossed 🤞 we may get to have a couple of weekends away ,for a test run before the winter starts . But if not! by this time next year , and with probably a lot more blood , sweat , tears and swearing , we should have a mh with no issues, and a lot more mechanical knowledge 😁 and ready for our first mh adventure. I will of course , keep you all updated on the process . the best thing that I have done so far , was to join mhf . Your combined wealth of knowledge/insight outweighs any books that we could try to learn from . I wish you all a happy summer 🌞
Good luck with it, hope you get it resolved quickly and cheaply.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You say ignore the drums - why did I have to pump the pedal descending the Pyrenees this year - scared the crap out of me.
After parking up that night the (hot) rear wheel was locked up. I freed off the wheel and carried on - checking the temperature of that wheel. I got to my destination and back to the UK hardly using the brakes.
The offside (hot) rear brake shoes had disintegrated.
I still don't understand how it affected the footbrake unless the brake fluid boiled.......

The drums should only be cable operated and have been renewed.
If correctly fitted shouldn’t affect the problem being experienced here.

In your case heat dissipation into the drum, as it’s a big heat sync, may of caused your problem.

Very often the drums don’t get removed and checked so the grease gets gummed up with brake dust etc.

Also the ratio of changing front discs to rear disc/drum is low.

Did you snatch at the handbrake when descending or apply the handbrake when you stopped?
This may of caused an issue.

IMHO 😊

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Hope you get it sorted.

What part of the country do you live?

Is there a knowledgeable funster close that could have a gander at your Moho?

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.

Good luck and best wishes with your repair and new adventures.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would ask them to check that the suspension mounting rubbers are not perished
If they were perished it would have been caught on MOT? Also wouldn't that cause vibrations through the body of the van not just through the brake pedal?

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Look on the bright side, this time next year, when you're whizzing away on your hols, you will know a lot more about your van and that most of the important bits, have been either checked or renewed by you and not some spotty faced kid at vast expense.
Take care & Good Luck!
PS. If you do check EVERYTHING that has been suggested, you can rule out the brakes 😆

Upvote 0
OP
OP
michelle wilson 76
May 20, 2023
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobile 770hs act
Exp
2023 very newbie
Look on the bright side, this time next year, when you're whizzing away on your hols, you will know a lot more about your van and that most of the important bits, have been either checked or renewed by you and not some spotty faced kid at vast expense.
Take care & Good Luck!
PS. If you do check EVERYTHING that has been suggested, you can rule out the brakes 😆
That is so true 👍 🤣😅🤣😅

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Difficult decision to make to cancel your planned holiday
but having read all these posts, and your replies
it is definately the right decision,
you (and us on here) do not know if this is a serious fault
possibly risking an accident, or eventually turns out to be
something simple right under our nose,
only time and discovering the issue will tell.
In the meantime it may possibly be sorted soon
and you can take some time enjoying your m/h
touring around the UK, to build up your confidence in the MH
as you can see from the large number of suggestions,
everyone on here wants to try and help a fellow funster.
relax, take a deep breath, a cuppa, and look at it with a
clear fresh look
Good luck and be positive.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
michelle wilson 76
May 20, 2023
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobile 770hs act
Exp
2023 very newbie
Difficult decision to make to cancel your planned holiday
but having read all these posts, and your replies
it is definately the right decision,
you (and us on here) do not know if this is a serious fault
possibly risking an accident, or eventually turns out to be
something simple right under our nose,
only time and discovering the issue will tell.
In the meantime it may possibly be sorted soon
and you can take some time enjoying your m/h
touring around the UK, to build up your confidence in the MH
as you can see from the large number of suggestions,
everyone on here wants to try and help a fellow funster.
relax, take a deep breath, a cuppa, and look at it with a
clear fresh look
Good luck and be positive.
Thankyou Clive, I'm sure we will have many adventures, and we definitely need some deep breaths , and lots of coffee .

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The drums should only be cable operated and have been renewed.
If correctly fitted shouldn’t affect the problem being experienced here.

In your case heat dissipation into the drum, as it’s a big heat sync,

Did you snatch at the handbrake when descending or apply the handbrake when you stopped?
This may of caused an issue.

IMHO 😊
Yes I put handbrake on when I stopped.
Next morning handbrake would only release halfway. I checked brake fluid level - normal. Couldn't understand why I kept losing pressure in footbrake. All (mostly) OK after I released handbrake

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back