Uplating - double standards ? (1 Viewer)

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
I'm 4.4T, under 3m (just), I have my AM stickers on permanently (not in the glovebox). All I do is drive up to the barrier and it opens. Who am I to argue the almighty Gods of the Barriers ?

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We are hoping to do Southern Germany next year, and I also fancy a trip to the Dolomites…. But I don’t fancy Austria/ Gobox, but it looks like the Gobox is the easiest option…
If you don't fancy a Go Box you could go via Switzerland instead - the 10-days-in-a-year pass through the VIA app is very easy to set up and use.

But having got ourselves a Go Box last year I can't understand what the problem is...its a bit more faff than other countries but its not difficult. You do need to make sure you have all your documents with you (which you should have anyway) and that they show your Euro class. Its also useful to have scanned copies available for upload/emailing if necessary. Once you have a box you can register on the Go Maut website to check your transaction/balance, upload documentation etc.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You would have been very proud of the PVC on the Camperstop at Valencia then who had Angles Mortes stickers. I nearly tripped over my crocs on the way to shower.
Ah but it is likely that the PVC could have been over 3500kg as many of the LWB and XLWB ones don't have a lot of payload at 3500kg.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Ah but it is likely that the PVC could have been over 3500kg as many of the LWB and XLWB ones don't have a lot of payload at 3500kg.
It would make more sense (?) that the AM stickers were required by vehicle physical size then....

- or have stickers on the handlebars of all cycles...and the phones of pedestrians.....:clap:

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I’m sure it was, my point was that the OP would have been impressed by their honesty. I have never seen Angles Mortes on a PVC and I’m sure many are over. When we weighed ours once fully loaded plus electric bikes we were 20kg over so have been careful since.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
A bit fed up with the threads and posts about payload especially around 3500kg particularly the 'just a paper exercise'

So many uprate then try and pretend to be less to avoid tolls, restrictions, Angles Mort........

So it's not OK to be a bit over 3500kg but OK to ignore the rules and laws when uprated......

:unsure:
I have noticed this but wasnt bold enough to say

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I hope you have better luck than an owner driver trucking friend of mine who was convinced (or so he claims) that the vehicle he was driving did not need a go-box (or whatever it's called if you're over a certain weight) while travelling a short distance through Austria.

The Austrian Authorities pursued him at his UK address and after he did not pay the fine, was asked to attend the court in Austria, which he refused, and now is afraid of ever going back to Austria in case they stop him

This has cost him more in lost business and extra diversion mileage than if he had paid the initial cost.

One lives & learns! 🤔

PS. This was a few years ago, so possibly all different now we are out of the union?
The Glossglockner pass is not on the vignette/go box system of Austria so if transversing Austria you get to it from Germany without going on the A roads then get to Italy without using the A roads. Then you pay a separate fee (about 35 euros for under 3500 kgs and a few euros more if you are over 3500kgs) in order to use the road.

The only person you need to convince is the lady at the tollgate who generally asks "How much do you weigh?" To which the reply shockingly is "Under 3500 kgs"

Obviously there was a translation issue as I thought she asked how much we weighed when we bought the van. My bad.

I wouldnt dream of trying to do over the Austrian authorities on their go box system. They seek you out and appear to be quite good at it. Going there this month and still making up our way through there and really hoping for no hiccups that cause me to go onto their main roads

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back