Unwanted guests in the RV (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hey folks,

I just wanted to share a quick story about an annoying problem I had with my motorhome recently and how I managed to fix it. So, I’ve got this RV that my family and I take out on weekends, hitting various campsites and just enjoying nature. Everything was going great until I started noticing these tiny scratching noises coming from somewhere inside the RV. My first thought was, “Oh no, not rats!”

Sure enough, after pulling out the lower storage bins and checking around, I found some gnaw marks on one of the cable casings and even a few tiny droppings. I was shocked because we’re pretty good about not leaving food out and keeping things tidy. But I guess these little guys had other ideas.

I started researching ways to get rid of them without using harsh chemicals or traps. I didn't want anything that could potentially harm my kids or our dog, Max, who comes along on all our trips. That’s when I stumbled upon this AMZ BRAND mouse and rat repellent spray. It uses all-natural ingredients like peppermint oil. Seemed like a safer choice than poison, right?

After I got the spray, I went around the RV, hitting all the spots where I thought they might be coming in. I even sprayed a little inside the engine compartment, just in case. The smell is pretty strong at first, but it’s not unpleasant. Within a few days, the scratching noises stopped. I was pretty relieved to know that we wouldn’t be dealing with chewed-up wires or worse, not to mention the smell of rats getting into our food storage.

Now, I’m no expert, but I can tell you that since using this spray, we haven’t had any more rat problems. It's been a couple of weeks, and the RV has stayed quiet, aside from the usual family chatter and Max’s snoring. If you have similar issues with rats or mice in your motorhome, this might be a good solution to check out.

I’d love to hear if anyone else has had luck with non-toxic repellents or if you have other tips for keeping the RV rodent-free.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Are you certain they were rats and not mice that you had as guests ?

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
You can also get some humane traps to catch them in and then take them for a walk to another location. I am lucky, if I get mice in our van I can catch them then release them onto our field. But I am interested in your spray to deter them in the first place, so thanks for that info(y)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Noticed a couple of gnaw patches on the air filter housing on our Freelander last week so may try this spray 👍

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
Rodents love a warm place in winter. I used a couple of proprietary bait boxes suitable loaded and placed on the floor outside the motorhome to feed them before they get in, never a smell but did find one little dead meece in a belly locker.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Another vote for peppermint spray.
I had mice in the engine compartment, they seem to like the sound damping material under the bonnet and chewed through a turbo pipe. I now use a peppermint spray when MH is parked up for a few days or so and the little bugger has not returned (so far).
I used ‘Spear & Jackson Mouse Repellant’.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I don't kill them. Why do we think we have more of a right to live on this earth than them🤷‍♀️
Mmmm … nice statement but I wonder if you would feel the same after suffering serious damage from rodents
Disease damage and deification soon eroded any sympathy I felt when I had them
Good luck if you find any visitors

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Mmmm … nice statement but I wonder if you would feel the same after suffering serious damage from rodents
Yep im in your camp caused havoc in my moho cost me treble in storage fees to move to a new site to be rid of them.

Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Hey folks,

I’d love to hear if anyone else has had luck with non-toxic repellents or if you have other tips for keeping the RV rodent-free.

We had mice & rats in ours last winter when my soulmate in her wisdom decided to store boxes of foil-pouch coffee in it.

I bought a very similar device to this >> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CZT6BMG?tag=mhf04-21 from LIDL to try.

Cost was only circa £8 IIRC, and has a small solar panel built in on the top to keep the supplied Battery recharged. It also has selectable 3-way flashing-light + ultrasonic + motion detector modes.

I was VERY sceptical that it would be of any practical use, but to my great surprise, it seems to be very effective.

I do see these gadgets re-appear in LIDL every few months, so perhaps try one for yourself.

Jan 27, 2023
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Someone can correct me on this but I was under the impression that if you catch a mouse or rat (in a humane trap) it is an offence to release them 🤷‍♂️ you are supposed to kill them.
Best way is to use repellent.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Someone can correct me on this but I was under the impression that if you catch a mouse or rat (in a humane trap) it is an offence to release them 🤷‍♂️

I know thats the case for Grey Squirrels, but I think you are OK releasing rats and mice into the wild.

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Why would anyone want to release rats or mice? That's only encouraging reproduction of the disease riddled, destructive and hazardous pests. There are plenty of other cute fury mammals out there to feel empathy for.

I also thought that if you didn't release them at least 3 miles away they would simply return to their territory? I may be wrong?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I thought it was 2 miles away.

Why on earth would anyone want to kill them, take the time to release them in the wild, over the said 2 or 3 miles, as we shouldn’t have the right to play executioner, just because we don’t like them.

Aug 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020
Hi All
I discovered I had an unwanted guest in my engine bay . No damage done but evidence of mouse droppings .I am lucky enough to have my MH at home so I simply layed a led rope light running the full length of the van on the ground underneath it . I put this on a time switch to come on during the hours of darkness . Hey presto , I have never had an issue again . Apparently mice do not like bright light so I assume it keeps them away ……it’s worked for me 👍

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I have used the electronic deterrents and can definitely say they don't (always) work. Maybe some devices are better than others or some vermin are deaf or unaware of the 'rules'? I bought the most powerful device I could find and put it in my workshop. The rats ignored it and even gnawed into a large plastic container of rat poison directly underneath it to kill themselves that way instead. When we found mice in the house, I moved it into the room they were present in but they remained. The best way to rid them is to trap them and at least you have evidence of their presence. No signs do not necessarily mean no vermin (some use stealth). I've tried most things but not peppermint oil, so cannot comment on that.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We had mice & rats in ours last winter when my soulmate in her wisdom decided to store boxes of foil-pouch coffee in it.

I bought a very similar device to this >> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CZT6BMG?tag=mhf04-21 from LIDL to try.

Cost was only circa £8 IIRC, and has a small solar panel built in on the top to keep the supplied Battery recharged. It also has selectable 3-way flashing-light + ultrasonic + motion detector modes.

I was VERY sceptical that it would be of any practical use, but to my great surprise, it seems to be very effective.

I do see these gadgets re-appear in LIDL every few months, so perhaps try one for yourself.

I was under the impression that rats and mice will not live close to each other, possibly because the rats would kill the mice. Am I wrong on that ?

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Hey folks,

I just wanted to share a quick story about an annoying problem I had with my motorhome recently and how I managed to fix it. So, I’ve got this RV that my family and I take out on weekends, hitting various campsites and just enjoying nature. Everything was going great until I started noticing these tiny scratching noises coming from somewhere inside the RV. My first thought was, “Oh no, not rats!”

Sure enough, after pulling out the lower storage bins and checking around, I found some gnaw marks on one of the cable casings and even a few tiny droppings. I was shocked because we’re pretty good about not leaving food out and keeping things tidy. But I guess these little guys had other ideas.

I started researching ways to get rid of them without using harsh chemicals or traps. I didn't want anything that could potentially harm my kids or our dog, Max, who comes along on all our trips. That’s when I stumbled upon this AMZ BRAND mouse and rat repellent spray. It uses all-natural ingredients like peppermint oil. Seemed like a safer choice than poison, right?

After I got the spray, I went around the RV, hitting all the spots where I thought they might be coming in. I even sprayed a little inside the engine compartment, just in case. The smell is pretty strong at first, but it’s not unpleasant. Within a few days, the scratching noises stopped. I was pretty relieved to know that we wouldn’t be dealing with chewed-up wires or worse, not to mention the smell of rats getting into our food storage.

Now, I’m no expert, but I can tell you that since using this spray, we haven’t had any more rat problems. It's been a couple of weeks, and the RV has stayed quiet, aside from the usual family chatter and Max’s snoring. If you have similar issues with rats or mice in your motorhome, this might be a good solution to check out.

TBH, I found peppermint spray useless.

I live in the sticks, with a food factory not too far away and rats are a fact of life. We also have land with horses and barns so they are a gimme.

My big problem with them is the destruction they cause. With a car, van & MoHo on the drive, all have had rats in the engine bays. They LOVE the soundproofing material and have nibbled the odd wiring loom. I hung wheat bags all around, soaked in peppermint oil and 2 days later, they’d troughed the lot!

We now resort to leaving engine bays open…. No problems since!

Jun 25, 2016
Ynys Môn, UK
Funster No
MH
2016 Benimar 243
Exp
Since 2016
Having worked in the pest control industry for nearly 30 years, now retired, I can say that electronic devices and sprays do not work for Rodents. No professional companies use them, and all the decent sized companies have their own research departments.
The only time a I successfully used a deterrent was Renardine for foxes, alas now banned, as it was harmful to the environment, boy did it smell!

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
They have ruined stuff in my house as well as the van. They chewed the blankets I made for my late dog Stanley and his food container he had for 14 years which broke my heart as I wanted to keep them. I still wouldn't kill them.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Having worked in the pest control industry for nearly 30 years, now retired, I can say that electronic devices and sprays do not work for Rodents. No professional companies use them, and all the decent sized companies have their own research departments.
The only time a I successfully used a deterrent was Renardine for foxes, alas now banned, as it was harmful to the environment, boy did it smell!
Renardine christ that stinks. Used it in my garden that was a latrine for cats. Even wearing gloves it stunk my hands out.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
This is the first year that we have had mice in the van in 10 years. At the end of the season we take absolutely everything out and wash all surfaces down in Dettol.

Foe some reason this year we have been invaded. They nested in the sound proofing under the bonnet and I put a sonic deterrent next to them. They carried on nesting! Next up was peppermint oil. Bloody useless and used 2 litres of the stuff. Next was traps, this got rid of them but don't like to leave baited traps around as the smell of the bait brings them in.
So, at the moment we are clear but lets hope they haven't done too much damage.

Oct 25, 2021
Stisted, Essex
Funster No
MH
Cipro 85
Exp
Since 2005
My first Motorhome laid up for the winter, decided to let a family of mice nest under the shower tray, chewed through all the plastic water pipes and some of the wiring loom, and as a rodent family you get that smell that is unmistakable.
After a few weeks away at the repairers and a bill for £900 my mind was fixed that it would never happen again, four motorhomes and five caravans later it has not due to our inhumane deterrents.
We live in the sticks and Rats are a given, but whenever one or six are spotted my time is then taken up with their eradication, and I have no conscience about this action. Filthy disease spreading, home damaging pests, those that would look to protect have never experienced someone with Weil's disease, its not nice, but easy to catch.

OP
OP
9Etype
Jul 1, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Are you certain they were rats and not mice that you had as guests ?
Well, mice or rats, for me they are the same, as I am not their fan.
You can also get some humane traps to catch them in and then take them for a walk to another location. I am lucky, if I get mice in our van I can catch them then release them onto our field. But I am interested in your spray to deter them in the first place, so thanks for that info(y)
I prefer not to interact with them at all, this is why I got this spray, and it works!
TBH, I found peppermint spray useless.

I live in the sticks, with a food factory not too far away and rats are a fact of life. We also have land with horses and barns so they are a gimme.

My big problem with them is the destruction they cause. With a car, van & MoHo on the drive, all have had rats in the engine bays. They LOVE the soundproofing material and have nibbled the odd wiring loom. I hung wheat bags all around, soaked in peppermint oil and 2 days later, they’d troughed the lot!

We now resort to leaving engine bays open…. No problems since!
Try their ultrasonic devices..one of my friends is using them and told me they haven't noticed any mice/rats since then.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Try their ultrasonic devices..one of my friends is using them and told me they haven't noticed any mice/rats since then.

Seems to me there isn't a 100% solution. I haven’t had further visits since I began regularly spraying the under bonnet sound deadening with peppermint oil but they could well be back tomorrow? The storage facility recently increased the number of those black box rat catcher things, so maybe I might be benefitting from that? Just out of interest, anybody tried this?

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
This works

20230204_134419.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!