Unwanted Android phones? (1 Viewer)

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
This is a bit of a longshot, and I'll admit now I haven't thought this through, but ...

does anyone have any old but working Android phones lying about that they would be happy to give away if I collect/pay postage? Needs working charger port, camera and screen. Don't care about age or condition apart from that.

I've set up an AlfredCam network at home, but could do with some more phones to act as cameras whilst we're away. I have 2 of my own, but recently got rid of a load more.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You'd be better buying a few indoor CCTV cameras.
Connect to WiFi and watch from anywhere.
We bought a couple by mistake off Amazon then changed to outdoor instead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
You'd be better buying a few indoor CCTV cameras.
Connect to WiFi and watch from anywhere.
We bought a couple of Amazon then changed to outdoor instead.

Yeah, that's the other option. It's just the AlfredCam works so well with our other old phones I thought it a bit quicker to set this up than put in a new system (we're off next weekend).

Like I say, not reatlly though it through too much ..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
I like that, but the possible advantages a mobile phone has over that is a built in UPS (the battery) and network redundancy (the SIM). So if the power is cut and the internet goes, the phone keeps working and alerts me to the reducing battery charge, at least long enough for me to call a neighbour and ask them to investigate why the power has gone.

Down side is - I need lots of Android phones :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Interesting post. I hadn't heard of Alfredcam. Has anyone else used it?

It's pretty good. I mean, it's no utopia (it has no meaningful alarm) but it does give you motion alerts that work through windows and a two way audio.

Up to the individual to assess suitability for purpose. I doubt you'd get any insurance credit for it :)

Upvote 0
May 29, 2021
Kotka, Finland
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van
Keep in mind that every Android software doesn't run on older devices. I have a Samsung tablet from something like 2012 and many of the software I've used it for, don't work on it any more. They tell me to update to latest version but Google Play tells me the latest version can not be installed on it. Sure there are nerdy stuff to get around those, like installing a newer Android system but they are usually unofficial solutions which require more than just a few clicks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Keep in mind that every Android software doesn't run on older devices. I have a Samsung tablet from something like 2012 and many of the software I've used it for, don't work on it any more. They tell me to update to latest version but Google Play tells me the latest version can not be installed on it. Sure there are nerdy stuff to get around those, like installing a newer Android system but they are usually unofficial solutions which require more than just a few clicks.

This is from their site :

What are the recommended OS requirements for my device?

1. Viewer devices

You can set almost any smartphone and tablet device as Viewer devices, as long as they run on systems Android 5.0+ and iOS 11+. The same Viewer device requirements apply if you also use AlfredCam (Alfred's own hardware camera). We suggest that you use your daily phones as Viewer devices.
  2. Camera devices

As long as you can find Alfred's app on the Google Play Store or App Store, you can use your device as a camera.

📱 Android:
    Android 5.0 or above

📱 iOS: iOS 11 or above

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
If you should decide to sell your old phones, do not even consider selling to We buy phones type of people. I checked my android mobile and was offered 15quid, then looked up CEX who offered 50. Normally we take old phones overseas to give to room staff etc. Their appreciation is priceless.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You must live in a really dodgy area.
How will you get extended recording
Even a 128gb SD card won't last long if it's on full time.
At least the proper cameras will overwrite the first recording when the card is full

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
You must live in a really dodgy area.
How will you get extended recording
Even a 128gb SD card won't last long if it's on full time.
At least the proper cameras will overwrite the first recording when the card is full

nah, quite the opposite. Zero crime in the last 2 years (hope that doesn't jinx it!). I just had a sudden moment of unpreparedness-driven worry.

The recording is, I think, a rolling X second window which gets overridden without a motion detection alert or me hitting the panick button. And I can view live whenever I like.

I'm not in any way offering this as a perfect solution, by the way, or disagreeing with you. It;s just what i have right now.,

edit Also there's a premium option which I have that handles some offsite recording,.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back