Truma Combi 6E heating only query on 230v (2 Viewers)

Jan 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M680SP
Exp
Feb 2024
Hello, I am fairly new to this Forum, I have recently purchased a 2012 motorhome and is our first. On our first outing on a EHU site I tried the heating only setting on the rotary knobs with the power setting on either the 900 or 1800w electric only and the heat only on the control knob. Should the fan also kick in to blow the heat around as i could tell it was heating as a feint whisper of warm to hot air emerging from the outlet nearest the Combi. When i use it with gas and electric combined, it fires up and the fan is going as i would expect and soon got the inside warm.
Is this right that there is no fan on the electric only or is something wrong with the combi ?
Many thanks in anticipation of any replies.

OP
OP
G
Jan 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M680SP
Exp
Feb 2024
Set the fan to high. Mine works fine.
Hi thanks all to replies, where is there a fan setting, i had the thermostat on 5max - i think that was all i could do. Definitely on combined gas / electric the fan is going well just like a diesel heater blowing but no noise in just electric only on my combi. I looked at Youtube videos on this but no one mentions anything about fan blowing hot air which I would assume to happen. I havent tried gas only off EHU but assume there is a fan on 12v then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi thanks all to replies, where is there a fan setting, i had the thermostat on 5max - i think that was all i could do. Definitely on combined gas / electric the fan is going well just like a diesel heater blowing but no noise in just electric only on my combi. I looked at Youtube videos on this but no one mentions anything about fan blowing hot air which I would assume to happen. I havent tried gas only off EHU but assume there is a fan on 12v then.
You can set it to gas only even on ehu.
It does work well.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We've got a 6E. We've found electric to be pretty mediocre. It takes well over an hour to heat water and we can't have two showers in a row, we need to wait for it to recover. We often set it to mix mode when we want showers. Hot air heating in my van isn't great either way (I think my ducts are split somewhere), but it's definitely worse on electric.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
If you have the CP plus control panel (the one with a large rotary control) then the fan speed is an additional setting. So from the left you have lorry icon “heating”, thermometer in water “hot water”, gas bottle and sparks “fuel (gas/electric)”, a fan “fan mode”.

So first you chose what temperature you want, then what fuel gas and/or electric (if you want electric you have two power levels).

Then move to fan control and you have 2 or 3 options on fan speed as well! Low speed called “ECO” is very quiet, “HIGH” is noisy and sometimes the “BOOST” option there it is as fast as the fan will go. You only get boost when the temperature difference is more than 10 degrees between set point and room.

The ECO is very quiet in my van which is great!

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you have the CP plus control panel (the one with a large rotary control) then the fan speed is an additional setting. So from the left you have lorry icon “heating”, thermometer in water “hot water”, gas bottle and sparks “fuel (gas/electric)”, a fan “fan mode”.

So first you chose what temperature you want, then what fuel gas and/or electric (if you want electric you have two power levels).

Then move to fan control and you have 2 or 3 options on fan speed as well! Low speed called “ECO” is very quiet, “HIGH” is noisy and sometimes the “BOOST” option there it is as fast as the fan will go. You only get boost when the temperature difference is more than 10 degrees between set point and room.

The ECO is very quiet in my van which is great!

Hope this helps!
He won't have a CP Plus controller on a 2012 van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G
Jan 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M680SP
Exp
Feb 2024
My combi controllers are just two knobs, one for power source, the other to choose water only heating (summer) or heat only inc without water in tank, then also water 60c and heating (winter mode) plus thermostat 1 to 5 dial in the middle. I was contemplating installing a diesel heater, as i thought it would be more economical on 12v power and diesel over gas (we have refillable bottles) especially when we cannot find gas on a forecourt. Its just that cutting holes in the motorhome floor feels as though I might devalue it, I have a garage at the back or maybe under the drivers or passenger seat as possible locations (holes under the front seats being less noticeable when we want to sell). Ideally i need to assess how well the combi heater works - very well on 230v and gas combo, just thought the 230v electric would be same as a fan heater really. Thanks again for the people who have taken the time to comment on my query.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
My combi controllers are just two knobs, one for power source, the other to choose water only heating (summer) or heat only inc without water in tank, then also water 60c and heating (winter mode) plus thermostat 1 to 5 dial in the middle. I was contemplating installing a diesel heater, as i thought it would be more economical on 12v power and diesel over gas (we have refillable bottles) especially when we cannot find gas on a forecourt. Its just that cutting holes in the motorhome floor feels as though I might devalue it, I have a garage at the back or maybe under the drivers or passenger seat as possible locations (holes under the front seats being less noticeable when we want to sell). Ideally i need to assess how well the combi heater works - very well on 230v and gas combo, just thought the 230v electric would be same as a fan heater really. Thanks again for the people who have taken the time to comment on my query.
We have the same setup and heating on 240v is woeful. You may find an element has packed in but it won't really help much if they both work. The fan barely ticks over on electric only but blasts well on gas. I fitted a chinese diesel heater just for another option and find it very good but also very directional, so we end up with a warm front of van but a cold rear. On gas the whole van is toasty

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
Hello, I am fairly new to this Forum, I have recently purchased a 2012 motorhome and is our first. On our first outing on a EHU site I tried the heating only setting on the rotary knobs with the power setting on either the 900 or 1800w electric only and the heat only on the control knob. Should the fan also kick in to blow the heat around as i could tell it was heating as a feint whisper of warm to hot air emerging from the outlet nearest the Combi. When i use it with gas and electric combined, it fires up and the fan is going as i would expect and soon got the inside warm.
Is this right that there is no fan on the electric only or is something wrong with the combi ?
Many thanks in anticipation of any replies.
I had the same experience with our 2011 Hymer - I contacted Truma and they quoted the following:

"Thank you for your enquiry. The electric function of the Combi Heaters (Combi 4E/6E) is an 1800w supplementary heat source to the gas operation of the heater. The gas functions can operate at 4kw or 6kw and so heat will be created quicker and the fan will blow with more power then it will when running on electric. When the heater is set to the mix functions it will run on gas first (if the temperature differential is greater than 2°/3°) and then switch over to electric to maintain the temperature. The heater is thematically controlled and reads the living space temperature via a sensor, the location of the sensor is down to the vehicle manufacturer."

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back