Travelling to Ireland with dogs (1 Viewer)

PrettyandFluffy

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G730
Exp
About 5 years
We would like to take the motorhome across to Ireland (from England) but I haven't been able to find out much about the crossing in terms of the dogs. I would be reluctant to leave them in the motorhome or in a kennel on deck, I would much rather book a dog friendly cabin if any of the operators offer this option. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
We’ve just taken our 2 dogs from Holyhead to Dublin and back with Irish Ferries. This was the first time they had been on a ferry so we booked the shortest crossing on the Dublin Swift, just over 2 hours. They were fine, very pleased to see us on our return but no problems. I know its not what you were asking but it might give you some reassurance..

OP
OP
PrettyandFluffy

PrettyandFluffy

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G730
Exp
About 5 years
We’ve just taken our 2 dogs from Holyhead to Dublin and back with Irish Ferries. This was the first time they had been on a ferry so we booked the shortest crossing on the Dublin Swift, just over 2 hours. They were fine, very pleased to see us on our return but no problems. I know its not what you were asking but it might give you some reassurance..
Where did the dogs travel?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Don't forget you need an AHC unless your dog has European Pet Passport.
Or you could cross the Irish Sea to Belfast where they currently have no restrictions - from Cairnryan only 2 1/2 hrs, our dog sleeps in the van no problem.
There is currently no hard border between NI and the Republic!

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
If you use Stenaline Cairnryan to Belfast it's a doddle. As long as you have a pet carrier i.e a collapsible fabric travel crate for example, you are allowed to take your dog with you on-board, as long as once you're up on one of the decks, you keep your dog in the crate.

Also, the crossing is only 2.5 hours and if you're in the C&MC you can use their code to get a discount on the cost.

Furthermore, don't worry about an AHC as you're entering NI and currently due to the Brexit fiasco, all customs checks have been suspended and there are absolutely no cross border checks anywhere from NI to Eire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It is such a short crossing compared to the channel, the dogs if well exercised well before, will likely sleep through the crossing in the van

Jan 2, 2021
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 874
Exp
My dogs sleep from 11 until 7, so I had no problem leaving them in the van with a fan on from Liverpool to Belfast on the night crossing, which is great as you also get at least 6 hours sleep!

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
My dogs sleep from 11 until 7, so I had no problem leaving them in the van with a fan on from Liverpool to Belfast on the night crossing, which is great as you also get at least 6 hours sleep!
I don't know if it's only freight drivers who can either share a cabin or pay extra for a single cabin, but after seeing the cabins on the crossings I've done, I wouldn't let my dog sleeping one of those beds....might be different for Joe public though?

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
To be fair, I think that Stena operate a freight boat which would have been the ones I've crossed on out of Liverpool and the crossing was 8 hours.

I'm sure the passenger boats are much better. I know that the ones out of Cairnryan are nice boats.

TOT

Feb 7, 2022
UK and Ireland
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Either Holyhead or Fishguard take about 3.5 hours...... most folk leave them in their Vans though kennels are available on the car decks at additional cost.

Jan 2, 2021
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 874
Exp
The Liverpool-Belfast ferry's were changed last year for new ferry's which are very nice, if you were in a car you could easily walk from the car deck to a cabin's with a dog without being noticed, but I'm not sure you could do it from the lower deck were the vans park? I have seen dogs walking around on all decks in the morning before disembarkation but never on arrival.

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
If you use Stenaline Cairnryan to Belfast it's a doddle. As long as you have a pet carrier i.e a collapsible fabric travel crate for example, you are allowed to take your dog with you on-board, as long as once you're up on one of the decks, you keep your dog in the crate.

Also, the crossing is only 2.5 hours and if you're in the C&MC you can use their code to get a discount on the cost.

Furthermore, don't worry about an AHC as you're entering NI and currently due to the Brexit fiasco, all customs checks have been suspended and there are absolutely no cross border checks anywhere from NI to Eire.
That's interesting. I was going to get an AHC for Ireland. Would it be needed if you returned from Southern Ireland?
I was also thinking of trying to get a pet passport there. Would I need an AHC for that or just his rabies jab proof?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
That's interesting. I was going to get an AHC for Ireland. Would it be needed if you returned from Southern Ireland?
I was also thinking of trying to get a pet passport there. Would I need an AHC for that or just his rabies jab proof?
Read post 5 above.
Not sure about return though. We crossed to Belfast and later travelled into Ireland where we obtained an Irish pet passport. Some vets will transfer info, others will want to administer a booster for rabies. Another thread running with more info.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
If you go in via Belfast no AHC is needed.

Then go over to a vets in Eire with your rabies certificate, don't rely on a sticker in a book it must be a certificate of the rabies injection your dog has had. Like TerryL, we had a booster so all was good. Let the vet transpose all the info across, making sure the microchip details are correct and hey presto.

We were lucky in that we also had a an irish address we could use having family there and me holding an irish passport, but the vet said it wasn't essential.

Travel back via Belfast to Cairnryan without the need of any wormers etc, and if asked, state that you never left NI. No need to show your new passport as you're going from UK to UK and it will blow your claim of not going over to Eire anyway.

Most importantly, you've got an EU pet passport for your future EU travels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back