Travel Insurance? (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Looking to take out annual travel insurance but a question.

Travelling abroad/UK in a MHome IMHO poses different problems than the "normal" types of travel.
If you ie: have booked sites say for 2 weeks and you have a breakdown or like we did last year not breakdown but cut short travels due to possible breakdown, would your travel insurance cover you? Ours didn't, I think because we did not actually breakdown but we lost out on some site fees.

How do funsters cover this, is it travel or breakdown insurance?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I don't book anything so don't have to worry about losing campsite fees, but I doubt any will cover you if you choose to terminate your trip ?
I just go with regular travel ins which covers things not relevant such as lost baggage etc.
You could look at cover from the camping clubs, if any cover lost site fees I'd imagine they'd be the most likely

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
At one time I owned a Motorhome that would not start on its own, an engineer got it started and I left a campsite. Because I would not be able to restart, I phoned International breakdown people in Spain, they wanted to know where I had broken down but as I was still moving they could not help although I offered to drive to a suitable place but they still could not help. So I drove to a campsite and parked up, then phoned breakdown who arrived following day. He was in a hurry and would take the van away immediately!!! Panic packing, no cases, fridge full etc. Van taken away. Fortunately the campsite owner had friends with an appartment, she managed to take us with two bikes, food and clothes and saved the day.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I have breakdown and travel insurance through Nationwide Flexplus account, but i tend not to worry about these things. Save the worrying for when/if it actually happens. If these policies pay out then that's a bonus , if not then I will make do. Really I have them for the worse scenario. The motorhome breakdown on a motorway or I break my leg and end up in hospital. Not claimed on any for 40 years! Oh, hang on - yes my wife claimed for lost suitcase when flying. -Or maybe the airline paid out - not sure.

If you broke down then the breakdown insurance has some but limited benefits i.e. hotel costs/hire car costs. If you have to cancel the holiday then Travel insurance has some benefits. I don't think cancelling because you might breakdown would be covered by anyone. Usually it's illness/death that are covered.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If you choose to not use pre booked sites then you lose your money. No insurance will cover that. I would have thought that would be obvious. That would be down to the individual Ts&Cs of the individual campsite. We have just “chosen” not to go to Portugal for 2 weeks on Touriscampo due to atrocious weather and headed East for better weather so lost a significant amount of money. Our choice. We didn’t come here for more bloody rain!

If it’s due to illness it would be covered by your the insurance covering your health. I know our Lloyds travel covered our ferry and pre booked campsites many years ago when we broke down en route to Portsmouth , we didn’t make it to Blandford from Sherborne!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Smudger55
Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
If you choose to not use pre booked sites then you lose your money. No insurance will cover that. I would have thought that would be obvious. That would be down to the individual Ts&Cs of the individual campsite. We have just “chosen” not to go to Portugal for 2 weeks on Touriscampo due to atrocious weather and headed East for better weather so lost a significant amount of money. Our choice. We didn’t come here for more bloody rain!

If it’s due to illness it would be covered by your the insurance covering your health. I know our Lloyds travel covered our ferry and pre booked campsites many years ago when we broke down en route to Portsmouth , we didn’t make it to Blandford from Sherborne!
Thanks but in my ignorance didn't think it was obvious. Thinking similar to hotel booking and your trip is cut short through no fault of your own. You've actually acknowledged that your travel ins covered a breakdown, which is what I was trying to ascertain from others.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Looking to take out annual travel insurance but a question.

Travelling abroad/UK in a MHome IMHO poses different problems than the "normal" types of travel.
If you ie: have booked sites say for 2 weeks and you have a breakdown or like we did last year not breakdown but cut short travels due to possible breakdown, would your travel insurance cover you? Ours didn't, I think because we did not actually breakdown but we lost out on some site fees.

How do funsters cover this, is it travel or breakdown insurance?
Travel insurance covers that but on mine it's £100 excess.Claimed a few years ago for a rally I had paid for in SpIn..£1000..Could not travel..got paid out £900..BUSBY

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back