Trailer brake lights (1 Viewer)

Nov 5, 2017
Nouvelle Aquitaine France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1980
The brake lights on my trailer do not work. All other lights work, I have tested the continuity on the trailer all is correct, when i plug the 7 pin socket into the car every light works except the brake lights on the trailer, I have bought new sockets for car and trailer new bulbs still dont work. Reading it may be a fuse I have looked at all the fuses are ok do any of you know where the fuse might be on a Citroen Berlingo multi space 2004. I am at a total loss.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You can quite cheaply by tow socket testers. They test both male and female parts, and is something I always use to test before I test anything else.

I canā€™t see there being an individual fuse just for towbar brake lights. They will be supplied by the same supply as the vehicles brakes, and by a canbus relay live if fitted, but if the relay fuse had gone other lights would be effected.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I had a similar problem and discovered there were two fuses on the tow bar controller in the vehicle battery box one had blown and I was missing the left hand lightsšŸ˜ŠšŸ‘
We have a small black electronic box sitting on top of the battery.

OP
OP
Chickie
Nov 5, 2017
Nouvelle Aquitaine France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1980
Yes checked the output socket on the car all good. I took my car to a mates house to test his trailer his lights did not work so it must be my car, I even have a spare battery so I connected +& - to socket points all 7 individualy all worked including the brake lights, I have been racking my brains for 4 days now. Having a glass of wine now so try again tomorrow. Thanks for reply's but please keep them coming in I need my trailer.

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
If you do not have a canbus system ,It could be a poor connection at the point that the brake light supply is picked up , or a faulty cable. (allowing some voltage through but not enough amps to power the brake light bulbs) . You could try a separate cable from the brake light power supply at the rear to the trailer socket to check this.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it has a canbus bypass box it could be the brake light relay has failed.
Other than that it can only be a break somewhere in the main loom to socket wiring as the vans brake lights work..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back