Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
Hi everyone..I need some advice and help..we have been touring this year down France into Spain and back again...
Next year we would like to go to Belgium Holland, Germany, maybe Croatia and Spain.( oir 2nd time abroad in the moho.)..we have a small 6m motorhome..me,the wife and dog..
Can any one advise me on routes,places and sites to stay,docs reqd,clean air certs.etc.we have a french crit air 3 already..we hope to go through the tunnel on may 7th and come back July 3rd or 4th ish...I've looked at s4s,campercontact etc.but I like to go off people's recommendations..
Thanks for your help...

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Get the German emissions sticker from here
Broken Link Removed
Aim for Keil Sailing festival
Read about our trip here

OP
OP
B

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
Get the German emissions sticker from here
Broken Link Removed
Aim for Keil Sailing festival
Read about our trip here
Thank you..the French one was only 5 euros but the German one 17.50...!!!..is that just for major towns and cities..I hope to stay away from them..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Hi everyone..I need some advice and help..we have been touring this year down France into Spain and back again...
Next year we would like to go to Belgium Holland, Germany, maybe Croatia and Spain.( oir 2nd time abroad in the moho.)..we have a small 6m motorhome..me,the wife and dog..
Can any one advise me on routes,places and sites to stay,docs reqd,clean air certs.etc.we have a french crit air 3 already..we hope to go through the tunnel on may 7th and come back July 3rd or 4th ish...I've looked at s4s,campercontact etc.but I like to go off people's recommendations..
Thanks for your help...

German Holidays

We always travel on a Sunday to avoid the traffic and queues at the Dartford Crossing.

We would catch a cheap tunnel crossing at about 8.00 PM going -- and a cheap return at about 8.00 AM return

Easy overnight stops are at

Grave lines Aire about 7E.

Bray Dunes central carpark FOC.

(Carrefour Supermarket and services nearby)

De Panne just over the border in Belgium is a nice town and seaside resort.

My Favourite route south through Germany is to pick up the E40/42 in Dunkirk to Aachen via Charleroi. Turn off at Junction 2 just as it enters Germany near Aachen and head directly south to Monschau a town unchanged since a 1700. Then south again to the Mosel at Cochem. Tour the Mosel to Boppard and a ferry across the Rhine. For me there is not much to see on the Rhine so either side will do. There are ferries at various spots down to the south. South to Rüdesheim am Rheine from there you can make your way East to the Romantische Straße at Wurzburg.

Alternatively, head South for Lindau on the Bodensee. You are now in my favourite part of Germany, Bavaria and the Tyrol into Austria. There are many place to stop anywhere in Germany and plenty of Stellplatze if needs be. I would strongly recommend Mittenwald for a few days. You are next to the railway station and ticket to Garmish are very cheap. At Garmish station there is mountain railway to the highest Beer Keller in the world.

http://zugspitze.de/en/winter/mountain/zugspitze

We only ever stop at Stellplatz but they usually have all services but often with a small charge

Other popular visits are a lap of the old Nurburging circuit.

The science museums at Technik Museum Speyer and Sinsheim.

Technic Museum at Marxzell is not to be missed

The NSU museum at Neckarsulm has the finest collection of motorcycles plus

https://demomu.de/

http://www.fahrzeugmuseum-marxzell.de/

https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/

You could buy a Critical air sticker for Germany – they last forever and are only about 5 euro.

Oct 25, 2022
Derventio, in the Kingdom of Mercia
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SL
Exp
Since 2018
We enjoy travelling through Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany.

Belgium - Bruges, Beernum, Butgenbach (cycling and walking along old railway line)
Luxembourg - Ettelbruck ( interesting museum about Luxembourg during WW2)
Germany - lots of beautiful and interesting places to visit. Some of our favorites are:-—
Bremen - UNESCO World Heritage Sites & Schnoor Quarter
Monschau - very pretty
Xanten - Archaeological Park, a Roman town
Colditz - fantastic visit with really knowledgeable guides
Dresden - beautiful city with lots to see and do
Rothenburg ob der Tauber - pretty, scenes from ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’ filmed there
Nuremburg & Berlin- if you’re interested in history; ‘Fat Bike Tour’ in Berlin is an excellent way of seeing the city. Our guide was an English graduate with a degree in German history!
Agree with others re Lake Constance, Garmish, Bavaria, Cochem, Boppard, Koblenz, Kiel, Heidelberg

We’ve also stopped at Tolkamer, Netherlands on the way to Germany, which is next to the Rhine and on a warm sunny day watching the ships & barges with a glass of wine is a nice way to chill.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thank you..the French one was only 5 euros but the German one 17.50...!!!..is that just for major towns and cities..I hope to stay away from them..

Excuse my ignorance, is this link just for Berlin or ALL of Germanys Cities?
There are 70 cities with low emissions zones. Our sticker was checked by police in a rural area in the south, we were not in a city.
Looks like it is cheaper on this website too.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Looks like it is cheaper on this website too.

That’s another third party site with a mark up on the price.

The Berlin office linked earlier is one of the official websites and is valid everywhere in Germany.

OP
OP
B

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
German Holidays

We always travel on a Sunday to avoid the traffic and queues at the Dartford Crossing.

We would catch a cheap tunnel crossing at about 8.00 PM going -- and a cheap return at about 8.00 AM return

My Favourite route south through Germany is to pick up the E40/42 in Dunkirk to Aachen via Charleroi. Turn off at Junction 2 just as it enters Germany near Aachen and head directly south to Monschau a town unchanged since a 1700. Then south again to the Mosel at Cochem. Tour the Mosel to Boppard and a ferry across the Rhine. For me there is not much to see on the Rhine so either side will do. There are ferries at various spots down to the south. South to Rüdesheim am Rheine from there you can make your way East to the Romantische Straße at Wurzburg.

Alternatively, head South for Lindau on the Bodensee. You are now in my favourite part of Germany, Bavaria and the Tyrol into Austria. There are many place to stop anywhere in Germany and plenty of Stellplatze if needs be. I would strongly recommend Mittenwald for a few days. You are next to the railway station and ticket to Garmish are very cheap. At Garmish station there is mountain railway to the highest Beer Keller in the world.

We only ever stop at Stellplatz but they usually have all services but often with a small charge

You could buy a Critical air sticker for Germany – they last forever and are only about 5 euro.
Thank you..thats really helpful..

OP
OP
B

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
German Holidays

Bray dunes Central car park....is that the one behind the carrefour near the fuel station..

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Antwerp or Ghent require you register for clean air zone. One registration covers both. Brussels is a different system.
Easy enough to do then they send you an email with a PDF to verify it's on the system. I registered Oct 22 and its valid until Dec 24.

kevinbolton260362

Free Member
Sep 29, 2022
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9094DF
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for your help...
Agree with visiting ypres ( big free car park just outside of town ). If you can visit Leuven in Belgium as it is a beautiful university town with some wonderful buildings ). As previously mentioned, go down the Mosel ( plenty of cheap aires right on the river bank ), across to Lake Constance ( visit the Zeppelin museum ) and up the side of the Black Forest ( romantic road ), you will love it as lots of lovely small towns.

Jul 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
bailey
Hi again also visiting austria, anyone know what i need interms of clean air sticker and tolls. We are visiting saltzburg and hallstatt. Thanks

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Bray dunes Central car park....is that the one behind the carrefour near the fuel station..
No - It's in the centre of town.
There used to a spot for campervans but they seem to have stopped and everybody simply parks in the car park opposite.
The service point is still at Carrefour for 2E

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back