Tour Guide Wanted Tour of Dumfries and Galloway (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
We are off to Dumfries and Galloway next Saturday for two weeks starting at Kirk Loch council owned site at Lochmaben , any suggestions for places to visit or must see sites in the area .
thanks in anticipation.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
If you like the sea Garlieston is lovely CAMC site right on the edge of the bay.
New England Bay, Portpatrick, Port William, or the Galloway Forest area.
My dad retired up to Newton Stewart so used to spend a lot of time up there It’s a beautiful area.

Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
Did the southern section late last year. Ilse of Whithorn, Steam Packet Inn lovely food, you can stay in the field just round the corner but it's a bit of a slope. Portpatrick, nice food in Conner's, can recommend Sands of Luce campsite, biggish site with statics but fantastic facilities and right on the beach. Mull of Galloway, lovely food in the café by the lighthouse and bracing walks along the cliff tops. Drive the A712 The Queen's Way through the Galloway Forest Park, lovely and there looked to be a few wild spots but can't confirm as we didn't stay.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Go to the devils porridge museum if your into recent history its a very good museum and the whole story is fascinating i wont spoil it and tell you too much but its got nothing to do with porridge its at a place called Dornoch as you enter that area of scotland. Theres a steam train outside with something missing see if you can spot what it hasn't got that 99% have

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2020
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy G600G
Exp
Since 2015
If you like gardens I can recommend the Logan Botanic garden a few miles from the New England bay C&MC site.
Also Port Logan nearby.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
What you do will depend a bit on what you like?

There are plenty of seaside areas that are easy to get to. Some of the eating places are awesome, so you won't go hungry, on that note, give The Cream O Galloway near Gatehouse of Fleet a try. You won't regret it.
If rugged scenery is your bag, get up onto the already mentioned Queens Way along with Glen Trool. Some roads are single track with passing places, but they are so quiet, you'll have no problems & I cannot think of a road that's unsuitable for a motorhome.
The Raiders Road is worth a drive, there is no tarmac, but taken slowly (the scenery will stop you from going fast anyway) & The Otter Pool has toilets, picnic areas, kids & dogs adore the place.
Wild camping is tolerated by the forestry folks as long as you don't camp in the picnic areas, the midges are still out, but they are past the worst stages now.
Loch Doon campsite is inexpensive, but friendly & the village of Dalmellington has a good mixture of shops & filling station etc.

Try looking at the advice on the bottom of my signature, there is a lot of advice there which should make your visit sweeter.
Above all, enjoy yourselves & bring back lots of photos.

Last edited:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
It's a fabulous area to tour around, amazing from the bottom of the Mull of Galloway you are actually looking at the East side of the I.O.M
I wild camped at the lighthouse car park on summers evening. I could see, The Isle of Man, Cumbria, Northern Ireland, I was in Scotland (obviously) & in the very far distance north Wales was just visible. All from one spot.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
The Raiders Road is worth a drive, there is no tarmac, but taken slowly (the scenery will stop you from going fast anyway) & The Otter Pool has toilets, picnic areas, kids & dogs adore the place.
ambulancekidd .. has Raider Road been reopened thot that have closed it or was that just the stretch to Loch Doon?

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
. Ilse of Whithorn, Steam Packet Inn lovely food, you can stay in the field just round the corner but it's a bit of a slope.
Just a heads -up on this place- currently due to vandalism the small public toilet adjacent to the field is closed, the Elsan disposal point is also chained up so there is nowhere to dispose of black water. No note yet of when the facilities will be reinstated, they have been out of action since at least early July.

Slightly concerning is the fact that there are a few vans who have been there more than 3 days so I wonder what they’ve done with their black water 🤢 Hopefully they have spare cassettes but I wouldn’t put money on it.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
If you like the sea Garlieston is lovely CAMC site right on the edge of the bay.
New England Bay, Portpatrick, Port William, or the Galloway Forest area.
My dad retired up to Newton Stewart so used to spend a lot of time up there It’s a beautiful area.
Cant argue with davanne idea's was there a few weeks ago
Village pub decent with smallish menu (best to book)
Chip van visits once a week and was fine
Site facility were a bit dated but did the job ok
Port William lifeboat café good
Some decent walks and cycling if that's your thing.
Just be aware D&G smells of cow's ;)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
There is a great farm shop and cafe called ‘Loch Arthur Farm shop’ near Beeswing, well worth a visit to stock up on good produce mostly grown in the community that runs it and cafe serves really nice food served by really great staff.

olmaran

Free Member
Aug 18, 2022
Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Did the swc 500 a couple of years ago a lovely small fishing port at kirkudbright and a great site there we enjoyed most of the route port Patrick etc

OP
OP
KUSKUS
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
The campsite at Kirkudbright is really lovely , great facilities.
Walked into town and saw the new Aire by the swimming pool £10 per night including electric, room for three vans.
£4 to fill with water and empty WC.
IMG_20220817_144456.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back