To LPG or not to LPG... (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Hi all,
I'm looking at a van that's had the cooking and heating converted to LPG. The owner says it's much better but really, I have no idea. He says that instead of buying/exchanging bottles, you fill up at a fuel station. He also implies that it's cheaper than the regular setup (propane??).

Availability looks OK... until you get really remote.

I've heard that sometimes the valves fail on them but don't know if that's a common problem.

I'd appreciate any pointers - good idea? Not?

Cheers,
Dave

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
The only down side is locating stations that sell it as they are less common in the UK than in Europe. However, I've managed ok by using an app myLPG.eu for locating stations.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The van owner is right. The first thing I did when I bought my present motorhome (Hymer coachbuilt) was to have a big LPG tank fitted. We go all over the UK, and also across most of Europe, from Poland to Portugal.

You can top up the LPG at any place you find, whenever you want, no need to wait for the gas to run out like you have to do with exchange cylinders. There's always bound to be at least one LPG station on a reasonable daily journey. I just don't worry about gas any more, in the UK or Europe.

As you say, Autogas is cheaper than bottled gas, but that's a bonus, it would still be worth it even if it was the same, or a bit more expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes. We have a GasIT system. Possibly the best thing we every paid for after solar panels. Saves you a small fortune.

You need to see what system is fitted and where the fill point is. You don't want to be opening the gas cupboard to fill as many garages will stop you. See if you can get pictures and post here.

If buying a van privately and they cannot tell you who installed it, best to get it checked over to ensure the installation is safe and hoses etc are in date. If in doubt, post pictures here.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Because of the amount of time we spend in Europe it is a necessity for us.

However, if UK is the only destination and you use hook up then it will take quite a time to make your money back
Agree.

France, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Crete, Germany, Austria, and a few places in between, oh and the U.K. never had a problem filling with LPG at regular filling stations. It’s a non-issue. YMMV of course!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We used to go to Spain a lot but now I fitted a compressor fridge we'll hardly use any gas, the present level is over 50% and I haven't filled it since 2021

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Echo all the above - LPG tank is the way to go - I have never had a problem finding filling station in the UK and in France it is almost everywhere on the autoroutes.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
LPG for us too. Saves faffing with lugging and changing bottles of gas.

LPG costs significantly less and is just more convenient IMHO.

LPG is the way to go if travelling outside UK, where there are no Calor exchange bottles available.

We have just one 11 kg refillable LPG bottle and a 6 kg Calor exchangeable, as a reserve but unused since refillable installed 6 years ago. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Definitely worth having if you'll benefit from having it and it doesn't hike the MH purchase cost! As well as the advice given above you also need to check the expiry date of the cylinders and hoses - the date on them is their expiry date and the cylinders only have 10 years 'safety' lifespan before they need recertifying (unfortunately I don't know who does this now) or replacing which can be expensive.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
We've gone for a larger vehicle (LWB MAN TGE replacing a VW T6) with an LPG tank for heating (Truma 4e), hot water and cooking however I am also installing an Eberspacher D4 (4kW) blown air heater. This will mean that we have dual sources of heating and can manage fuel resources better both in the UK and Europe.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Yes. We have a GasIT system. Possibly the best thing we every paid for after solar panels. Saves you a small fortune.

You need to see what system is fitted and where the fill point is. You don't want to be opening the gas cupboard to fill as many garages will stop you. See if you can get pictures and post here.

If buying a van privately and they cannot tell you who installed it, best to get it checked over to ensure the installation is safe and hoses etc are in date. If in doubt, post pictures here.

+1

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We find it essential if travelling for extended periods throughout different countries.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Hi all,
I'm looking at a van that's had the cooking and heating converted to LPG. The owner says it's much better but really, I have no idea. He says that instead of buying/exchanging bottles, you fill up at a fuel station. He also implies that it's cheaper than the regular setup (propane??).

Availability looks OK... until you get really remote.

I've heard that sometimes the valves fail on them but don't know if that's a common problem.

I'd appreciate any pointers - good idea? Not?

Cheers,
Dave
It's not a conversion in the sense that equipment for cooking/ fridge/ heating has been changed its just the gas supply. As said instead of having exchange bottles to lug around they have been replaced with a refillable bottle system .
It's more convenient , cheaper and relatively straightforward to fill.It can be easily changed back to exchange bottles if you prefer that but its a backwards step.A refillable system will probably set you back at least £500. You just need to make sure that the bottles and hoses have a reasonable life left in them. All hoses and bottles should have a date stamp/ sticker on them.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

Often trotted out the fill point in the locker thing but we had a fill point inside the gas locker for 10 years almost and were never refused once! In the OPS situation if there's a system already fitted I certainly wouldn't alter the fill point unless it actually was a problem rather than some stories of it being
LPG was one of the best things we ever fitted the biggest advantage being your ability to top up whenever you like rather than wait until the cylinder is empty and swap it

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Often trotted out the fill point in the locker thing but we had a fill point inside the gas locker for 10 years almost and were never refused once! In the OPS situation if there's a system already fitted I certainly wouldn't alter the fill point unless it actually was a problem rather than some stories of it being
LPG was one of the best things we ever fitted the biggest advantage being your ability to top up whenever you like rather than wait until the cylinder is empty and swap it
Same here, 10 years and never any problem with the filler in the locker

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Our first van had an underslung lpg tank which was a new idea for us coming from a caravan. However we found it so good that when we bought our current van we automatically got a gaslow system fitted. Everything everyone above has said I would agree with. No bottles to hump around, fill when you want not when bottle empty, just as you do with diesel. The relevant apps help you find fill up places. Your system seems to already be installed and you don’t say whether the fill point is in the side of the van. I do think that is worthwhile as there are places in the uk which will not fill otherwise. One place we used in Scotland had a notice to that effect.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Often trotted out the fill point in the locker thing
That's because it is true. I have been challenged twice when opening gas cupboard to check both cylinders are off before filling. Since then I always ensure they are off before I get there and have never had a repeat problem. Twice in France the attendant came out to check where the filler was, on of those occasions it was because I opened the locker to extract the adaptor before fitting.

I was also queuing to fill at Morrisons in Ipswich recently. The van in front was a Swift with the filler in the locker door. Again the attendant came out to check before releasing the pump. I had no such challenge. I asked the attendant why when I went in to pay and she replied it was because the gun was lifted up high, and people try to fill them while in the locker. My fill point is in the skirt.

I have either been unlucky, or you have been very lucky. Black Swan syndrome! (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
That's because it is true. I have been challenged twice when opening gas cupboard to check both cylinders are off before filling. Since then I always ensure they are off before I get there and have never had a repeat problem. Twice in France the attendant came out to check where the filler was, on of those occasions it was because I opened the locker to extract the adaptor before fitting.

I was also queuing to fill at Morrisons in Ipswich recently. The van in front was a Swift with the filler in the locker door. Again the attendant came out to check before releasing the pump. I had no such challenge. I asked the attendant why when I went in to pay and she replied it was because the gun was lifted up high, and people try to fill them while in the locker. My fill point is in the skirt.

I have either been unlucky, or you have been very lucky. Black Swan syndrome! (y)
Is it a problem because garages don't like fill points in the locker or because they're worried about people refilling calor cylinders with the eBay adapters? But I can only say what happened to me and the next reply had the same experience! Either way if it's a system already fitted I wouldn't change it unless it's a problem.
I wonder how people with safefill cylinders get on as far as I know they can't be refilled with an external point but they do seem reasonably popular.

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
Having read many responses here, and various websites, about LPG refillable system for “domestic” use and the current EU regulations, it seems that Total in France, Repsol in Spain and Esso in Italy have refused to allow refilling of “domestic” tanks (LPG only sold for propulsion of the vehicle).
The regulations do not seem to be rigorously enforced at smaller and independent filling stations.
However, is the advice to carry a spare “supermarket” tank, say 6kg, just in case things get a bit tricky?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
No problems with the Repsol garages I've used.....

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
However, is the advice to carry a spare “supermarket” tank, say 6kg, just in case things get a bit tricky?

With 2x 11kg Alugas refillables I just wouldn’t consider it necessary. Just completed 6 weeks in Portugal and Spain with very changeable weather, so used the heating as well as hot water and cooking. Went through 2x 11kg refill with no problems finding a station at all.

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
With 2x 11kg Alugas refillables I just wouldn’t consider it necessary. Just completed 6 weeks in Portugal and Spain with very changeable weather, so used the heating as well as hot water and cooking. Went through 2x 11kg refill with no problems finding a station at all.
A bit concerned about the fridge draining the gas tanks!

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Having read many responses here, and various websites, about LPG refillable system for “domestic” use and the current EU regulations, it seems that Total in France, Repsol in Spain and Esso in Italy have refused to allow refilling of “domestic” tanks (LPG only sold for propulsion of the vehicle).
The regulations do not seem to be rigorously enforced at smaller and independent filling stations.
I’ve not experienced any issues in Total, France or Repsol, Spain over the last 3 months. It may be the law has changed but I’ve not noticed it. This has the same ring about it as 6+ years ago when some on here declared Repsol had a new corporate policy prohibiting the filling of leisure vehicles. Yet here we are!

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
I’ve not experienced any issues in Total, France or Repsol, Spain over the last 3 months. It may be the law has changed but I’ve not noticed it. This has the same ring about it as 6+ years ago when some on here declared Repsol had a new corporate policy prohibiting the filling of leisure vehicles. Yet here we are!
It seems to be a bit hit and miss - the reports from Motorhomers on this forum are mixed and they are all valid, based on their individual experience. The French newspaper article about Total was pretty compelling. The website https://www.mylpg.eu offers advice and locations where LPG is available, but cannot guarantee that the staff at the individual filling stations will be prepared to allow a gas refill. External filler point seems more successful than an internal one (certainly not advocating filling individual "supermarket" gas bottles).
Gaslow are very bullish about it, as they sell their kit all over the EU and cannot understand the problem!
Perhaps we will just be belt and braces and take/buy a "supermarket" bottle of gas as a backup, in case things are difficult and we need to keep that fridge running!

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
A bit concerned about the fridge draining the gas tanks!

I can’t comment on fridge use as we have a compressor unit, and contrary to the duff info often put about, it’s very efficient and uses minimal power. That aside, I can’t imagine that somewhere during your travels you wouldn’t pass an autogas filling location - they’re not hard to find.

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
I can’t comment on fridge use as we have a compressor unit, and contrary to the duff info often put about, it’s very efficient and uses minimal power. That aside, I can’t imagine that somewhere during your travels you wouldn’t pass an autogas filling location - they’re not hard to find.
I agree, not hard to find a gas filling station - it is whether they are prepared to sell/pump the gas for "domestic" use and not "propulsion of the vehicle".
You have a compressor fridge?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Is it a problem because garages don't like fill points in the locker or because they're worried about people refilling calor cylinders with the eBay adapters? But I can only say what happened to me and the next reply had the same experience! Either way if it's a system already fitted I wouldn't change it unless it's a problem.
I wonder how people with safefill cylinders get on as far as I know they can't be refilled with an external point but they do seem reasonably popular.
Same experiences. Mine is in the locker. Never been challenged.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back