Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Completely new motorhomer
I have never seen a cattle egret before, and saw one today. I was very pleased to be able to get a picture of him/her following a successful hunt! This was at Ferry Meadows, I had stayed overnight at the campsite there while visiting family. Sadly the weather was very dull, so not the best of shots, due to the poo lighting and blown my whites

Attachments

• 85DCF25E-FF38-4026-B334-5043D3867C82.jpeg
    85DCF25E-FF38-4026-B334-5043D3867C82.jpeg
    565.1 KB · Views: 231
OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Is that one of its chicks it's holding or some unfortunate morsel for dinner?

Ah, just realised you said 3 species so not its own chick.
Well deduced, although if you zoom in you should be able to see it more clearly and it's a vole

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Brilliant photo! You should send it to Countryfile for next year’s Calendar (although they’d probably put a ‘trigger warning’ on it)! :rofl:

When we lived in Liberia they were known as Cow Birds - I didn’t know they were called Cattle Egrets here!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Brilliant photo! You should send it to Countryfile for next year’s Calendar (although they’d probably put a ‘trigger warning’ on it)! :rofl:

When we lived in Liberia they were known as Cow Birds - I didn’t know they were called Cattle Egrets here!

I don't think they are called Cattle Egrets in Britain just Large & Small Egrets. Cattle Egrets are usually found in places like Africa and ride on the beasts back. Never seen that in the UK but I stand to be corrected. :unsure:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I don't think they are called Cattle Egrets in Britain just Large & Small Egrets. Cattle Egrets are usually found in places like Africa and ride on the beasts back. Never seen that in the UK but I stand to be corrected. :unsure:
We’ve got photos of cow birds riding on cow’s backs outside our window in Bomi Hills!

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp

It’s a cattle egret in winter plumage. You do get them in the UK, I am in several wildlife photography groups and many others have seen them too. It’s a rarer bird so usually makes the bird sightings lists when they appear, and it’s known amongst the photographers and twitchers that there is one in that field. The little egret has a black beak. The great white egret is much larger. In a different photo I took you can see the fading colours from it’s summer plumage. I will look for it.

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp

Thank you. Haha, yes, I did wonder if wider audiences might be upset for the poor vole. I am in a bird group on Facebook that is a mix of people who like birds, and photographers. Some of the group members get quite upset with some of the raptor pictures with their prey, but they are often fantastic photographs

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
A335EE64-0A29-4006-BD5E-DE9DC83F6FAA.jpeg
421535FA-88A2-4F35-B7CC-A3595405EB48.jpeg

Here we go, it is much easier to tell it is a cattle egret in this one. Still some colouration on its head where summer plumage hasn’t completely gone. Yellow beak, not black beak. Stumpy neck, not long elegant neck as in GWE.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Couple of quick questions Poppy and Hamish
Are your pics straight out of the camera - or do you post process at all?
Do you shoot in RAW or JPeg format

Just trying to understand how to be a better "snapper"

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
There is a breeding rookery of them near the Great Ouse on the fens😊Also little Egrets👍😊

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Couple of quick questions Poppy and Hamish
Are your pics straight out of the camera - or do you post process at all?
Do you shoot in RAW or JPeg format

Just trying to understand how to be a better "snapper"
I shoot in JPEG. I don't do a lot of post processing, but perhaps some cropping and minor adjustments to exposure/shadows etc if the picture is a little dark for example (in Lightroom, not Photoshop)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
There is a breeding rookery of them near the Great Ouse on the fens😊Also little Egrets👍😊

Whereabouts on the Gt Ouse, my Father had a farm abutting the Little Ouse many years ago.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Whereabouts on the Gt Ouse, my Father had a farm abutting the Little Ouse many years ago.
Down near Earith Im sorry I can’t recall the Fen though but you could walk fairly close and observe from other side of a lake😊

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.