Thinking of buying a B 678 - and I'm confused.com (1 Viewer)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
A bit red other than that a nice van.
We looked at it in the showroom Lenny, it is a nice van, but nowhere near as good as the op’s van, the rear lounge layout is a dream van for me, I’d love one and if I had the dosh, preferably a liner for two, but I could live with the merc frankia if I won a few Bob on the lotto👍

OP
OP
OldCodger

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Painful.
We always go Newhave/Dieppe and drive down.
We just did a trial - heading to our place in Portugal. It’s the same cost in the ferry as taking the train and driving through France on the motorway. It takes two days less and doesn’t put 2k on the clock

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We looked at it in the showroom Lenny, it is a nice van, but nowhere near as good as the op’s van, the rear lounge layout is a dream van for me, I’d love one and if I had the dosh, preferably a liner for two, but I could live with the merc frankia if I won a few Bob on the lotto👍
Can't stand rear lounges too caravan like & you sacrifice a big garage.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We just did a trial - heading to our place in Portugal. It’s the same cost in the ferry as taking the train and driving through France on the motorway. It takes two days less and doesn’t put 2k on the clock
We don't use toll roads a return ferry to Dieppe is £160 - £180 against about £1000 - £1200 on Britney ferries.
Makes more sense for Portugal than Spain.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thank you. This is on an Al-KO chassis but is allegedly 3.0l how do you tell the difference between the various models ? DL, CL, PL etc - it is bewildering
It’s a bit of a lottery with the different prefixes I’m not sure that anyone really knows🤔😊

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Why not buy in Portugal & save yourself the nightmare of importing & the cost? it won't be cheap ask Tea Bag as I believe he imported his .
Hi Gus.
Have not got the exact figures,away at the moment and the internet is off and on. It WAS expensive,but there were a couple of factors in play,one, not one for looking to far ahead nowadays,thought it did not matter it was classed as a Van. Mistake at Wildax end and me for not checking log book/whatever its called now. Plus..........There was/IS " NO NCC aproved Certificate of Conformity.......( Sticker on the side door says It HAS....". Can supply photo of it.......... " "" Didn't need one " Wildax HQ....response... As it happens it DID to make a smooth transition to Porty plates. Hey Ho .. Then.. being that the DVLA kept sending back three or four times. " Van with windows " despite us taking pics fromEVeRY angle inside/outside roof and bottom,beds up/down cooker fridge and LOO !! Bike rack on the back doors.... ( Still got those on file.)
This took us over the finishing time of the cheaper import. However,at the time,i did not know if i would still have a driving licence,due to two heart attacks,so rather than go back to the UK and sell it,then come back here and find another one,i chose the line of least resistance.( Plus the fact its our second Wildax........ and not a bad bit of kit.....Conny.3 )
Will furnish figures later on. We are " Basketing in the sun " at HQ. ie. Campismo Municipal Praia de Mira.
In the past,Portugal was noted for applying a big chunk of Import tax on vehicles......
Tea Bag.

OP
OP
OldCodger

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
In the past,Portugal was noted for applying a big chunk of Import tax on vehicles......
Thanks teabag - we want to take a LHD van (probably A Class ) from EU to UK and then to Portugal when we “emigrate” via a D7 visa…

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Thanks teabag - we want to take a LHD van (probably A Class ) from EU to UK and then to Portugal when we “emigrate” via a D7 visa…
Hi OldCodger.
We really had not thought of " emigrating " but if we did,i would have chosen France,however. Our Claire an family moved over to Portugal.......near.Mortaqua. ( Inland from Coimbra ) We came for a "Holiday ? " visit on her birthday, 2005'ish. Fell in love with the way of life,being retired,went home,sold the bunalow and moved over ourselves. Old but true advice. When buying a property,check. 1.barking Dogs. 2.Church Bells and 3.. Noises from Bridge Joints.....WHAT ? A bypass went near Sinde ( Tabua ) The bridge joint noise is driving them mad.
Will let you know the true cost in a few days time,as we are staying here ( Praia de Mira ) until the weather breaks...... " The Sun has got his hat on... :ROFLMAO: " Off the top of my head it was over £ 2,000 plus. With all the problems mentioned in our above post,we reverted to use an " Agent " as was reccommended,result.
The first one we Imported,pre Brexit, cost Train fare to the UK Embassy in Lisbon who did the paperwork and about £600..
Best of luck whatever you elect to do," I " thought it worth the price to bring this one over because i knew the vehicle and did not want to part with it..( We are joined at the hip (y) ) Don't care which side i sit to drive ,as long as the vehicle gets me from A-B and keeps my feet dry..
Tea Bag

OP
OP
OldCodger

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Hi OldCodger.
We really had not thought of " emigrating " but if we did,i would have chosen France,however. Our Claire an family moved over to Portugal.......near.Mortaqua. ( Inland from Coimbra ) We came for a "Holiday ? " visit on her birthday, 2005'ish. Fell in love with the way of life,being retired,went home,sold the bunalow and moved over ourselves. Old but true advice. When buying a property,check. 1.barking Dogs. 2.Church Bells and 3.. Noises from Bridge Joints.....WHAT ? A bypass went near Sinde ( Tabua ) The bridge joint noise is driving them mad.
Will let you know the true cost in a few days time,as we are staying here ( Praia de Mira ) until the weather breaks...... " The Sun has got his hat on... :ROFLMAO: " Off the top of my head it was over £ 2,000 plus. With all the problems mentioned in our above post,we reverted to use an " Agent " as was reccommended,result.
The first one we Imported,pre Brexit, cost Train fare to the UK Embassy in Lisbon who did the paperwork and about £600..
Best of luck whatever you elect to do," I " thought it worth the price to bring this one over because i knew the vehicle and did not want to part with it..( We are joined at the hip (y) ) Don't care which side i sit to drive ,as long as the vehicle gets me from A-B and keeps my feet dry..
Tea Bag
Thank you. Sadly, Post Brexit things are more complicated in everything to do with moving to and living in Portugal (and Europe more widely)

We have a place near Tomar

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back