Thetford 3150 3 way fridge OK on electric but not getting cold on gas (1 Viewer)

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
Hi All, I have read through many of the informative threads on fridge problems but thought I would highlight my own problems to this issue and how I have solved them.

My fridge works fine on EHU and when traveling (12v) but fails to get cold on gas.

• There is plenty of gas and it is getting through, igniting the burner and stays on.
  • I had the fridge serviced last August inc having the burner blown through and chimney cleaned.
  • The "chimney" above the burner does not get as hot as it does when fridge on electric.

I have previously changed the thermistor on the fridge vanes and it is working on electric so should be OK?

Having read that people question the height of the burner flames and suspect a slight blockage in the jet, I removed the burner/jet unit and used my compressor to blow it through, I even managed to take the jet out and blow it through both ways and found 5 Amp fuse wire (remember them?) perfect to pock through. On replacing the burner/jet unit I have restarted the fridge on gas and the flames now seem stronger and the chimney is getting hot. I have tried to measure the height of the flames and estimate them to be about 5 mm. This is similar in height to before but the flames do seem to be "stronger" with more of a roar.

After 30 mins the fridge is now getting colder on gas, something it failed to do after 12 hours before.

Conclusions and things I have learned....

If fridge works on EHU but not on gas all is not lost and and you may not need to replace it (£1500ish)

Just because there are flames at the burner may still mean there is a slight blockage.

On gas if the "chimney" does not get hot it probably means the burner is restricted.

- Burner/jet unit easy to replace and the unit costs £35 - £45 if you do not fancy unblocking it.

I hope the above problem/solution may help others faced with problematic fridges!

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Many years ago I had a similar issue.
Apparently the freon or whatever the coolant gasses are, weren't collecting back into the container at the bottom of the fridge.
Fixed by removing the fridge, turning it upside down for an hour or so , refitting it to the van , again leave for a while , and magic, worked fine again.
Hope all that makes sense.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back