Then and now. Computers. (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2017
SK10
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
1982 was the year i started with a well known bank learning z/OS structured assembler -on the training courses we had to type our own punched cards - a nightmare for me who hadn't used keyboards before, my university degree had all been hand written. How times have changed!
Wasn’t it MVS in 1982?

I had almost 40 years as an IBM mainframe network Sysprog starting in 1982. Never did learn to program, always got colleagues to write my code for me.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Somewhere up in the attic I still have the first electronic 'pocket' calculator, bought by my fathers company in about 1970.

Texas Instruments, it ran on mains or a rechargeable battery, it's the size of a thick paperback and cost £100, which would have been a couple of months wages at the time.
They had to have a board decision on to buy it.
It takes a couple of seconds to product the results, and the numbers are displayed using red wires.

Prior to this point they had been using manual calculators to run the company (a large ship repair company with over 200 employees and thousands of payments in and out every week).

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Somewhere up in the attic I still have the first electronic 'pocket' calculator, bought by my fathers company in about 1970.

Texas Instruments, it ran on mains or a rechargeable battery, it's the size of a thick paperback and cost £100, which would have been a couple of months wages at the time.
It takes a couple of seconds to product the results, and the numbers are displayed using red wires.

Prior to this point they had been using manual calculators to run the company (a large ship repair company with over 200 employees and thousands of payments in and out every week).

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Wasn’t it MVS in 1982?

I had almost 40 years as an IBM mainframe network Sysprog starting in 1982. Never did learn to program, always got colleagues to write my code for me.
sorry yes - it evolved into the z/os a bit later

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Slightly off topic - in my first job in the City, I had to learn how to use a telex terminal to communicate with clients overseas. My first experience of a computer was being shown by a secretary how to operate one of the firm's precious IBM Displaywriters, an early dedicated word processor and very expensive. It used 8" floppy disks for storage. This was the beginning of a transition from electric golfball typewriters.

One of the Partners was the proud owner of an Apple II personal computer. Early adopter.

I also remember many hours spent using the huge Xerox bulk photocopier (that was almost as big as a Mini) in the basement, to prepare Court bundles.

Anyone want a fax machine? OK, I guess not. I will stick it in the Loft. One day ... Antiques Roadshow ... :giggle:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

That calculator could be valuable!

I inherited several different slide rules from my dad, who was an engineer. Imagine how much of the UK's built environment was designed using slide rules for engineering calculations. And it hasn't fallen down.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Slightly off topic - in my first job in the City, I had to learn how to use a telex terminal to communicate with clients overseas. My first experience of a computer was being shown by a secretary how to operate one of the firm's precious IBM Displaywriters, an early dedicated word processor and very expensive. It used 8" floppy disks for storage. This was the beginning of a transition from electric golfball typewriters.

One of the Partners was the proud owner of an Apple II personal computer. Early adopter.

I also remember many hours spent using the huge Xerox bulk photocopier (that was almost as big as a Mini) in the basement, to prepare Court bundles.

Anyone want a fax machine? OK, I guess not. I will stick it in the Loft. One day ... Antiques Roadshow ... :giggle:
CQCQ
22206 SAS G
8811031 KELOX G

LIKE U LEARN TLX 1ST
NO FLOPPY, ALL PUNCH TAPE!

RGDS

NNNN
22206 SAS G
8811031 KELOX G

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That calculator could be valuable!

I inherited several different slide rules from my dad, who was an engineer. Imagine how much of the UK's built environment was designed using slide rules for engineering calculations. And it hasn't fallen down.
there is a slide rule museum..

and if you check on ebay , some models are quite expensive, sadly mine was a common model and only worth about 30 quid

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
My first experience of a computer was being shown by a secretary how to operate one of the firm's precious IBM Displaywriters, an early dedicated word processor and very expensive. It used 8" floppy disks for storage.
I joined a company in the early 90s where they had something similar. The secretary didn't understand file names, and for years had just been adding anything she produced to the end of the previous document. As a result, the 8" floppy only had one file on it ..... with hundreds of pages. It used to take her ages to search for anything historical!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My first calculator bought in S Africa around 1974,

Red LED display , may have been a Texas .. but can't be sure

Left it on the car dashboard and the heat from the sun distorted the keyboard.. I was well peed off

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back