The caravan club (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
We stayed members after 1st Year as family and friends live in York so we use Rowntree Park a lot, going on Sat for a few days for my birthday so I can catch up with my mates and sample the vast array of pubs on offer :)
We also use Brighton and the race course sites are handy for night stops.
They don't charge for dogs or restrict numbers and as we have 3 it's useful at times.
I would look at where you plan to visit, if where you want to be has a cc site might be worth joining.
We joined c&cc 1st year but only used once. Didn't renew. But as intending a tour around Scotland in April May will probably rejoin at that point as they have some great beach locations and again allow dogs for free with no restriction on number.
Pick and choose to suit, you don't have to fall in the rut of auto renewal either, cheapest option is join on line pay via dd then couple weeks later via website cancel the dd. We will have had a 10 month gap with c&cc so worth it.

Lin

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We really like the New Forest and have used other Camping in the Forest sites. As said above, you save being a member, so 5 nights I think it is and you have your fees back. Plus other discounts etc. As we used our Folding Camper less and less over the years, I let my C&CC lapse, but now in the MH, I have recouped membership already this year alone.
But it does depend, as said, how and where you wish to camp.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We like to use aires and municipal sites when abroad but we are members of the CC and have been since we bought our MH .we like the sites you know what you get but we also like the choice of city and town sites so we can walk or cycle to the local amenities.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
That's true but I still like you.:p

C&CC for us, CC are very tugger orientated and unless you've got brand new kit they seem to look down on you but each to their own eh (y)
Not so these days Paul, we have seen more motorhomes on various CC sites last year then tugs.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Am I weird ????
Not sure, just checking your AVATAR...................Still checking......................YES. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Been in both clubs for a long time, 25 years in CC, no problems with them. Use sites from both networks and usually book ferries through one or the other.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hi, this question will have been asked before? On advice from a friend of our dad who has lived in his 1981 autotrail for years, he has told us to join this club or forget about enjoying our autotrail! Is he right , all opinions will be much appreciated , nade and steve.

Unless he explained why he took the view he does you might be better to give either of the clubs a try (as anon member) and make your own mind up. Even if he did give reasons you might not necessarily agree with him.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are members of both.

Combining both site networks gives good coverage in UK.

We use the CC European guides as the reports are written by members who have actually visited the sites. They are not simply owners advertising blurb.

Our M/H is insured with CC&C as is our house as they are both covered for trips of up to 180 days. Many house insurers will not cover for more than 30 days with the house empty.

Having said that, it is not necessary to join either club. The best idea is to give it a go for a year and see what you think when it comes around to renewal time.

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Has many have said look at want you want from belonging to a club. There are three choices I have belonged to two of them CC and Motor Caravaners club. I belong to the CC at the moment, as I found out that the caravaners club
magazine just dealt with mostly rallies etc not much tech.However the CC does not deal with much tech either but at least as the odd motorhome article in, along with stories rallies etc. I do realize that rally reports are probably what most people want to read about. However we travel abroad at least once a year and I have checked all my ferry prices and insurances etc with the rest and i can save at least well over double the annual subs, so I stay in the club.
I am a firm believer that life should be a mixture of all things modern like the fun club on line, and all other forms of communication tel/letters etc. It's good to know that the CC is on the other end of the line when things go wrong
I have had to rely on them several times as a first time owner of a motorhome and they have been first class. To conclude if the Motor Carravaners Club did get their act together and offer a more varied magazine and more importantly a proper overseas discount booking scheme/and other touring aids they would sweep up, as I am not aware that this club does these things in a in house way.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I am a member of both clubs and find them invaluable.you know what facilities to expect ,and almost every site I have used over past thirty years has had helpful ,cheerful wardens . Both clubs offer competitive insurance and discounted channel crossings ..as a solo motorhomer I tend to use c&cc most because they give single person and age concession discounts.
I joined the c&cc
Last year,I too am a solo traveler,I didn't know they do discounts for us,,handy when I return later on,,cheers,,Ian. .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I keep thinking I must cancel my membership to both clubs but I keep forgetting and I am unsure what I need to do anyway.

I think the C&CC have got their pricing all wrong these days.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I keep thinking I must cancel my membership to both clubs but I keep forgetting and I am unsure what I need to do anyway.

Cheaper for me though ,as they charge by the number of campers,not like the cc which charge for the unit .for me I pay a solo rate plus concession as over 60yrs my ave cost per night last year was a tad under £15 . . So c&cc most of the time for me.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
i use the small sites such as CL,s ,the large sites just do not do it for me .

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision

The c&cc pricing is ok if you are single, have kids or qualify for age discount like Les now - otherwise they can be expensive. Their Camping in the Forest at Roundhill, New Forest (no ehu, no showers but has loos) was almost the same price as cc Black Knowl a couple of miles away last year:confused:

& we're in both too:LOL:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
The c&cc pricing is ok if you are single, have kids or qualify for age discount like Les now - otherwise they can be expensive. Their Camping in the Forest at Roundhill, New Forest (no ehu, no showers but has loos) was almost the same price as cc Black Knowl a couple of miles away last year:confused:

& we're in both too:LOL:
Just for info - Roundhill does have showers. No EHU admitted, but portacabin style showers block, Wash Up and Dog Wash

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Thanks for all the replies, as we are newbies and have stayed at only one site when we visited the nec, and used brit stop for our other travels please tell us what a c l is ? Basically we want to stay at a site with water and electric close to a dog friendly beach, as we have tried a weeks holiday without the hook up and used two 6 kg gas bottles in 5 days, Our van has all we need so shops and amenities are less important than a dog friendly beach, nade and steve.

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
Cl's or Cs's are usually 5 van sites connected to the CC or C&CC whichever one you are with you can go on website choose cl or cs sites and then you can click on preferences in the area you want to stay, ie ehu, dog friendly and whatever else you require from a site.

Liz

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Try some of the temporary holiday sites with the camping and caravan club,for e.g. Burton Bradstock. Right by the beach near Lyme Regis. CL and CS sites are member only 5 van sites minimum facility.

Deleted User
Cl is a certified location, for up to 5 vans, there are ones with CC and I think c&cc call them cs certified sites. But they also available via other companies and can be anywhere with varying facilities. Fields in the middle of nowhere or in busy cities.
Berwick CC site is across the road from the beach, and I think one called Seahouses? Is right next to beach both in the north east.
Great Yarmouth CC site is a race course site and next to the sand dunes.
If you search on CC website you can search for sites close to beaches without logging in, same with c&cc.
Not sure about Devon as we struggled finding places in Devon and Cornwall our first year that had direct beach access with either club.
The descriptions with both clubs can be a little creative and we found it impossible to get anywhere from some of the sites on foot as I guess they are aimed at caravans with a car. There is usually some sort of public transport but if we are taking the dogs out to the beach we want to be able to walk there in safety.
There are a lot of private sites in Devon & Cornwall and with only one dog you should be ok (usually 2 dog limit).

Lin:)

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
Why forget about it? That seems a very odd thing to say.

Does he think that the only places you can go are run by that shower?

I'm not a member any more and can't see any circumstances where I would contemplate re joining.

The only reason I can think of to be a member is access to the CL network but I've never once been asked for membership details at one either while I was a member or since I cancelled so it's not really required.

Of course if you want to stay on their stalags sites it might be different but I'd rather sell the van than do that.

We gave up on 'camping' in UK PLC where they rub their hands together when they see you coming, we found that the annual cost of membership for the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravan Club plus the very high cost of a pitch for the night on their sites was not for us. We found it cheaper to drive to the continent, lots of free or very cheap 5 euro a night Aires or a campsite with all facilities for 13 to 17 euros a night with an ACSI card. We are made welcome in France, Germany and Holland low cost or free parking, because they want us to spend our money in their shops. Often facilities for Motorhomes to empty waste and fill with water are provided at no cost. So we take advantage of this, buying wine and great food in their shops; result, we have very happy memories of our trips over the channel. If you plan it right the cost of the tunnel is very reasonable, we don't mind mid week at 8.00pm then overnight in the Aire at Wissant, next morning off on our jollies yipee!!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
You do have to check the 5 van sites with any club since they have various facilities - a lot still without EHU - yet some are actually just a great campsite, with everything you need, except they are limited to 5 units. The main difference is that one caters for tent campers as well as us and tuggers - and the other doesn't. It's in their name!

Oh - don't get a drive over drain at CS/CL s - but there again you don't on all that many full sites in the UK TBH whether they are Club sites or normal commercial ones.

It's choice isn't it - do whatever suits YOU! Belonging to a club does not restrict your going anywhere else instead as far as I'm aware!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We gave up on 'camping' in UK PLC where they rub their hands together when they see you coming, we found that the annual cost of membership for the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravan Club plus the very high cost of a pitch for the night on their sites was not for us. We found it cheaper to drive to the continent, lots of free or very cheap 5 euro a night Aires or a campsite with all facilities for 13 to 17 euros a night with an ACSI card. We are made welcome in France, Germany and Holland low cost or free parking, because they want us to spend our money in their shops. Often facilities for Motorhomes to empty waste and fill with water are provided at no cost. So we take advantage of this, buying wine and great food in their shops; result, we have very happy memories of our trips over the channel. If you plan it right the cost of the tunnel is very reasonable, we don't mind mid week at 8.00pm then overnight in the Aire at Wissant, next morning off on our jollies yipee!!

Each to their own .the Op question was about camping in uk in Club sites.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not so these days Paul, we have seen more motorhomes on various CC sites last year then tugs.
Me too - very noticeable the shift towards MH. As to membership we use CLs mostly but their sites are excellent for Winter forays.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
For solo travellers the C&CC works out cheaper than the majority of other sites and if you are 60 plus the age concession also makes this a cheaper option. As I fit the bill for both criteria it is a no brainer for me to use their sites.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We are members of both Caravan Club and c & c c, yes there are all sort of stories about the pricing and hitler type wardens, you can get those sort of attitudes in any pub, restaurant shop etc etc.
So we take as we find, keep a distance when it suits us or join in with the throng if they are our sort of group.
They are 100`s of campsites outside of the big two so really you have a fountain of comfortable facilities, it comes down to finding what suits you.

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
CL and CS sites are member only 5 van sites minimum facility.
Just a point of clarification. Caravan Club CLs and C&CC CSs are only restricted to member use because that is a condition imposed upon the site owners by the CC and C&CC respectively. Some owners welcome that and others would prefer more freedom. The law does not require that they be restricted to members only. Fun CFLs (I think) and MCC CLs (I know) allow non-member use. At the end of the day it is up to the site owner.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Thanks for all the replies, as we are newbies and have stayed at only one site when we visited the nec, and used brit stop for our other travels please tell us what a c l is ? Basically we want to stay at a site with water and electric close to a dog friendly beach, as we have tried a weeks holiday without the hook up and used two 6 kg gas bottles in 5 days, Our van has all we need so shops and amenities are less important than a dog friendly beach, nade and steve.
Flippin heck, that seems a lot of gas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back